Tunze DOC Skimmers

Earthborne

Hi, I am trying to gather some opinions on Tunze series of DOC skimmers. I noticed that there are little or almost no write-ups on this skimmers especially within the Sg reefing online forums. The common mentioned ones are always Deltec, H&S...etc. The Tunze seems to have a unique skimming concept and generate very little noise and consume very little power and space. As such, I am surprise that these skimmers are not popular here.

btw, I am not a Tunze dealer or anything like that. I am planning ahead for my future reef tank. I used to run a 3 ft beckette on an previous tank and while it skimmed well, it looks unsightly, consume alot of space (cannot hide in sump), needed a very powerful pump ($$$) to run and is noisy. The Tunze DOC skimmer seems like the very opposite of my beckette.

So folks, any opinion on Tunze skimmers?

Hi, I am trying to gather some opinions on Tunze series of DOC skimmers. I noticed that there are little or almost no write-ups on this skimmers especially within the Sg reefing online forums. The common mentioned ones are always Deltec, H&S...etc. The Tunze seems to have a unique skimming concept and generate very little noise and consume very little power and space. As such, I am surprise that these skimmers are not popular here.

btw, I am not a Tunze dealer or anything like that. I am planning ahead for my future reef tank. I used to run a 3 ft beckette on an previous tank and while it skimmed well, it looks unsightly, consume alot of space (cannot hide in sump), needed a very powerful pump ($$$) to run and is noisy. The Tunze DOC skimmer seems like the very opposite of my beckette.

So folks, any opinion on Tunze skimmers?

i faced the same problem as you. i used to run a beckett, it served me well. just like you, i needed the space and to reduce power, i went for a tunze DOC 9010.

so far, it's been churning out quite a decent chunk of dirty stuff (been using it for about 3 weeks now). the one big challenge is that you may need to maintain a certain water level in your sump. else it will not skim well.

also, i noticed everytime i dose the tank with food (e.g. cyclopeeze), the skimmer stops skimming (the pump still runs, but the skimming stops). After some time, it will restart skimming again!

Or does all skimmer do that? haha..

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.