My new Dream tank ?

Harlequinmania

New addition.. Pair of Hawaii Harlequin Shrimp :rolleyes:

Hey mania, let me know houw much starfish they consume monthly pls once you have an average.

thinking of getting a pair too.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Supporter

Yes, are the harlequin shrimp is all feeding now.. I am Feeding them with linckia Blue starfish. This is how i maintain a feeding schedule for them ;

1) Get 3 - 5 pcs of Blue Linckia starfish in the tank.

2) once they attack and finish one of the leg of the starfish, take it out and leave it in the sump or refugium for it to re-growth back the leg while they attack on the other starfish. The Harlequin shrimp is pretty clever in the sense that they will only not kill the starfish until finishing the last leg of it.

3) By doing so, with 3 - 5 pcs of blue linckia starfish it should be able to last them for a year without replacing new one .

4) The starfish should be growing new leg in about a month time, so i can take it out and put it back into the main tank again. ( However, not all star fish will grow back their legs.. )

Yes, are the harlequin shrimp is all feeding now.. I am Feeding them with linckia Blue starfish. This is how i maintain a feeding schedule for them ;

1) Get 3 - 5 pcs of Blue Linckia starfish in the tank.

2) once they attack and finish one of the leg of the starfish, take it out and leave it in the sump or refugium for it to re-growth back the leg while they attack on the other starfish. The Harlequin shrimp is pretty clever in the sense that they will only not kill the starfish until finishing the last leg of it.

3) By doing so, with 3 - 5 pcs of blue linckia starfish it should be able to last them for a year without replacing new one .

4) The starfish should be growing new leg in about a month time, so i can take it out and put it back into the main tank again. ( However, not all star fish will grow back their legs.. )

Eh bro, please educate me.

Does water parameters play a part for starfishes to grow back their legs? I heard it's not easy eh (: Care to share this knowledge with me?

Greatly appreciated! :D

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Supporter
Eh bro, please educate me.

Does water parameters play a part for starfishes to grow back their legs? I heard it's not easy eh (: Care to share this knowledge with me?

Greatly appreciated! :D

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Water condition should be maintin in good condition in order for the starfish to grow back it's legs.

Some species of sea star like the Red and Blue Linckia star fish are the few which have the ability to regenerate lost arms and can regrow an entire new arm in time. However, these species must have the central part of the body intact to be able to regenerate, but a few can grow an entire sea star from a single ray provided that the vital organs are kept in their body.

• SRC Supporter
i think the probe shld not be in the refugium,

the algae will make it not accurate v soon.

is the carpet big enough for the 2 jokers? haha

So far so good. Abit cramp though for these two fellows :pinch: ..

Finally manage to fullfill my dream tank in my new home after years & years. Due to the limitation of space in my old place ,i cant manage to have a bigger tank build but it is definitely much easier to build when the whole place is empty ... :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

tank size ; 15 mm Crystal Glass ( 72" X 24 X 28 " )

Hope to be able to share with you guys here the journey, fun in the setting up of my new marine tank, and maybe some of you guys can pick up some new idea too in your setup or sharing so of those withe me.. :upsidedown:

will try to post more pics when i can..

Hi Bro, finally started your 6ft tank ... very very nice tank set up ..can share with me the tank maker contact no. cos may want to make a partition between living room & room 5ft tank.. currently my 4FT tank is make by AM VERY EX....

Hi Bro, finally started your 6ft tank ... very very nice tank set up ..can share with me the tank maker contact no. cos may want to make a partition between living room & room 5ft tank.. currently my 4FT tank is make by AM VERY EX....

Sure, i will PM you.. Each tank maker got their own selling point and services, so it also depend what you are looking for in your setup.

Took some shot of this fella when he came out strolling in the sand bed. :eyebrow:

Whats that he's carrying?

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
Took some shot of this fella when he came out strolling in the sand bed. :eyebrow:

so nice. :wub: so tempted to get one pair as well. can take care of my astroid stars as well.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Supporter

lol v funni carrying his food around. like a kid running around with the ice cream LOL!

LaW: the shrimp cant climb leh so those on the wall maynot be able to be eaten and i hearsay the shrimp will starve bcos the stars too small and ur tank is too big for them to find :P

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member
lol v funni carrying his food around. like a kid running around with the ice cream LOL!

LaW: the shrimp cant climb leh so those on the wall maynot be able to be eaten and i hearsay the shrimp will starve bcos the stars too small and ur tank is too big for them to find :P

kinda cute.. but kinda gross as well..

starfish got taken one leg out alive.. haha...

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member

:lol: LOLOLOL then bo bian law, need to buy them some sand shift for easy find. but their diet can be really troublesome for making trips to farm. :eyeblur:

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

harlequin shrimp are really beautiful. Cannot bring myself to keep them due to their food requirement though... Pretty stuff are hard to maintain.. :eyebrow:

Main Tank: 5 x 1 x 1

Return from overflow: Eheim compact+ 5000

Lighting: 2x 54W T5

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1350

Chiller: Arctica 1/10

Wave Maker: Tunze Nano Wavebox & Tunze 6055 with Photocell
Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor
Monitor 2: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor