Using a hang-on filter as a refugium...

peacemaker

• SRC Member

Has anyone done the above with success? Pls kindly share your experience and setup (photos would be wonderful)? I'm planning to do something similar, but besides light and flow requirements, space can be a factor for healthy growth of chaeto, and the limits of the hang-on filter is just that. <_<

• SRC Member

Yes, yes. I do not plan to add anything except cheato. Of course, a proper refugium contains many other things like DSB or different types of mangrove, but mine is just a nano tank, so I can only afford to keep cheato.

Anyone else has success with it? What are the modifications to look into?

• SRC Member

hi, me doing this thing now, using a gex hangon to contain chaeto, i look high n low before i see the gex thing, it has one of the most transparent body for maximum transmission of light. i also remove all the filter media to made space for the chaeto

• SRC Member

Interesting... do you mind sharing some photos of this gex hang-on filter? I have the same concern about the surface of chaeto that is exposed to light. If the lights are fixed on top of the filter, only a small surface area is covered. Where do you plan to position your light source?