Filter Denitrification Query

• SRC Member

I have a mixed 1000L tank, 20 juvenile fish with mostly SPS.

I have been using a nitrate removal filtration medium in the high flow area of my trickle filter system since August together with 1kg of Seachem Matrix cabon to facilitate the control and removal of nitrate in my now 11-mth old tank. At the last test last week, the nitrate level in Aug. measuring >70ml/L has now dropped to <40 mg/L. I had also been changing 20% water every 2 weeks to facilitate the drop.

Would appreciate if the gurus with past experience out there can answer my question of when I should change either of the mediums?

• SRC Member
I had also been changing 20% water every 2 weeks to facilitate the drop.

Err... Isn't it recommended to change water weekly instead of bi-weekly? Btw does matrix carbon remove nitrate? :blink:

So far only heard that denitrate & matrix from seachem can remove nitrate!

why not try using seachem denitrator? monitor ur nitrate levels....... continue changing 20% of ur water fortnightly........ once u discovered that ur nitrate levels starts to climb even wif fortnight water changes, i think it is advisable to change ur denitrafication media.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png