Prices of LS

Patrick

• SRC Member

Few weeks back I bought a Lyretail Hogfish from a LFS in B-------R for $65. It was the 1st time I bought Hogfish and didnt check around for the price. It died and I was looking around for another one. Yesterday I was at another LFS and the Lyretail Hogfish of the same size is $30! :unsure: I was shocked! I trusted the 1st shop because I patronized the shop for many years. While I know their prices are higher because their LS are very healthy but didnt expect to be at double the price. :pinch:

Its not heartpain over $$, its a sense of disappointment if I was over-charged by a LFS I trusted.

Any bros can advise: Are there any valid reason why the price differed so much? :thanks:

• Senior Reefer
Few weeks back I bought a Lyretail Hogfish from a LFS in B-------R for $65. It was the 1st time I bought Hogfish and didnt check around for the price. It died and I was looking around for another one. Yesterday I was at another LFS and the Lyretail Hogfish of the same size is $30! :unsure: I was shocked! I trusted the 1st shop because I patronized the shop for many years. While I know their prices are higher because their LS are very healthy but didnt expect to be at double the price. :pinch:

Its not heartpain over $$, its a sense of disappointment if I was over-charged by a LFS I trusted.

Any bros can advise: Are there any valid reason why the price differed so much? :thanks:

depends on location too. actually, dont be suprised at the price difference! sometimes the same fish can come from 2 totally different areas, but the price differ ALOT. also depends la. if its a farm, usually much much cheaper.

for example, a copperband butterfylfish from singapore or indo/malaysia can cost anywhere from $8-$10. but if its from australia, be prepared to pay $30+ for it. thats more than 3x the price.

• SRC Member

Hi Bro Lemon, thanks for your reply. I have enjoyed reading your postings and LFS weekly updates :)

I am aware cost will vary depends on where the LS are from. But Lyretail Hogfish is only from RedSea leh.

• Senior Reefer
Hi Bro Lemon, thanks for your reply. I have enjoyed reading your postings and LFS weekly updates :)

I am aware cost will vary depends on where the LS are from. But Lyretail Hogfish is only from RedSea leh.

Thanks for the kind words (: i enjoy posting and being a part of this community too! regarding the hogfish,

Bodianus anthioides (Bennett 1832), the Lyretail Hogfish. Indo-Pacific, including the Red Sea (where this picture was made) out to the Tuamotus. To nine inches in length. A gentle beauty as the genus goes. One and three inch juveniles and six inch adult in the Red Sea.

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=5497

look at the distribution range

Indo-Pacific: Red Sea to South Africa (Ref. 35918) and east to the Line and Tuamoto islands, north to southern Japan, south to New Caledonia and the Austral Islands.

since its ur trusted LFS then u can just clarify with them whther which shipment is it coming from? probably jokingly tell them u bought another at a cheaper price :eyebrow:

at least u know the price of the stocks they're selling, if they overpriced then next time round go ard other LFS and check price before u buy from them. tho quality might be different.

• SRC Member

Talking about Price of LS, Check this out....

Would you buy one?

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

was thinking if we go mauritius for holidays. will it be possible to buy back gem tang etc? do they have LFS there which sell them and will they be cheaper?

or like fishes that is unique to the country like japan - pine apple fish.

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Bro Weihao, I told LFS boss and his reply was "farms just want to sell their fishes fast so can sell cheap, here we quarantine for a few days and train them to eat pellets... some died before they are sold so must recover costs from surviving ones"... I can't argue with that... :lol:

• SRC Member
Bro Weihao, I told LFS boss and his reply was "farms just want to sell their fishes fast so can sell cheap, here we quarantine for a few days and train them to eat pellets... some died before they are sold so must recover costs from surviving ones"... I can't argue with that... :lol:

Just curious, cause there is only 1 LFS so far that I know which practices true 'quarantine'. They will NOT sell you any fishes that is undergoing the quarantine period.

IMHO, if you can buy any fishes that just arrived - then there is truly no ground that the LFS should charge more for quarantine the fishes. This is just a pure excuse to charge you more. By their same reasoning, does the LFS consider the 'unsold' period (say the week after shipment) as the quarantine period... if so, then the prices should be more expensive 1 week after shipment. But I have not really come across such practices.

Just my 2 cents...