New nano tank, 80 ltr. Help on filter and lighting urgent

Recently bought a nano tank. Due to it small size therefore wont be going for a sump. After much consideration decided to get a smaller one instead of a 2 feet cube. The is since i will be using a canister, will it be wise to get those canister which is for larger capacity tank for example, 80ltr tank but using canister meant for 100 ltr tank. Or to go even higher like 120 ltr. There are currently 2 brand in my mind hydor prime 20, and fluval 305. If it to go even further, then it will be hydor prime 30 and fluval 405. But its only a 80 ltr tank. ( THis is for the filter system). Will be buying after getting respond from forummer here. Hope to get some advice, or else might ended up getting a wrong size canister.

As for the media, will diy, using ADA carbon, bio media. Thats for sure.

As for lighting system. My tank height is around 40 cm. At first i would like to have 4 T5HO ( 2 white and , 2 Blue = 24w each total 96w). But one of the lfs told me that, 2 tube is good enough. It can support all life. Although i dont intend to go for anemone, but i like those metalic coral, brain, trumpet, hammer , spawn, and the most button. Is 2 tube really sufficient for this type of coral. The draw back is i cant control the lighting, one switch open both light. As for 4 tube i can control 2 each. I wont be going for heavy stocking even if yes, it would be buttons. So the is whether to get 4 tube, or 2 tube. Was told 4 tube for 2 feet is to bright. FYI, the tube will be ATI, not china brand.

My tank spec are 60Lx39Wx40H

Currently putting water into the tank, without filter as i am using diamond water, so the water flow freaking slow take 1 hour to fill up 4 gallon. Water might be stagnant for a day. As i need help on deciding what size of canister to suit my tank. As for now, no LR. Only dead sand i think, as was bought from previous owner. Therefore i wash it, dead also nvm as will be cycling it for like 4 weeks. LR will got to find those which suit my size and desire.

:thanks:

For fish only-> check the filter that able to turn over your tank water volume 10 time

For coral -> recommended 10 to 20 time

*Try to get the filter that able to give u more space for media.

For Bottom sand i recommended u use the live sand bed around 1 to 2 cm thickness.

For the lighting it's depends on what you want to keep.coral need more light compare to fish only tank. try to get the 4 tube T5HO if really too much lighting u can remove the extra 2 tube, this way better than u buy another set later if the light output does not meet your requirement.

• SRC Member

Bro, more lights = more heat produce. If u wan to use 4xT5, How are u going to maintain your tank temp? Are u using a fan or a chiller? If u are using a fan, u need to top up your tank regularly due to the evaporation. Check around the forumn ask the senior reefer for more advice. :)

Cheers.

Reefing is like a Relationship, Once you fall in Love with it, You will Love it for Life... :wub:

5a8bbdf6e2308_YUMA16.png.f2e17836611683574a142ad6fbd86466.png

If go for 2 tube, maybe next time when want to have more better corals will be hard. As for using chiller or fan i would use those fan instead. Top-up might not be to much concern as my parent will pour water in like every 4 hours. This is just estimate from my current pico tank. As for chiller it would cost my electricity bills to increase rocket high.

If go for 2 tube, maybe next time when want to have more better corals will be hard. As for using chiller or fan i would use those fan instead. Top-up might not be to much concern as my parent will pour water in like every 4 hours. This is just estimate from my current pico tank. As for chiller it would cost my electricity bills to increase rocket high.

Do inform yr parent to top up DI water instead of tap water hor :ph34r: !

Btw, yr parent is damn busy after you jump into marine :lol: :lol: :lol:.

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

• SRC Member
Recently bought a nano tank. Due to it small size therefore wont be going for a sump. After much consideration decided to get a smaller one instead of a 2 feet cube. The is since i will be using a canister, will it be wise to get those canister which is for larger capacity tank for example, 80ltr tank but using canister meant for 100 ltr tank. Or to go even higher like 120 ltr. There are currently 2 brand in my mind hydor prime 20, and fluval 305. If it to go even further, then it will be hydor prime 30 and fluval 405. But its only a 80 ltr tank. ( THis is for the filter system). Will be buying after getting respond from forummer here. Hope to get some advice, or else might ended up getting a wrong size canister.

As for the media, will diy, using ADA carbon, bio media. Thats for sure.

As for lighting system. My tank height is around 40 cm. At first i would like to have 4 T5HO ( 2 white and , 2 Blue = 24w each total 96w). But one of the lfs told me that, 2 tube is good enough. It can support all life. Although i dont intend to go for anemone, but i like those metalic coral, brain, trumpet, hammer , spawn, and the most button. Is 2 tube really sufficient for this type of coral. The draw back is i cant control the lighting, one switch open both light. As for 4 tube i can control 2 each. I wont be going for heavy stocking even if yes, it would be buttons. So the is whether to get 4 tube, or 2 tube. Was told 4 tube for 2 feet is to bright. FYI, the tube will be ATI, not china brand.

My tank spec are 60Lx39Wx40H

Currently putting water into the tank, without filter as i am using diamond water, so the water flow freaking slow take 1 hour to fill up 4 gallon. Water might be stagnant for a day. As i need help on deciding what size of canister to suit my tank. As for now, no LR. Only dead sand i think, as was bought from previous owner. Therefore i wash it, dead also nvm as will be cycling it for like 4 weeks. LR will got to find those which suit my size and desire.

:thanks:

yep bro but sorry abit off here

why not go for a eheim canister although It is more costly but

its more trustworthy than other brands on the market

also whenever you put in ur life rock ur cycling starts and best to put ur sand bed at abt 2 inch

hahaha

happy reefing hehe :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

Bro jameshong. Yup got to admit they will be busy with stuff already lol.

Bro bugattilambo, yup instead for going for that, i went for eheim instead. Was offer an attractive price by a fellow reeffer. As for the LR having hard time searching nice and suitable LR. As for the LSand, i get a second hand Lsand instead, is a quility type " Seachem Agornite sumthing"

If you must really use a canister (not recommended for marine) be sure not to use those bio-rings, and to clean the canister filters out at least twice a month.

A skimmer is more important than a canister filter and it would be preferable to run a skimmer with more live rocks than to use a canister for your nano.

In the long run, constantly topping up DI water is a false savings. You should really consider installing a chiller.

For a Nano tank, a Hailea HC-100A or HC-150A is enough, and not too expensive ($100 - $200 second hand, and about $6 - $10 per month in electricity)

You won't have to do daily topups and your water parameters and temperature will be more stable.

AM Jalan Kayu has lots of live rock can go try there(many small pieces good for nano also) and for nano tanks, the most you will need is 3 or 4kg (less than 2 red notes)

• 2 weeks later...

For my current media in my canister, i am putting ADA bio rio. After my past experiences with it, i found it very good. As for the rest of the media like carbon, will be using ADA too. For PO4 remover, is JBL brand good. I thought of it as the price is cheapper than Rowaphos. But PO4 remover is not a concern, this is just for future use if there is a spike of PO4.