Mega Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover - DIY!

SantaMonica

Hi gurus,

What is the lighting requirement for an algae scrubber? In terms of lighting period, color range and intensity/wattage?

for the light they need a warm white which is slightly orange in color 2700k spectrum duration to be on is around 12-16hrs which i've done before wattage wise i don't see there is an issue but go for those bout 10/18w better

for the light they need a warm white which is slightly orange in color 2700k spectrum duration to be on is around 12-16hrs which i've done before wattage wise i don't see there is an issue but go for those bout 10/18w better

Hi stevenkoh,

Thanks.

Has anyone seen those powerpac brand clip-on lights some lelong shops have started selling? Thinking of getting one of those with a energy saving bulb to grow algae.... any comments?

Hi stevenkoh,

Thanks.

Has anyone seen those powerpac brand clip-on lights some lelong shops have started selling? Thinking of getting one of those with a energy saving bulb to grow algae.... any comments?

any DIY shop or hardware shop have it as for the bulb you can ask the store person that you need the spectrum at 2700k warm white but normally the box have indicate it power saving bulb

take note paint up the metal part cause it'll rust easily and best get those with cover that can cover up the bulb cause vapor will cause alot of salt on the bulb

any DIY shop or hardware shop have it as for the bulb you can ask the store person that you need the spectrum at 2700k warm white but normally the box have indicate it power saving bulb

take note paint up the metal part cause it'll rust easily and best get those with cover that can cover up the bulb cause vapor will cause alot of salt on the bulb

Prefer not to have to paint anything or do my own sealing.. i am a diy dumbbell... i don't want to poison my water or burn my house down.

Any local bros out there know of a suitably waterproof and low energy light for growing algae please let me know.

• SRC Supporter
Prefer not to have to paint anything or do my own sealing.. i am a diy dumbbell... i don't want to poison my water or burn my house down.

Any local bros out there know of a suitably waterproof and low energy light for growing algae please let me know.

You can consider getting those water proof LED lighting then...

You can consider getting those water proof LED lighting then...

Hi HM so far i saw on the market which is water proof LED light all are white which is more like 6500k and above which i try before it doesn't work well for algea scrubber and drop the idea of algea scrubber casue of rust and bulb having salt on the bulb afraid of power leak as vapor built up most of all it quite warm

bro kanegan don't worry wait till the paint dry then you put into use it won't harm ur water as it doesn't touch the water as for what i mention for the cover there will be some lighting which already come with the glass cover so save the job look around the hardware shop in ur neighbourhood

for me i'll be building a led lighting for my next project on algea scrubber

• SRC Member
What is the lighting requirement for an algae scrubber? In terms of lighting period, color range and intensity/wattage?

2000 to 6000K, 0.5 CFL watts per gallon minimum, 18 hours ON, 6 hours OFF.

You can consider getting those water proof LED lighting then.

LED's do not work well at all. Try them only if you want to experiment but not for results.

• SRC Member

Hi Santa & bros,

l'm setting up a new scrubber. Should l use the main pump and divert some water to the scrubber, or use the return pipe to run the scrubber. The only consideration of using the return pipe is that there are lots of bubbles coming out from it after drawing water down from main tank, very worried that that might create lots of splashing at the scrubber water outlet area along the screen slot.

Any advice?

Thanks.

• SRC Member

Hi SM,

my scrubber dun grew green algae yet but those brown algae only.. N stay ard 50ppm. Do i have to shorten the period of cleaning the screen to 5 days as i have been cleaning it @ ard 7 days?

Thanks.

Hi Brother Santa Monica

I've done up a scrubber but after reading some post that the ideal temp of the CFL should be warm white. Is it necessary to be warm white? i am currently using a cool daylight CFL with a 5000K

Also i have attached a pic of my scrubber pls give your comments

Thx

BRO Eniram

is that cheato below anyway just to add for cool white it won't do as good as warm white and you'll have more brown like algea glow which i try before maybe still up to the expext SM to add

Yes its cheato growing below, don't be fooled, just got it fresh from another reefer's sump. Oh will change to a 3000k lamp. Will it still grow my cheato?

• SRC Member

Good first try. 3000 is better, but not by much. More important is wattage, and reflecting all the light towards the middle of the screen. See if you can find a reflector like these:

http://www.hydroleaf.com/categoryview.do?cat_id=107

Also add a light on the other side if you can. And increase the flow so it is a waterfall off of the bottom. Do I see correctly that the screen does not stick into the pipe? If so that would make this a one-sided scrubber, and would only need a light on one side.

Chaeto will die if your scrubber does good. And that new chaeto may die anyway since there is not enough light on it. I would remove it, and let the scrubber grow.

Hi Brother Santa Monica

I've done up a scrubber but after reading some post that the ideal temp of the CFL should be warm white. Is it necessary to be warm white? i am currently using a cool daylight CFL with a 5000K

Also i have attached a pic of my scrubber pls give your comments

Thx

Bro, These are the comments on your setup.

1/ Your light is not strong enough, eventually the cheato and scrubber will not grow. Consider using min 13W ES warm white bulb, if your bulb is at vertical position, else 16W ES warm white is required.

2/ Single side scrubber might not be sufficient if your tank is 3ft. Ref to SM calculation.

3/ Water flow is not strong enough. Consider using standalone pump to feed the scrubber.

4/ Screen must be straight and firmly secured for better water flow.

GB.

Good first try. 3000 is better, but not by much. More important is wattage, and reflecting all the light towards the middle of the screen. See if you can find a reflector like these:

http://www.hydroleaf.com/categoryview.do?cat_id=107

Also add a light on the other side if you can. And increase the flow so it is a waterfall off of the bottom. Do I see correctly that the screen does not stick into the pipe? If so that would make this a one-sided scrubber, and would only need a light on one side.

Chaeto will die if your scrubber does good. And that new chaeto may die anyway since there is not enough light on it. I would remove it, and let the scrubber grow.

Bro, These are the comments on your setup.

1/ Your light is not strong enough, eventually the cheato and scrubber will not grow. Consider using min 13W ES warm white bulb, if your bulb is at vertical position, else 16W ES warm white is required.

2/ Single side scrubber might not be sufficient if your tank is 3ft. Ref to SM calculation.

3/ Water flow is not strong enough. Consider using standalone pump to feed the scrubber.

4/ Screen must be straight and firmly secured for better water flow.

GB.

SM: Yes its not sticked to the pipe and therefore its one sided. Ok will give the cheato away and change to a 3000K lamp. What will happen with a 5000K 11W lamp? won't this promote algae growth? how come a lower Kelvin will promote algae growth?

Bobiegoh:

Yes it is a stand alone pump and is it necessary to have a strong water flow? Isn't it suppose to trickle down like a feature water fall? Can't afford to have a double sided scrubber i've got not enough space to house another lamp.

Maybe you can share with me your scrubber instead?

thx guys