timer for chiller ?

• SRC Member
HI mates ! can i install a timer for the chiller maybe on only few hours in the noon (hot on tat time) ? ya becoz if on 24/7 bill might go up for sure. tkss :pinch:

tot chiller come with a temperature sensor? it will automatic kick in if temperature is high.

tot chiller come with a temperature sensor? it will automatic kick in if temperature is high.

tks: mopiko :thanks: but i think current still running (teach me if i'm wrong) and bro why my chiller i set 27c but i use digital thermometer to test the water is 30c sorry i'm new in marine never use chiller before :bow:

• SRC Member

You have to be sure whether the temperature showing on the chiller is correct or the external thermometer is correct.

The sensor in the chiller is detecting the temperature within the chiller. Guess you take temp using your external thermometer either in the sump or in the tank. If you were to place the ext. thermometer near a light (heat) source that explain in the diff of temperature.

Worst will be the chiller you using is under size and not able to cool your tank size. You can use you hand to feel if the tank water is cold. 27 degrees should be quite colling.

It can also be the internal chiller thermometer out of calibration if you feel the water is cold.

Depend on what internal themormeter is on your chiller. Normally it can be re-calibrate as there should be a variable resistor inside the thermometer device.

Hope this help.

You have to be sure whether the temperature showing on the chiller is correct or the external thermometer is correct.

The sensor in the chiller is detecting the temperature within the chiller. Guess you take temp using your external thermometer either in the sump or in the tank. If you were to place the ext. thermometer near a light (heat) source that explain in the diff of temperature.

Worst will be the chiller you using is under size and not able to cool your tank size. You can use you hand to feel if the tank water is cold. 27 degrees should be quite colling.

It can also be the internal chiller thermometer out of calibration if you feel the water is cold.

Depend on what internal themormeter is on your chiller. Normally it can be re-calibrate as there should be a variable resistor inside the thermometer device.

Hope this help.

mate :thanks:

For sure it help bro tks tks my chiller is actica but dun no how to calibrate ? can teach me pls :cry2:

mate :thanks:

For sure it help bro tks tks my chiller is actica but dun no how to calibrate ? can teach me pls :cry2:

most likely the pump you are using is too low flow rate. how many L/hr is the pump driving the chiller?

Unless your thermostat is faulty, might want to consider getting an external thermostat for your chiller, and/or upgrade the pump.

Putting the chiller on a timer is a bad idea, its there to maintain constant temperatures. If you want to save electricity leave the chiller set at 27C, or at most 28C (not so good for coral)

Since you already have a chiller why not maintain constant temperatures to keep your fauna happy?

Assuming your chiller is the right size for your tank (what is your tank size in Litres and your chiller model?) and your chiller pump is of sufficient flow, you should not be paying more than $6 - $10 a month to run the chiller, really peanuts compared to stocking and feeding/maintaining a marine tank.

Have you tried with another thermometer to confirm the readings? 30C is way too high for a tank with a chiller running.