My 4x2x2 FOWLR

Kalib

• SRC Member

I just leave the detritous as it is, but the tomini tang and butterfly constantly turns the surface of the sandbed while in search of food. This helped keep the sandbed relatively clean, this was clearly noticeable after introducing the tomini tang.

You can try using a sea cucumber as well, their supposed to keep the sandbed sparkling clean but I would advise protecting any filter/pump inlets in the tank, they can get stuck and die. Once stressed/dead, sea cucumbers release toxins into the water.

My foxface which is supposed to clear hair algae is doing absolutely nothing(in fact, it doesn't eat much of the filamentous algae even), so i would have to manually remove the hair algae myself periodically.

• SRC Member
I just leave the detritous as it is, but the tomini tang and butterfly constantly turns the surface of the sandbed while in search of food. This helped keep the sandbed relatively clean, this was clearly noticeable after introducing the tomini tang.

Didn't know you had a butterfly? Or typo?

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• Senior Reefer

bannerfish is a butterfly fish haha! Hmm... i can reccomend some quite hardy and BEAUTIFUL butterflies. Last time use to own a FOWLR butterfly only tank.

- milletseed butterfly aka lemon butterfly or citrus butterfly

- copperband (buy a already feeding one)

- golden butterfly, aka semilarvatus or red sea butterfly

- threadfin butterfly aka auriga butterfly (perhaps the MOST hardy)

- racoon butterfly (very hardy also)

and my favourite, the pearlscale butterfly (chaetodon xanthurus) Very nice and hardy specimen!

Hope i have been helpful =)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Senior Reefer
Did you have long term success with the copperband? I read on some forums some hobbyists don't have any long term success with this fish.

yes i had a copperband that was eating pellets and survived for many months. but died coz of power shortage. =\

• SRC Member

I see.. thats good. Read before they don't readily accept pellets and aren't such easy fish to keep.

I've been toying with the idea of a semilarvatus(though I don't know who may bring these fish in),an Auriga or Chaetodon melanotus though I haven't really made up my mind at the moment.

The saddle butterflyfish is also very nice, though i don't know how hardy(though literature says it would be ok) it is in an aquarium setting.

• Senior Reefer
I see.. thats good. Read before they don't readily accept pellets and aren't such easy fish to keep.

I've been toying with the idea of a semilarvatus(though I don't know who may bring these fish in),an Auriga or Chaetodon melanotus though I haven't really made up my mind at the moment.

The saddle butterflyfish is also very nice, though i don't know how hardy(though literature says it would be ok) it is in an aquarium setting.

ok. few things u should know before buying any of the fishes u listed. Semilarvatus or golden butterfly can grow quite big, so u might need to consider the size of ur tank. Other than the size, they are very hardy. but abit pricey. have seen it in sealife, iwarna and ahbeng shop. they are seasonal and come with the red-sea shipment as they are only found in the red sea and gulf of aden.

chaetodon melannotus, sometime sknown as the blackback butterfly, is hardy and will not grow too big. only problem is that its not commonly found, so far have only seen it 2 times.

auriga butterfly, also known more commonly as threadfin butterfly, is very hardy and also will not grow too big. this one is more common and easier to find.

saddleback butterfly is very hardy also, but they can grow very big. maximum 9".

Genarally, if u find a butterflyfish that is feeding well, active, no sign of disease, they are actually not very hard to look after. :) although, there are some species that u should avoid totally because they eat either only corals, or they are just too hard to keep. if u see any LFS selling ornate butterfly, melon butterfly, chevron butterfly, bennet butterfly, try not to buy coz they are not very hardy, and some only eat coral polyps.

those that u listed are quite hardy, except some may grow too big :) u might also wanna try raccoon butterfly, very hardy also.

HTH :)

• SRC Member

Thanks for sharing. :thanks:

Yup, i'm aware that some butterfly fish are obligate corallivores and should be avoided. I've seen AM bring in chaetodon melannotus a couple of times.

Still giving some thought as to which one to keep but would definitely keep your advice in mind when considering.

• Senior Reefer
Thanks for sharing. :thanks:

Yup, i'm aware that some butterfly fish are obligate corallivores and should be avoided. I've seen AM bring in chaetodon melannotus a couple of times.

Still giving some thought as to which one to keep but would definitely keep your advice in mind when considering.

jreh marine and reborn today have ALOT of butterflies. i saw 2 melannotus at jreh. saddle backs, citrus, cpperband, threadfin, raccoon, vagabond, panda, lattice, yellow long nose butterfly.