Artica 1/10 HP chiller

HI

Does anyone know what is the power consumption( wattage ) for Artica 1/10 HP chiller. From Artica website, it is stated as 75 watts. Is the chiller using 75 watts @ 110 volts or 240 volts ? From the wattage, I would like to calculate the power consumption used per month.

• SRC Member

Definitely not 75 watts... That's even less consumption than a standing fan or toaster LOL.

Wattage is calculated not by dividing 750 watts by 10 directly - that is a common misconception:

Anyway I can't find the 75 watts you are referring to on the website, the official JBJ Arctica site is here:

http://www.jbjlighting.com/prod-arctica-aquarium.html

I think this is 115V as used in America, in Singapore it's 220V, so checking local distributor for the actual wattage is more reliable.

post-15730-1251767235_thumb.jpg

To answer your question, it's 350 watts, 1.6A according to AM's website:

http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/productsDetail.asp?productid=51

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

The information must be wrong, let's say for the 1/20 chiller, it's impossible that it consumes around the same wattage as a light bulb right? Arctica has superior performance over other china made ones, but I don't think power savings it's so drastic. The efficiency comes from the cooling reservoir and titanium coil which keeps the water chilled longer.

The daeil website probably represented 1/10hp as 75 watts by dividing 1hp (745W) by 10, which is not how the actual power consumption is rated.

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

I saw on the Artica manual from the chiller packaging box is rated as 75 watts. Hence, I am not too sure whether it is using 74 watts @ 110 volts or 240 volts. If it is true, it will be a power saving chiller compared to china made chiller which is using about 200 to 300 watts.

• SRC Member

Although I highly doubt your claim, if this is true, I'm getting myself an Arctica chiller this week :P

The daeil document you linked states that the compressor is rated at 75 watts, but what about the fan and other components of the chiller? :)

Only way you can be sure of the true wattage consumed is to run it on a power meter to measure. If anyone has an Arctica chiller I don't mind loaning a power meter to see if it really draws only 75 watts when operating.

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member
- We pay electrical bill based on kWh and the current rate is S$0.2115 per kWh. And kWh and merely taking the power rating of the equipment multiply by the hours of usage. Power = Current x Voltage x power factor of the equipment. (unless some electrical fellow can counter me, ):

- Horsepower is only a measure of the amount of heat removal per unit time. Though 1 HP = 745W (something like that lah), it is wrong to assume 1/10 HP chiller consume 75W.

- From jbjlightings in Singapore - Artica chiller

1/10 hp = 225W

1/5 hp = 360W

1/4 hp = 430W

1/2 hp = 600W

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23011

An old thread from another local forum in 2006.

Actually if you still don't believe that it's not 75 watts, the best way to verify is to call local distributor to check :)

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

Yes, I may be wrong. Any Artica 1/10 HP users to verify the wattage ?

75watt is bit impossible <_< !

Anyway, Let me check my 1/10hp manual and get back to you :rolleyes: .

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

• SRC Member

save everyone some trouble :)

http://www.jbjlighting.com/pdfs/AquariumSeriesManual.pdf

DBA-075: 450W

Although the specs listed are for 115v, 240v can't be that far off to like 75W.

btw, in my experience, estimating electricity bill for running the chiller should only be used as a ballpark figure, because it is hard to estimate the amount of time your chiller kicks in and how long it takes to chill your tank. Many factors are involved here including number of pumps used, heat generated from these pumps, lighting used, lighting period, ambient room temperature, evaporation rate etc. Every tank will be different. The best way to estimate your costs is to monitor the chiller at work in your tank for a couple of days.

That said, if you are considering whether to buy Arctica chillers, other factors such as peace of mind with using a good brand, excellent after sales support with 2 years warranty and cleaning services should come in. With so many reefers satisfied over using them speaks much about it.

btw I'm a happy Teco user, not an Arctica fan. :) and I apologize in advanced if I'm assuming too much by thinking you are considering buying an Arctica.

• SRC Member
Comycus

I know there are many factors affecting the chiller to activate. I want to estimate the average and maximum of electricity cost of using a chiller.

like that then maybe can share some of my 'research' for you to build upon.

Although I'm not an Arctica user, based on the few replies I got from the bros here, their chillers kick in on average 5-8 hours per day. This is for those who have got oversized chillers to chill their tanks.

For example, on average, my 1/5 Teco takes 6-7 hours to chill my ~80G worth of total water daily. Of course better brands should have more efficient chilling that leads to either lesser electricity consumption, shorter cooling times or both.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps you in your research!

Jameshong

Did u estimate how much is the electricity bill for running your chiller ?

Hi bro,

sorry never calculate la.. :whistle !

btw, manual can found any indication of watt but the carton box displayed as 75Watt :eyebrow: !

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

RockyBoy is right.Use the running current for electrical costing

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016