residential floor weight loading

Hi fellow reefers,

I have just got my new house and new tank but am now a bit worried about the weight of the tank when filled with water etc. Do you guys have any ideas on whether the weight of the filled tank will cause issues on the building? I am not going to ask the developer at this point of time becasue he will say no to everything.

Any of you have some suggestions or some assurances to provide?

Thanks

Hi fellow reefers,

I have just got my new house and new tank but am now a bit worried about the weight of the tank when filled with water etc. Do you guys have any ideas on whether the weight of the filled tank will cause issues on the building? I am not going to ask the developer at this point of time becasue he will say no to everything.

Any of you have some suggestions or some assurances to provide?

Thanks

Usually residential properties, above ground floor, will have a minimum rated floor loading of 5KN/sq.m. Such info, private or HDB properties, is an open data for anyone. Naturally, the design will have the side, nearer to the columns, to have a higher loading strength.

Don't ask the developer, as most likely they will know nuts about the weight of the tanks and would rather yield on the safe side...'NO!'. Marine tanks is surprising much heavier than guessing. If you can, try to calculate based on the SG of the water, glass, rocks and sand estimate, you will be surprised, too! :ooh::D

btw, a conservative calculation based on minimal modest live rocks & sand.

3' x 3' x 2.5' = approx. tank weight of 649kg or floor loading of 7.86 KN/m² (9mm-10mm glass)

3' x 3' x 2' = approx. tank weight of 516kg or floor loading of 6.25 KN/m² (12mm glass)

This does not include, wt. of cabinets, sump tank, equipments. Just only tank + water + 20kg rocks + 10kg sand.