Mushoom problem...

fishiee

I bought some mushrooms (the 25 bucks type) from reborn a week ago. they are still not opening up. The flow rate in the area is not really excessive and the rest of my mushrooms and coral (the most delicate corals i have are open brain and a falvia) and clam is doing fine.

I admit that they ARE under some stress. Let me explain:

I have a 2 foot tank and cannot afford to place the rock W coral i buy somewhere in the tank. For mushroom corals, what i do is to drill a hole in the live rock structure i have. I will then cut the rock the mushroom coral i have so that i have as small a rock as possible (I leave only a space for the foot). I then put them in the holes and use rock bonder to secure them.

This has worked with other mushrooms (of the 8 dollar variety). Is it true that some mushrooms are harder to keep than the others? (the mushroom i bought was flat, with no 'bumps' or 'tentecles' and whatsoever not). They are currently sitting on my substrate and i am wondering whether to proceed with sticking them on as i will have to drill them out if they die. 2 already have started melting and i threw them away..any suguesstions?

• SRC Member
I bought some mushrooms (the 25 bucks type) from reborn a week ago. they are still not opening up. The flow rate in the area is not really excessive and the rest of my mushrooms and coral (the most delicate corals i have are open brain and a falvia) and clam is doing fine.

I have a 2 foot tank and cannot afford to place the rock W coral i buy somewhere in the tank. For mushroom corals, what i do is to drill a hole in the live rock structure i have. I will then cut the rock the mushroom coral i have so that i have as small a rock as possible (I leave only a space for the foot). I then put them in the holes and use rock bonder to secure them.

This has worked with other mushrooms (of the 8 dollar variety). Is it true that some mushrooms are harder to keep than the others? (the mushroom i bought was flat, with no 'bumps' or 'tentecles' and whatsoever not). They are currently sitting on my substrate and i am wondering whether to proceed with sticking them on as i will have to drill them out if they die. 2 already have started melting and i threw them away..any suguesstions?

hmm dunno much about mushrooms but perhaps put them somewhere in the low lighting area

and try see the difference

wish u success bro

happy reefing :eyebrow:

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

• SRC Member

maybe your glue is not suitable.

maybe the mushroom was injured badly from your cut.

maybe your water parameters dont suit.

maybe the lighting is not suitable.

• SRC Member

Main thing for mushies is your lightings cannot be too strong...for instance, if your tank height is 1ft plus, 2x T5s is good enough. If using MH, have to put them in shaded areas. Depending on the type of mushies also. Discosoma more tolerant of strong lights. Rics prefer low lights. And if you use tap water for yr tank, they dun open as big.

l7304smr.jpg

Thanks for you advice; I use DI water for top up. My tank height is 14inches and i am using 4 T5s (24x4) (and not to mention, they ARE due for a change). I have a ric at the very top of my tank and it is doing fine...anyway, i will put those mushrooms in a shaded area as advised...last resort, otherwise, i would have completely wasted 25 bucks....

• SRC Member
Thanks for you advice; I use DI water for top up. My tank height is 14inches and i am using 4 T5s (24x4) (and not to mention, they ARE due for a change). I have a ric at the very top of my tank and it is doing fine...anyway, i will put those mushrooms in a shaded area as advised...last resort, otherwise, i would have completely wasted 25 bucks....

so how bro hows ur mushies doing

opening up le mah?

hehhee :eyebrow:

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

oh well, i noticed a lot of algae growing in my tank over the past few days..nitrates obviously coming from the mushrooms, which of some were 'rotting'......i took most of them out - the CMI ones. I left 2 in there - i free floating; mabye it will attatch somewhere? who knows? and one on a rock. see what happens. better waste 25 bucks than replace the livestock in my tank...my tank is only recieving around 5.5W/G of lighting. is that too much for mushrooms? mabye i should acclimatise them next time, only switch on 1/2 the lights for 2 days then full blast....corals are so funny. i almost want to laugh....