Flowrate of feeding pump to chiller

beelim

Hi Experts,

I have yet another brain teaser question which bothers mi for quite some time...

Well, recently i just bought an Actica 1/2HP commercial chiller (recommended flowrate 7.9~13.2 gpm/ 1800~3000 L/H). Thus, i bought myself one AquaBee 3000 (flowrate 3000 L/H).

However, i was then then told by the techincal staff that this chiller is not recommended to be running @ this rate. Instead it should be running @ a higher speed *The higher the better* .

Therefore my questions here:

1) Which pump should be recommended for this chiller then??

2) If my feeding pump flowrate double (eg 3000>6000), does that mean my tank temp cools double oso (1.5hr>0.75hr)??

3) If my feeding pump wattage double (eg 40>80W), will that cause the heat load to increase double oso??

• Moderators

You need to take account the head lose whenever you use a pump.

A general guideline will be -20% of the pump max volume. And do note, some pump are over-rated.

My personal preference is Eheim or AquaMedic Ocean runner for the not so top of the range pump.

Too slow a flow, you may get a frozen pipe while too high a flow, the water may not get enough time to chill.

Effectively, you can use a 3600L to 4000L pump to run your chiller. The effectiveness will depend on how you run the setup.

Preferably, water should be pump from sump to chiller to main tank. Just my $0.02 :)

Tom

Oic... thanks bros!!

Currently my chiller has been running for almost a wk.

According to Arctica FAQ site, it had mentioned that a proper sized chiller kicking-in pattern is (Kick-in: approx 1h 1/2min) , (Standby: approx 2hrs) which is quite similar to mine. So does tt mean i shd b thinking so much? :lol: