Rubber water hoses safe???

wedgee

• SRC Member

Hi just thought i'd confirm with u guys something i've been thinking of lately- u know those transparent or colored flexible rubber water hoses we use for our washrooms and kitchens? Are they reef safe? I smell some new ones and they reek of chemicals (like super glue gone sour), but i still have to use some for my DI filter-to-tap connection...

Me scared me dosing the tank with chemicals that leak from the pipe over time...anyone knows whether if it is possible? :ph34r:

Oh yah, forgot to mention: they seem to be better than those rigid PVC pipes, which accumulate loads of crap in them without being noticed?

• SRC Member

err...does PVC really accumlates rubbish inside? :huh:

i didn't notice it leh...if so...siao liao lah...i use so many PVC pipe connecting to my sump tank and connecting to my main tank :blink::wacko::o

but IMO, ithk those rubber hose should be safe :P

• SRC Member

The hoses will harden after a while in seawater, so the will lose flexibility. Shouldn't be any problem other than that.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
The hoses will harden after a while in seawater, so the will lose flexibility. Shouldn't be any problem other than that.

dodo,

most fellas here use PVC pipings for their reef tanks, so, no worries.. if there is a constant movement of water, u dun have to worry much..

weegie,

as for the rubber hoses, i dun recommend having it to subsitute PVC pipings.. coz after a while, they become harden and will crack.. leading to leaks.. and flood your house.. anyway, u use it to connect the tap to the DI canister.. any chemicals would have been filtered out already.. no worries.. me connect directly to my sump.. beat that.. hahaha :P anyway, that smell is ok, IMO..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.