FOWLR

Randy

• SRC Member

Hi I am changing my tank into angle/butterfly fish only. Would like to know what are the requirements for the water conditions. Chillers required? Lighting required? phos, nitrate etc....

Thanks.

• SRC Member
Hi I am changing my tank into angle/butterfly fish only. Would like to know what are the requirements for the water conditions. Chillers required? Lighting required? phos, nitrate etc....

Thanks.

not as stringent as lps or sps but ammonia and nitrie should be absent and nitrate they can tolerate up to 100ppm

would adice lowering sg to about 15points during your stocking period and raise slowly after yoiu have complete your stocking

• SRC Member
not as stringent as lps or sps but ammonia and nitrie should be absent and nitrate they can tolerate up to 100ppm

would adice lowering sg to about 15points during your stocking period and raise slowly after yoiu have complete your stocking

sorry whats sg? Is ammonia impt factor? got ammonia test kit but used only once when i have corals in tank :). How abt phos?. Chiller?

Thanks.

• SRC Member
sorry whats sg? Is ammonia impt factor? got ammonia test kit but used only once when i have corals in tank :). How abt phos?. Chiller?

Thanks.

For FOWLR u dont need a metal Hilide, you can use a T5 or PL lights so u dont need to invest on a chiller.

If ur are still finding it difficult to keep the temp down below 30 deg just fix a fan...but that would cause some evaporation so you need to top of fresh water, regularly!

• SRC Member
For FOWLR u dont need a metal Hilide, you can use a T5 or PL lights so u dont need to invest on a chiller.

If ur are still finding it difficult to keep the temp down below 30 deg just fix a fan...but that would cause some evaporation so you need to top of fresh water, regularly!

cool....thanks for the info. is phos impt too?

• SRC Member
i have live rocks...do i need supplements for them as well?

I still consider myself as a nooby, so other correct me if i am wrong!

I believe that all the supplements are present in the synthetic salt that you buy so as long as you keep up with the water change you don't need to add supplement & spend money on it

Make sure you cycle the water well before u add life stock, & slowly increase the population in the tank!

i have live rocks...do i need supplements for them as well?

If you are going FOWLR, you do not need any supplements.

Just be consistent with your water changes, at least 15 - 25% per month is the absolute minimum, and you should not need to add any supplements.

Nitrate levels at 100ppm are not healthy for any livestock at all. Try to keep your nitrate level below 20 - 30ppm with frequent water changes.

You do not need metal halide or high intensity lighting for a FOWLR tank. T5 fluorescent / actinic tubes will be sufficient.

I strongly recommend a chiller and not to let the temperature go above 28C at ANY time if you intend to keep angels, high temperatures will

stress them out, they will break out in ich and in turn stress you out.

Chilling with fans works, but its a false savings, and you cannot maintain as stable temperatures. The evaporation rate is not to be underestimated,

and you will be topping up fairly large quantities of water daily or every few days.

Getting a chiller now will save yourself a huge headache and potentially more cost and problems in the future.

Treated tap water is not ideal (it contains phosphates / nitrates etc which can build up very

quickly if you need to do daily topups of evaporated water.

You should be using only Distilled or Deionized water for your topups, and these costs will add up very quickly.

I was running a fan cooled 3ft tank, barely keeping it at 29C, and I was topping up 30 - 50 litres of water a week for example.

A chiller will do a better job with a lot less of a hassle and cost less in the long run.

How big is your tank, and what salt mix are you using for your water?

Removing phosphates will prevent nuisance algae growth, otherwise water changes should keep the levels low enough that it shouldn't be a big problem.

• SRC Member
If you are going FOWLR, you do not need any supplements.

Just be consistent with your water changes, at least 15 - 25% per month is the absolute minimum, and you should not need to add any supplements.

Nitrate levels at 100ppm are not healthy for any livestock at all. Try to keep your nitrate level below 20 - 30ppm with frequent water changes.

You do not need metal halide or high intensity lighting for a FOWLR tank. T5 fluorescent / actinic tubes will be sufficient.

I strongly recommend a chiller and not to let the temperature go above 28C at ANY time if you intend to keep angels, high temperatures will

stress them out, they will break out in ich and in turn stress you out.

Chilling with fans works, but its a false savings, and you cannot maintain as stable temperatures. The evaporation rate is not to be underestimated,

and you will be topping up fairly large quantities of water daily or every few days.

Getting a chiller now will save yourself a huge headache and potentially more cost and problems in the future.

Treated tap water is not ideal (it contains phosphates / nitrates etc which can build up very

quickly if you need to do daily topups of evaporated water.

You should be using only Distilled or Deionized water for your topups, and these costs will add up very quickly.

I was running a fan cooled 3ft tank, barely keeping it at 29C, and I was topping up 30 - 50 litres of water a week for example.

A chiller will do a better job with a lot less of a hassle and cost less in the long run.

How big is your tank, and what salt mix are you using for your water?

Removing phosphates will prevent nuisance algae growth, otherwise water changes should keep the levels low enough that it shouldn't be a big problem.

my water change promotes red slim algae so i assume the phos is pretty high for the new water (from tap) although it helps in nitrate level redduction..

i recommend fish solution from ecosystem =)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

u can consider getting chaeto or algae scrubber

Main tank: 4.5 x 2.5 x 2
Skimmer: Deltec AP701
Return pump: RD 6

Chiller: Daikin compressor with Titanium coil
Wavemaker: Jebao w-20, Maxspect Gyre xf150

Lighting: 8x54 ATI Sunpower Non-dimmable

Linked tank
Main tank: 2 x 1 x 2
Return: Eheim 1260
Lighting: AI Hydra 26 with controller
Wavemaker: Tunze 6025
My decommed 3 ft setup

is that kinda topup? is it cheap?

nope. it is some sort of additive for the well being of ur fish system.

not exactly cheap. like 30 dollars

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

is that kinda topup? is it cheap?

nope. it is some sort of additive for the well being of ur fish system.

not exactly cheap. like 30 dollars

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets