RedSea Berlin Protien Skimmer

Acanthurus pyroferus

• SRC Member

I guess waiting is the patience of all virtues and even if I were to change to the much talked about beckett or EV....mature wise my tank might not be able to sustain SPS that quickly given the chance. Thats why I don't have anything to show right now except a few LPS and softies but I intend to fully go full speed ahead come next year.

If I become too impatient now....I might loose some precious SPS and that would honestly put me down knowing fully well that I could have waited.... :(

I'd like to do this right once and for all so I can show and tell how I go about maitaining my full SPS by then.... ;)

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I become too impatient now....I might loose some precious SPS and that would honestly put me down knowing fully well that I could have waited.... :(

precisely, with a bigger and probably better skimmer, one can afford to be that slightly bit impatient and get going rightaway...instead of one year or more...

by then, like i said earlier, one can probably even go skimmerless....the choice of skimmers become inconsequencial already...

so i guess the message to those who want to keep sps as well as you could in the 6ft is that you can stock sps with a redsea berlin after ...give and take 1 year...from your experience with the skimmer in your 6ft

but the point is, with a bigger and probably better skimmer, you can stock sps much less than 1 year :)

so for patient reefers who can wait 1 year or more, you can probably go for weipro, redsea, any skimmers, or no skimmers

for impatient reefers who cannot wait that long, gotta pay a little more for a skimmer that can cut short the waiting game :D

• SRC Member

it's not about stocking straight way that will prove the RSB righteous because I practise patience when stocking up. Even given that I have an EV or beckett....I would still not dare do that..... :erm:

If you want to say that I am afraid that the RSB can't sustain SPS then I think you made your point in going the other way....... :(

actually from what i gather personally from here and elsewhere,

if you have a small tank and have patience, redsea berlin could be great

if you have a big tank and have patience, redsea berlin could be great

if you have a small tank and no patience, probably not

if you have a big tank and no patience, probably not

if you are not confused yet, i am.... :lol::P:lol::P:lol:

peace :peace::lol:

so if u have patience, probably any skimmer will do irregardless of tank size.....

• SRC Member

no one has to love RSB with all the nagative comments about it or forced to purchase one.

ReDDevils is looking for a skimmer now so...bro your choice is confirmed here....go for EV and if you have more money...get the Beckett once and for all so you can keep SPS straight away and no need to wait..... :lol:

but i think reddevils has a skimmer height problem...hmm...

bro reddevils....think u go for the RSB lah, it's short and cute....provided you are patient enough and dun overload the system and overwork the skimmer...

at least u have an assurance that some have tried it and Acanthurus pyroferus even used it for 6ft sps system with discipline and patience...and had great results....u must take great care not to overload your system but you can save quite abit on skimmer price and running costs

but if u go for the beckett or dual beckett, i am sure you will have the luxury of knowing you will not overload the system too much if u are a little too impatient...but at the expense of higher cost and electrical bills

other skimmers like basic needlewheels are probably middle ground...not the most expensive to buy and not the most expensive to run

• SRC Member

bro...ReDDevils....don't be confused with all the comments and if you have enough money for the best then why not.... ;)

most of us can't wait.....even me....but I've adopted some military rules.....so become too strict..... :lol:

bro....weileong recommending you EuroReef so you better buy good one ah..... ;)

bro Roidan....thanks for your comments and ideas...hope to help bro.ReDDevils decide....make him confuse now..... :lol:

• SRC Member
just to add,my tank is 4 months old.

bro....thats too early to stock up on SPS.... :blink: even if you have an EV and beckett....I wouldn't dare if I were you.

and remember that not much experience in keeping SPS all of what you will be building might go down the drain for nothing. There are alot of other factors involved besides protien skimming.

• SRC Member
This has been a very entertaining topic, from RSB skimmer to Suaning to SPS..........hahaha Where's the TICK TOCK?

Eh....don't sabo ah...you want to read...just read don't be instigator <_<

Tick-Tock for what..... :blink: no harm done....see theres entertainment for you.... :lol:

Besides it wasn't me who went off the topic.....this thread was specifically about RSB then so many clever enthusiast want to promote EV , Beckett and Euroreef for some reason.....so not my fault..... :(

It's not promoting other skimmers but just telling you that the RSB might be too small capacity for a 6 footer.

Bro Robe already used it and has experienced compared to a beckett so I don't know why you still insist it is more than sufficient for a 6 footer. Oh yes perhaps with very light bioload :P

I can keep a 6 footer with no fish and just a few corals then probably a weipro will work too :P

discussions have been kept primarily about the RSB skimmer...Acanthurus pyroferus giving all the positives and some bros like me, robe, weileong here have been trying to spread the message that it has considerable limitations, perhaps more than some other skimmers....

just like all skimmers, there are goods and bads....as long as someone presents the good points and someone presents the bad points, then the picture is complete...and still relevant to the discussion

what i do not want to see is just the positive sides being told and end up more bros spend their money on it to realise that the skimmer cannot keep up to their expectations.....

comparisons have been made to it using other skimmers, or even on the topic of keeping sps...have been whether RSB is up to task of keeping sps/heavily stocked system or not....which i have duely concluded that if one practise good patience like Acanthurus pyroferus, a RSB can be a good skimmer ...just like a weipro ;)

but for those who cannot afford to wait too long till end of the year or more, perhaps one should look elsewhere for a better skimmer...

:peace:

• SRC Member
It's not promoting other skimmers but just telling you that the RSB might be too small capacity for a 6 footer.

Bro Robe already used it and has experienced compared to a beckett so I don't know why you still insist it is more than sufficient for a 6 footer. Oh yes perhaps with very light bioload :P

I can keep a 6 footer with no fish and just a few corals then probably a weipro will work too :P

primarily it was about RSB and since no one has had ample enough experience with this skimmer....then thats why the reason for this thread was created.

it's a shame I can't prove myself otherwise with pictures of my previous reef because SRC had not existed back then.

what I don't appreciate is like people like Eric saying that this is going off topic... :angry: and instigating the tick-tock sign.

Like I said....no one is forced to buy an RSB or love it by any chance or believe what I say. I probably have more experience then the rest here so I know what I've kept and under what kind of conditions.

go ahead and make all the fun you want because the one that laughs last is the one that laughs the best :lol:

• SRC Member
Oh i see... so where the BAD points on EV series or H&S??? why no one mention abt it?

thats what I mean it's all about the good in EV , HS and Beckett and mostly all the nagative sides in RSB...... :( These by the way are super skimmers so nothing could go possibly go wrong when you purchase one at seems...... <_<

Oh i see... so where the BAD points on EV series or H&S??? why no one mention abt it?

er..i think i mentioned aquaC has some complaints with fine tuning for those who cannot get the foam right from the start and customer support earlier on...

for H&S, seriously, no complains other than it is expensive, perhaps more expensive than what most reefers would like to pay for...and also the needlewheel is the achilles heel of the whole skimmer...but that's an inherent problem with all needlewheel skimmers....

In short, the four main factors which govern a protein skimmer's effectiveness are…

1. Bubble size

2. Bubble quantity

3. Overall flow-thru rate

4. Quality of contact time

bubble size, the needlewheels or becketts can produce finer bubbles than the RSB...becketts are actually venturis just like the RSB, but just that it takes a different structure that needs a powerful pump to suck in much more litres of air per unit time than the RSB venturi..

so bubble size, needlewheels/becketts win......but becketts consume terrible amounts of electricity....needlewheels and RSB venturis are much more efficient in electrical usage

bubble quantity, the amount of bubbles in a beckett/needlewheel skimmer surpasses that of the RSB, due to the simple fact that the RSB is really too short and small a chamber....by comparing the sheer volume of bubbles produced, you can probably put the whole RSB classic into a beckett/needlewheel skimmer bubble chamber and see only the sheer bubbles and not see the RSB in the chamber....so bubble sheer quantity wins hands down....

overall flow through rate, the becketts have a very high overall flow thru rate using pumps of 6000l/hr or more pressure-rated whereas the needlewheels have a much more modest flow thru rate, say around 1000-2000l/hr ....the RSB uses a pump to push water through the skimmer....say around 2000-2500l/hr

the higher the flow through rate, more water can be brought into the skimmer to be processed...but the faster the water leaves the chamber as well before it is processed thoroughly....there is no clear preference which method is the best so far....either you can process alot of water per unit time but not clean so thoroughly, or you can process less water per unit time but clean more thoroughly...

Quality of contact time, the becketts have a problem of water flowing too fast, thus affecting quality of contact time in the chamber, thus the need for tangential swirling water output to maximise reaction time..... the RSB berlin uses a triple pass design to increase quality of reaction time...this design is good....but sad to say...it is too small a triple pass chamber to compete with the towering beckett skimmers....

the needlewheels on the other hand....use recirculation to increase contact time.....

actually also unfair to pit the cutesy RSB classic against the big skimmers.....even the RSB XL will find it hard...

but if the RSB was built to the height and diameter of the those becketts, keeping its triple pass method, definitely i will be happy to agree that it will be one of the best, right up there with the big boys.... :D

but if one insists that the RSB classic is comparable or even as good as those towering becketts/needlewheels..sorry, i find it hard to swallow :lol:

really can't help posting this pic again ;)

post-17-1080878262.jpg

well we'll just have to wait and see..... ;)

it's really a good habit to have patience in this hobby,no kidding :bow: ....i admit i dun, which is why i have pretty much ended stocking already...sigh, where's the fun now? :P

yeah....some who have great patience like you, can afford to wait and see, others like me, dun want to wait and see, have already got going and moved on ;)

which is why i must emphasize, if one practise great patience, you can probably not grow out of the RSB. It is a great skimmer for patient reefers who dun overstock their tanks too fast :)