comy's newbie tank

comycus

• Senior Reefer

actually, one of the biggest mistake is having a human-human attachment to fishes. as fishes, they simply do not have the capacity to react like the way a human does, or a dog. when ur fish die after keeping very long or if they get diseased, this kind of attachment can make u feel very guilty or depressed. especially if the fish cost a bomb like say a rhomboid wrasse or some other upper tier fish. moreover, spending so much money on food is not going to make them any happier than feeding them NLS or mysis. they dont taste and go "wahhh im in heaven this is great!" they eat by instinct and do so to survive.

if you really want to make your fishes happy, clean water, ample swimming space and low aggression will make your fishes happier anyday. don't take it the wrong way. its good you are showing so much care for them. its just not practical in the long run. money can be spent on other things.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Senior Reefer
feeding fishes with various types of food will ensure they get sufficient nutrition from different sources of food which will in the long run increase their lifespan in an enclosed habitat....that's how i see it.

yes true. pellets contain almost all nutritonal requirements blended together in one bite size chunck. amino acids, carbohydrates, vitamins, caretenoids etc all present. for fishes that do not eat pellets, like copperbands, mysis, cyclopeese and other meaty marine food is sufficient for them. success and longevity of a given species in a home tank is not solely contributed by food. it does play a very important part of lifespan, but its not 100%.

doesnt mean u feed a fish 1000 types of food but keep it in an inhospitable environment, the chances of survival is very high. whilst it is important, it is not necessary to overdo it. some foods have all the nutritional benefits found in the pellet already.

btw comycus, try not to overfeed since you are using a canister.

edit* feeding fishes a wide range of food to ensure survival is not true for some species. take for example moorish idol. remember my moorish idol many months ago? it ate mysis, NLS, ocean nutrition, flake, prawns, 5 kinds of pellets, nori, and practically everything. even terrestrial foods like bananas. but end up dying even tho it was transferred to a 6ft tank.

• SRC Member

Differing views on variety food feeding la lemon. I like to feed more variety coz I like to, no scientific evidence that it is better or worse for the fish. Don't think there's a need to agree here. As for feeding, I only feed 1-2 times daily and have a pretty low stocking level. I believe in regular water changes too and canister or sump has little bearing on the success of a tank if husbandry is good.

Spending ability and practicality also differ from individuals. If everyone has to subscribe to the same thinking and spending habits, then all tanks will look the same! Of course there are some basic principles in reefing tt 1 can't run away from. As for the rest, can talk till the cows come home also will have various tastes, views.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

haha paiseh guys, haven't been checking my thread... the attempt to culture pods didn't make it due to poor water quality. Oh wells, maybe when I find the mood to try again will embark on it later on :)

Anyway just to update my plans for the tank this year, just concentrate on maintaining status quo and add afew corals now and then... I have to concentrate my savings on other stuff, so yeah... In the meantime, just decided to snap some shots of my mandarin. Realise his pointed dorsal fin comes out when he's 'hunting' his food. Really slow eater, only manages to eat ~3-4 mysis daily. He really hunts them down and only strikes when the food stops moving. Hope that between the mysis and my meagre pods in the tank is enough nutrition for him. So far everything looks alright to me...

post-16489-1262792835_thumb.jpg

post-16489-1262792787_thumb.jpg

haha paiseh guys, haven't been checking my thread... the attempt to culture pods didn't make it due to poor water quality. Oh wells, maybe when I find the mood to try again will embark on it later on :)

Anyway just to update my plans for the tank this year, just concentrate on maintaining status quo and add afew corals now and then... I have to concentrate my savings on other stuff, so yeah... In the meantime, just decided to snap some shots of my mandarin. Realise his pointed dorsal fin comes out when he's 'hunting' his food. Really slow eater, only manages to eat ~3-4 mysis daily. He really hunts them down and only strikes when the food stops moving. Hope that between the mysis and my meagre pods in the tank is enough nutrition for him. So far everything looks alright to me...

he looks so fat. dang mine is really malnutritioned.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

that's a beauty bro ... looking very healthy ... really gotta get one later ...

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Supporter

hey bro, good to see u active again.

having a budget is a good practise! if ever u want to get something we can share if u wan. share cost :P

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member
Thx guys! yeah... I think I can only afford small frags, have to be disciplined! Limited resources, unlimited wants... haiz

Dun say you have limited resources...there's ways to share cost...if u r looking for acan, zoa, mushrooms, i can frag for you..only some i cannot frag like prata..haha...end of the month i will be cheonging LFS, trying to hunt for nice zoas to add some blue into my tank...will update you bah.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
Dun say you have limited resources...there's ways to share cost...if u r looking for acan, zoa, mushrooms, i can frag for you..only some i cannot frag like prata..haha...end of the month i will be cheonging LFS, trying to hunt for nice zoas to add some blue into my tank...will update you bah.

Cheonging GO again huh??? :eyebrow:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member
Yup...end of Jan.

GO GO GO supporter... :whistle

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
GO GO GO supporter... :whistle

It just happened it is near my mother in-law's place and my mom's place...if i stay in the east like marine parade, tampines or pasir ris, i will probably be a regular at the farms there...haha...

Anyway, its good to GO there to relief itchiness and stress.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
It just happened it is near my mother in-law's place and my mom's place...if i stay in the east like marine parade, tampines or pasir ris, i will probably be a regular at the farms there...haha...

Anyway, its good to GO there to relief itchiness and stress.

I somehow dun think so leh... :eyebrow:

U looking fo rblue stuff this time? Thought CNY should be looking for red stuff...

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
I somehow dun think so leh... :eyebrow:

U looking fo rblue stuff this time? Thought CNY should be looking for red stuff...

haha...that is also part of the plan...already got one red prata to welcome the prosperous year of the tiger before 1st jan...but still will be looking out to add another red stuff.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
haha...that is also part of the plan...already got one red prata to welcome the prosperous year of the tiger before 1st jan...but still will be looking out to add another red stuff.

Red Brain, Red Zoas, Red Yumas, Red Mushies... :eyebrow:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• 2 months later...

weird.... have to go until page 4 then can find your tank page :P

How's your PBT doing?

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

uh oh... I haven't been checking my tank thread! :paiseh::paiseh::paiseh:

errm pbt is doing great! Never had a single white spots outbreak, think SL's fishes really are good eh? Its finally feeding ferociously after being starved for 1 week. Really happy! :)

I think my tank's turning into a fowlr at the rate I'm going... red slime pls go away soon!

uh oh... I haven't been checking my tank thread! blushing.gifblushing.gifblushing.gif

errm pbt is doing great! Never had a single white spots outbreak, think SL's fishes really are good eh? Its finally feeding ferociously after being starved for 1 week. Really happy! smile.gif

I think my tank's turning into a fowlr at the rate I'm going... red slime pls go away soon!

Wah.. the sun is going to set in the east today....

Comy updated his thread... hahahaha

money well spent on that nice PBT.

Hope Desi dun see these posts, remind her of her heartache.....