Square tank

I am thinking of building a glass tank 2 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet (i may reduce the height). Are square tanks more prone to failure cos of their shape? (i am guesing that there will be more strain on the sillicone sealent joints). i am wondering as most people use rectangular tanks... also , if i were to build it, any reliable tank makers out there and do i have to use extra-think glass and special sillicone?

• SRC Member
I am thinking of building a glass tank 2 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet (i may reduce the height). Are square tanks more prone to failure cos of their shape? (i am guesing that there will be more strain on the sillicone sealent joints). i am wondering as most people use rectangular tanks... also , if i were to build it, any reliable tank makers out there and do i have to use extra-think glass and special sillicone?

most ppl build rect tank instead of cube i guess not becos of more prone to failure. do u noe if u build a 4ft cube, how big will that be? n to cover a 4ft width, u noe u need how many lights to cover the whole tank :pinch:

there r a few ppl with 2ft cube n i dun hear them saying any prob abt their tank

• SRC Member

most ppl build rect tank instead of cube i guess not becos of more prone to failure. do u noe if u build a 4ft cube, how big will that be? n to cover a 4ft width, u noe u need how many lights to cover the whole tank :pinch:

there r a few ppl with 2ft cube n i dun hear them saying any prob abt their tank

true. must take into consideration the light but its not impossible to be done. if i remembered correctly, last time harquin at covan road used to have a cube display tank but the tank is not very deep.

need to find a tank maker that is confidence of making the tank. singapore tank maker might charge you more for the troubles or tell you cannot do cos it takes them more efforts to do the square tank. i you need contact PM me. i custom made my tank odd shape so far no issues.

HTH cheers

• SRC Member

If you go the uncle & auntie shop in front of Ah beng's place, they have a cube tank. Design has the overflow in the centre. Main advantage is that this gives the tank an all round view from 4 sides. Bad is that maintenance on the overflow is difficult due to hard to reach and placement of lights also more complicated.