what is the water temp ?

• SRC Member
Hi bros & sis , Iam new for this hobby, can anyone tell me what is the correct water temp for marine fish ( just fishs only ) currenly my water temp is 29.5-30.5... is it good or bad ?

You shld try to if possible keep it as low as possible ard 27~28'C can liao... 29.5 to 30.5 depends on what fishes you keep lorhhs... :rolleyes:

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

You shld try to if possible keep it as low as possible ard 27~28'C can liao... 29.5 to 30.5 depends on what fishes you keep lorhhs... :rolleyes:

Hi , :thanks: bros , want to keep.brown/yellow tang,wrasse,flam Angles.... and how to bring down the temp to27-28'C and I don't want to invest a chillers ....

• SRC Member
Hi , :thanks: bros , want to keep.brown/yellow tang,wrasse,flam Angles.... and how to bring down the temp to27-28'C and I don't want to invest a chillers ....

Hi Bro,

If u don't wanna invest in a chiller, just buy a cooling fan from ur local fish shop.

It will certainly help in bringing down Ur temperature.

Only downside is the fan will evaporate a lot of water... & u need to top up using freshwater regularly.

Hi Bro,

If u don't wanna invest in a chiller, just buy a cooling fan from ur local fish shop.

It will certainly help in bringing down Ur temperature.

Only downside is the fan will evaporate a lot of water... & u need to top up using freshwater regularly.

Hi bros, ok ok thank for your advice , hear from people said these fan are not reliable ,I intend to DIY the cooling fan....

• SRC Member
Hi bro, so u use the fan to cool down the temp ? any Recommended ? my tank is 4x2x2.5 :thanks:

Wah, for such a big tank, I think it will be more efficient to use those standing fan or desktop fan. Tiny PC fans will have practically no effect on the temperature, you would have to use multiple fans which is not energy efficient, and unsightly. Also, because of the larger volume of your tank, the evaporation will be relatively MASSIVE. I used to top up one to two buckets of fresh water every 2 days for a 4x2x2.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

Besides temperature, many other parameters to watch out for check this out.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Wah, for such a big tank, I think it will be more efficient to use those standing fan or desktop fan. Tiny PC fans will have practically no effect on the temperature, you would have to use multiple fans which is not energy efficient, and unsightly. Also, because of the larger volume of your tank, the evaporation will be relatively MASSIVE. I used to top up one to two buckets of fresh water every 2 days for a 4x2x2.

HUH!!! :ph34r: so r u still use fan or chiller ?

• SRC Member
HUH!!! :ph34r: so r u still use fan or chiller ?

Air con hahaha. Tank is located in my office. Weekend will use standing fan when the air con is off, top up one bucket of water or so every Monday.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member
yah noted! :thanks: so u using fan or chiller to cool down the temp ?

I use chiller.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member
Hi bro, so u use the fan to cool down the temp ? any Recommended ? my tank is 4x2x2.5 :thanks:

I used a fan before but find the water evaporation too much. Everyday got to top up like 2-3L of water for a 3x2x2' tank. yours is even bigger so the water evaporation will be even more. In the end I got a chiller instead.

No matter how you DIY, the source of the fan is usually China made. Cost is also about the same.

You can buy Japanese Made (Scythe S-Flex) or German (Papst) fans from Sim Lim Square if you wanted to, you need to

hook them up to a 12 volt adapter or other power source though.

But yeah, the evaporation is a killer, I'm running 3x 80mm fans on my 3ft freshwater planted, and I have to top up close to 50 litres a week.

You _must_ do daily topups in a marine tank to prevent salinity fluctuations, if you intend to stay in this hobby for any amount of time, you

really need to invest in a chiller in your initial setup, unless you have the discipline and desire to top up daily.

• SRC Member
You got to weigh the cost of running a chiller vs the cost of running a fan. Don't say fan is cheap, cos you have to take into account the cost of topping up distilled/RO/DI water... not your tap water.

i been trying to keep dwarf angels in temp around 29 -30 degree without much success. especially flame, lemon peel etc. tangs is still pretty okay.

i been trying to keep dwarf angels in temp around 29 -30 degree without much success. especially flame, lemon peel etc. tangs is still pretty okay.

They should not be dying in that temperature range. It is "relatively" ok. There must be other factors contributing to your fish demise. How long do they stay in your tank ? Do they eat ? Are they good when you bought ? Any agression ?

Know the source of your fish and how they are captured. Fish captured using cyanide don't last although I believe most of our LFS do not import fish collected through this way.

You got to weigh the cost of running a chiller vs the cost of running a fan. Don't say fan is cheap, cos you have to take into account the cost of topping up distilled/RO/DI water... not your tap water.

yah your all r rite ! a million :thanks: .the best is invest a chiller .just started to use a fan , but u can see the water evaporation very fast... :paiseh: so anyone recommanded which chiller to buy ?

yah your all r rite ! a million :thanks: .the best is invest a chiller .just started to use a fan , but u can see the water evaporation very fast... :paiseh: so anyone recommanded which chiller to buy ?

If you are working on a budget, I recommend Hailea, but wow for a 4x2x2.5 you are looking at a 1/3 HP or bigger chiller.

• SRC Member
They should not be dying in that temperature range. It is "relatively" ok. There must be other factors contributing to your fish demise. How long do they stay in your tank ? Do they eat ? Are they good when you bought ? Any agression ?

Know the source of your fish and how they are captured. Fish captured using cyanide don't last although I believe most of our LFS do not import fish collected through this way.

most are from fellow reefers. its well know that flame, lemon peel, potter, golden angel etc are less hardy than the others esp more son in warmer water. they can survive in warmer waters but not for long. if you ask around, not many people managed to keep flame, lemon peel angel alive for long too. those that do might also lost count of how many was up lorry <_<