Regal Angel

• SRC Member

Hi

My 7" long regal angel getting no interest to eat pellet, why? all eaten by other angels liao... fish still healthy, but slow down alot.. so worry! anyone have the same problem b4? how to overcome? :bow::cry2:

• SRC Member

I had the same prob a week back... noticed that his feaces is stringy, which i suspect it may be due to constipation.

I starved it and try to entice with more green food and it starts to feed again, though not so active as before.. still monitoring it.

I think it is due to the diet that we prepare for him. Other than pellet, what do u feed ur regal?

Best Regards,

Morpheous

==========================================================================================

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

==========================================================================================

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)

• SRC Member

Has this Regal Angel been with other fishes in your tank since day 1? If it is from a quarantine tank eating well and trasnfer to your main tank, it can be due to stress that's why it stop eating.

I have 2 time the same experience where my Regal Angel eating well in my quarantine. After 2 months of quarantine, transfer to main tank and stop eating. Eventually mine did not make it.

Now I have another 3 + inch yellow belly Regal in my 2 ft quarantine for 4 months. Still hesitate to transfer.....:-(

• SRC Member
Has this Regal Angel been with other fishes in your tank since day 1? If it is from a quarantine tank eating well and trasnfer to your main tank, it can be due to stress that's why it stop eating.

I have 2 time the same experience where my Regal Angel eating well in my quarantine. After 2 months of quarantine, transfer to main tank and stop eating. Eventually mine did not make it.

Now I have another 3 + inch yellow belly Regal in my 2 ft quarantine for 4 months. Still hesitate to transfer.....:-(

One way would be all fish out, regal in first.... or maybe put it in a box for awhile in the main tank while the other tankmate get used to it.

I was lucky as my regal turn out to be the terror of the tank instead :huh: Angelfish after him has to be quite similiar size to him.

Best Regards,

Morpheous

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

• SRC Member
this guy only take pellet from day1, no interest at all to other type of food. I just don't know how to help her eating now... :pinch:

I tried using SeaChem finicky, an agent to soak the food before feeding. Mine feed more aggressively with it. No guarantees though..

Best Regards,

Morpheous

My Ocean Pets:

• SRC Member

yes, i think mine was cos I introduced a big size blueface that's why... now I isolated my imperor n blueface in the cage, regal is the biger in the tank now but still but eating yet... I cannot isolate the two fishes too long right? :huh:

• SRC Member

Sorry bro,

Its called Seachem Entice.

Got this at Seaview aquarium. Near to T95.

I believe this is easily available.

Nori on a clip usually works quite efficiently. No harm trying

post-4779-1239458539.jpg

Best Regards,

Morpheous

My Ocean Pets:

• SRC Member

By the way, last option if nothing really works, use the half clam (break one half of the shell and leave the meat on the other intact)

Good luck!

Best Regards,

Morpheous

My Ocean Pets:

Regals do best when introduced straight into a reef tank as there will be lots of sponges and little organism which this fish can forage on. Then take this time to make your regal feed, will be done easier if you have dither fishes like anthias. Therefore introducing the regal straight into a reef would be a better option compared to quarantine the fish in another tank.

• SRC Member

previously i had a big yellow belly regal in my big angel tank that feed very well, then out of sudden stop feeding and just died...so maybe the diet is not suitable to get it healthy....no more regal angel for me :pinch:

• SRC Member

Regal is very gentle fish as compare to emperor and blueface or other big angels, and their diet is quite offenly stick to one when she likes it. Mine eat a little this morning, will still monitoring... Well, maybe due to other aggressive angels that's why... I will release one emperor if she feed better.

• SRC Member

update:

She eat quite actively this evening, but seem like only prefer to fomula 1+2. :upsidedown:

My current conclusion: Regal must be the bigest among all angels in the tank, or fed her fat like a pig first before introduce with biger angel.

Well, i'm considering to let go my emperor 5.5" and blueface 7", nice in coloration. They are still in the cage now, will be putting up my sell maybe these two days. :pinch:

Welcome to share your view here! :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
update:

She eat quite actively this evening, but seem like only prefer to fomula 1+2. :upsidedown:

My current conclusion: Regal must be the bigest among all angels in the tank, or fed her fat like a pig first before introduce with biger angel.

Well, i'm considering to let go my emperor 5.5" and blueface 7", nice in coloration. They are still in the cage now, will be putting up my sell maybe these two days. :pinch:

Welcome to share your view here! :rolleyes:

Great effort to save a great fish!!

too bad, killed by the tunze 6080 in the next day morning, almost save her back to feeding, unfortunately, she was too weak... :angry:

was sorry to hear abt the regal after so much effort.

personally i like regal a lot and fail to resist the temptation when i dropby sealife.

i believe sealife still have some good yellow belly regal over there.

mine feed on pallets, cyclopeeze flakes, and all kind of frozen.

sometimes i believe it's luck.

with sealife, u stand a better chance bro

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member
was sorry to hear abt the regal after so much effort.

personally i like regal a lot and fail to resist the temptation when i dropby sealife.

i believe sealife still have some good yellow belly regal over there.

mine feed on pallets, cyclopeeze flakes, and all kind of frozen.

sometimes i believe it's luck.

with sealife, u stand a better chance bro

Yea, luck is very impt with regals. Mine refused to feed at LFS, but feed the moment its in my tank. It likes to swim upside down (not swim bladder prob, simply playful and entertaining). Anyone encounter this also?

Personally i feel that the smaller ones (3.5"~4.5") are easier to entice their appetite.

Best Regards,

Morpheous

My Ocean Pets:

Yea, luck is very impt with regals. Mine refused to feed at LFS, but feed the moment its in my tank. It likes to swim upside down (not swim bladder prob, simply playful and entertaining). Anyone encounter this also?

Personally i feel that the smaller ones (3.5"~4.5") are easier to entice their appetite.

yes my regal like to swim sideway too when it is in the wave direction. Javier and i thought it was some problem again but as time passes, it is just his nature. maybe it is their character to be playful.although regal is a shy fish, well that depend on luck again, my biggest queen dun kajiao him in anyway...

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Bought another regal (7") last week, she like to swim sideway too, I don't think cos they r "playful" as she is not feeding yet. :unsure: Wanted to let go my YT (5.5"), so she will b all rounded wif butterflies. Well, hopefully she will get eating soon. :rolleyes:

Bought another regal (7") last week, she like to swim sideway too, I don't think cos they r "playful" as she is not feeding yet. :unsure: Wanted to let go my YT (5.5"), so she will b all rounded wif butterflies. Well, hopefully she will get eating soon. :rolleyes:

Good luck with this new piece. How are the MIs doing in your tank?

• SRC Member

the 2.5 " regal i brought from AM, is quite shy..will only eat if pellet right infront of it, or it will wait till all finsih eating then eat the left over . think regals angel are all shy creature hur.. lol

• SRC Member
the 2.5 " regal i brought from AM, is quite shy..will only eat if pellet right infront of it, or it will wait till all finsih eating then eat the left over . think regals angel are all shy creature hur.. lol

yeap. regal angel seems to be the most difficult angel to keep cos they are shy by nature. most important is it must be a feeding when you buy it. otherwise be super tough.