Pistol shrimp and precious livestock

yikai

• Senior Reefer

Hey reefers, i have this pistol shrimp in my tank, it came with my liverock, that has been really pissing me off. Recently, my yasha goby and candy stripe pistol shrimp pair, my diamond goby and my yellow coral banded shrimp all mysteriously dissapeard without any trace. I suspect it is that pistol shrimp. True, my missing livestock maybe didnt cost much. The yasha and pistol pair $10 only from pasir ris. diamond goby and yellow CBS both $10 each, but that is not the point. Im afraid that more precious livestock can/will be at the mercy of that nuisence pistol shrimp. It about the size of my little finger.

This size. ----------------------------------------

Head to tail

And naturally, i want to get rid of it. i know where it lives, but its very difficult to remove it as there are alot of rocks there. If i remove that rock, the whole rockwork will collapse. Is there any other way to remove it without tearing down my tank?

And just this morning, i found its shed exo-skeleton. which means it has grown bigger and it has been eating =.= Need to remove it ASAP!

Ty and happy reefing, and wishing u all a very merry christmas!

• SRC Member

That's not pistol shrimp if it is that size.It should be Mantis shrimp.Pistols are cute and lovely but the snapping makes me annoyed sometimes.

girlone.png

• Senior Reefer

It is a pistol shrimp i believe. It looks like a lobster with 2 claws, one of the claws smaller looking and abit curved. Ihad a mantis shrimp, which i removed. Anyway, i removed this pistol shrimp liao ^^

• Senior Reefer
just curious how did you remove it?

I took out the damn rock..... and soak it in fresh water. bo pian lor. stupid thing... summore the rock is a base rock.. take it out, my whole rock work collapse. had to re-scape T_T. now the pistol living its sad life in the sump, with my damsel fish