Fans

hotsoup

• SRC Member

Hi,

My 3ft tank's temperature manage to stay constantly btwn 26 and 27 using a 6head mini fans. Any ideas beside chiller, where can i get a device to bring it doen to 25 degree?

Thanks

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Hotsoup,

If I were you, I'll have the thermometer checked, unless the tank is in an aircon room. 26-27 is almost impossible to reach in Singapore by evaporation alone because of the high humidity. Maybe on cool nights or rainy days only.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

He's in hotsoup now! :lol:

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

:huh:

I am using fan too :D four head mini-fan(forgot the brand but distributed by Qian Hu) plus 2 single head fan(those made in taiwan)...i thk hotsoup situation is same as mine

:rolleyes: find the coolest place in your house(there bound to be one such cool place) and blast all your fan onto the water

I am using Little Time & Temp Thermometer(Rainbow)...i believe tat is the most reliable brand in the market :D:PB) if tat is not reliable, then i really dunno which thermometer is?

Hotsoup situation is attainable just like mine. although not as low as 26, but never exceeds 28. So somewhere in the region of 27.1-27.9 :)

• SRC Member

dodo,

That's realistic. I suppose you aren't using a lot of light. Actually, I don't trust any of these aquarium digital thermometers. Nothing beats a good stick of mercury.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

If hotsoup's tank is in air-con room, I can bet to my last dollar that the temperature will fall way below 24... :)

I tried that while playing mahjong with my frens....turn on the air-con...with the fans still on at full strength....two hours later....temp drop from 27 to 23 :o

Gave me a fright at tat moment...quickly turn off all fans :( wat to do...no $ to invest in a chiller

• SRC Member

anyway....hotsoup...if your temp is 26-27...i think is good enough liao :wub::) not neccessary to reduce down to 25,24.... :wacko:

I heard from Sealife...24 will harm the fish in fact....retard their movement and hinder growth....sceptical to disease too ;)-_-

stay at 26 is very gd B) but if insist of lowering your temp further...i guess you blow another fan at your sump tank there....it might help to reduce by another 1degree :P

• SRC Member
dodo,

That's realistic. I suppose you aren't using a lot of light. Actually, I don't trust any of these aquarium digital thermometers. Nothing beats a good stick of mercury.

yup...maybe you r rite...i am jus using 4xFL light for my 3ft tank...maybe not enough lite :o

a mercury thermometer may be the best...but not quite practical :D i mean need to count 1degree by 1degree....so leh cheh :P maybe i am plain lazy...jus need to look at the screen once and no need to count 1degree by 1degree B)

• SRC Member

It seems that some are able to get the temperature down with fans alone.

Where are you tanks? Which part of the island are you?

I'm more interested in the temperature fluctuation than the lowest possible temperature. I'm still suspicious of the digital thermometers.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

hi onghm

" I'm using DIY DC fans.

3 of them bought from Sim Lim at $8 each.

Temp also between 26 to 27.

On cool rainy nights, it even dropped to 25.8 before.

But mine is a 2ft tank with 2 PL.

Also using digital thermometer. "

>>> u bought dc fans at $8 each? hmm which level of SimLim Tower. 3rd rite?

how much u bought ur digital thermometer?

• SRC Member

:D Hi Tanzy,

I live in the north. :) Temp fluctuation +/- 1 degree. I think that is acceptable.

:rolleyes::wub::)

I still believe in finding the coolest place in the house :unsure: maybe that only applies to me. I actually went round the house, testing those places I wish to place my tank....and when I finally satisfied with one...I locked on to the place and start preparing my tank at tat particular position. :wacko::wub:

Yeah...onghm....where did you get your DIY DC fans....feel like making one to blow at my sump....hoping to bring down 0.5 degree or 1 degree more....thks :rolleyes:B):D:lol::P

• SRC Member

just like to know what kind of a evaporation rate do all those who use fans have ?

also , as tanzy put it ... what kinda of lights ??? and for HOW LONG ???

it's posibble to bring down the temp to 27-28 but to 24-25 ... that's really PUSHINGH it .... as for air con room ... your temp is set below 26 definately ... mine set at 20 some time ... so your tank is gonna get cool down to that temp eventually if you let it be ... like the marine pet does in katong ... they use air con from the building to cool their display tank

:D

also , got pics of the digital thermometer that you guys bought ??? and where do you measure the temp at ?? ;) it might make the difference

• SRC Member

mine top up freshwater once everyday....using a 500l/h pump, a timer switch(set at 1min) :P

hence it top up water automatically :)

if you divide 500 by 60...you will get ard 8 liters :o:unsure::huh::blink::wacko:

I use 4 x FL light lor....timer switch also....2 x actinic lite on for 8 hrs...1 x 10,000k and 1 x 20,000k lite on for 6hrs B) to control algae problem....will eventually hope to increase my white lite to 7-8 hrs if my algae problem is solved :angry:

hopefully will get a pics of my thermometer...no promise though :rolleyes::unsure:

wondering if it is ok or is it the optimal position to place my thermometer? :unsure:

Mine is a 3 1/2 ft tank and also using fan, but only one DIY AC Fan.

Temp const btw 27-28. Never went pass 28.

Tank sitting in the middle of my living room andhave good air circulation.

Lighting 1 x 20,000K FL & 1 x 6500 Actinic Blue FL. Maybe FL not so hot as PL & MH.

Don't worry think i need to go for lower temp. Currently my fishes and corals seemed ok.

Only problem is evaporation. Got to top up twice a day of abt 500ml each time.

• SRC Member

Hi mrjoe, dodo,

I could not remember which level i bought it from.

I think i went thru level 3 to 5 and $8 is the cheapest.

Some shops selling at $12.

The brand is Just Cooler.

I will post a picture of it.

By the way, how to post pic huh ?

Pardon my sua ku ness :)

• SRC Member

Thanks mv3i.

With my 3 fans on for 12 hours, topping up is daily affair.

I use about 2 of those bottles pictured below weekly.

PL 10K, on for 10 hours.

PL actinic, on for 12 hours.

Thermometer, sank into middle water column at back corner of tank.

For topup, I'm using DIY airpump style.

post-6-1040451377.jpg