JBJ 28G NANO - REPLACE STOCK SKIMMER

bonzoid

Has anyone tried the TMC V2Skim 120 Nano Skimmer in the rear chamber of the 28g tank to replace the stock skimmer. It looks like it would fit and hopefully be less noisy than the jack hammer noise of the pump running the stock skimmer.

i myself has tried the stock skimmer, its actually gd n effective....dun see the need to change the skimmer..my 2 cents

Main tank: 4.5 x 2.5 x 2
Skimmer: Deltec AP701
Return pump: RD 6

Chiller: Daikin compressor with Titanium coil
Wavemaker: Jebao w-20, Maxspect Gyre xf150

Lighting: 8x54 ATI Sunpower Non-dimmable

Linked tank
Main tank: 2 x 1 x 2
Return: Eheim 1260
Lighting: AI Hydra 26 with controller
Wavemaker: Tunze 6025
My decommed 3 ft setup

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone tried the TMC V2Skim 120 Nano Skimmer in the rear chamber of the 28g tank to replace the stock skimmer. It looks like it would fit and hopefully be less noisy than the jack hammer noise of the pump running the stock skimmer.

The stock skimmer seems to do a decent job. I am changing mine to a Tunze DOC 9002 though. But you will need to buy or mod the cup or the hood to accomodate it. I actually already have the skimmer but am still running stock as I want to gauge the difference between the two.

The JBJ 28G HQI stock skimmer is a very decent skimmer (considering that it is air driven). Once I was keeping squid in my tank, and when they are stressed, they squirt black ink which caused the visibility in the tank to drop to almost zero.

The stock skimmer clears up the black ink, and skim it ALL out of the water within 15 to 20 mins. Very respectable. After using it for a while, and seeing results ... I decided not to purchase the Tunze DOC9002 which I was considering.

The air pump unit that came together with your JBJ 28G, it has 2 air outlets. One outlet will have a stronger air output than the other, connect the skimmer to the stronger output, and connect another airtube with airstone to the other output, drop the airstone into the water column at the back, to oxygenate the water further.

The JBJ 28G HQI stock skimmer is a very decent skimmer (considering that it is air driven). Once I was keeping squid in my tank, and when they are stressed, they squirt black ink which caused the visibility in the tank to drop to almost zero.

The stock skimmer clears up the black ink, and skim it ALL out of the water within 15 to 20 mins. Very respectable. After using it for a while, and seeing results ... I decided not to purchase the Tunze DOC9002 which I was considering.

The air pump unit that came together with your JBJ 28G, it has 2 air outlets. One outlet will have a stronger air output than the other, connect the skimmer to the stronger output, and connect another airtube with airstone to the other output, drop the airstone into the water column at the back, to oxygenate the water further.

Mine is running with a Y-Joint that combines the two outlets and both go to the wooden airstone, heh.

I have not seen any reviews of the TMC V2Skim 120 Nano Skimmer, so you might not want to go this route. Safer to stick with the Tunze 9002, as it will definately fit into the centre overflow chamber.

Have to figure out where to relocate the filter media however, as the centre basket will no longer be there.

Mine is running with a Y-Joint that combines the two outlets and both go to the wooden airstone, heh.

I have not seen any reviews of the TMC V2Skim 120 Nano Skimmer, so you might not want to go this route. Safer to stick with the Tunze 9002, as it will definately fit into the centre overflow chamber.

Have to figure out where to relocate the filter media however, as the centre basket will no longer be there.

need to have filter wool man, the amount of fish poo, quite a lot even after just 2 days. if DOC 9002 goes into the center compartment, your powerheads going to get clog very fast.

yeah that was one of my concerns and why I haven't replaced the stock skimmer yet.

I guess I can wedge filter media in the two outlets of the overflow and occasionally siphon out the detritus from the middle.

I've not managed to find any pictures from people using the 9002 in their JBJ 28G yet. was going to post pics when I did mine.

yeah that was one of my concerns and why I haven't replaced the stock skimmer yet.

I guess I can wedge filter media in the two outlets of the overflow and occasionally siphon out the detritus from the middle.

I've not managed to find any pictures from people using the 9002 in their JBJ 28G yet. was going to post pics when I did mine.

There's one guy (American) that did squeeze a DOC9002 into the center compartment of the JBJ28G HQI. Search for the thread at Reefcentral. I read about it (got pictures), about 1 to 1.5 years back.