dead rocks

Minitank

I have read somewhere in the forum that it is sometimes better to use dead rock than live rocks

so that no pest like mantis shrimp or worms will be introduced to the new tank.

Also, the dead rocks can ultimately becomes live rock over time. But there must be disadvantages

of using dead rocks, otherwise why so many forummers are still using live rocks. What are

the disadvantages beside longer cycling time?

• Senior Reefer

if u use 100% dead rocks, it will ultimately remain dead.

dead rock can only become liverock in the presence of other live rocks. that way, the "live" things can spread and make home in the dead rock.

also, the variety of microfauna and other wonderful things that grow on your dead rocks will be determined by your live ones. more live rock = a greater number of microfauna.

fully cured liverocks free of pests are one of the best things to have in an aquarium. good biological filtration, abundant live forms and great hiding places for your fishes.

if u use 100% dead rocks, it will ultimately remain dead.

dead rock can only become liverock in the presence of other live rocks. that way, the "live" things can spread and make home in the dead rock.

also, the variety of microfauna and other wonderful things that grow on your dead rocks will be determined by your live ones. more live rock = a greater number of microfauna.

fully cured liverocks free of pests are one of the best things to have in an aquarium. good biological filtration, abundant live forms and great hiding places for your fishes.

Thank you for your advice. Looks like i have to look for liverocks and get rid of the pests

• SRC Member
Thank you for your advice. Looks like i have to look for liverocks and get rid of the pests

hmm what you can actually look for right now is those reefers that are currently decomming

as they have kept their rocks for a period of time, there shouldnt be any pest in it

and it would also enable you to cycle ur tank faster

cheers

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

• 6 months later...
  • SRC Member
Does anyone has experience with dead rocks ? How long will I need to make it live again assuming if I introduce a few pieces that is live ...

Need advice ..

there is no fixed time, alot of factor will come in. best method still using test kit to tell.

• SRC Member
But there must be disadvantages of using dead rocks, otherwise why so many forummers are still using live rocks. What are the disadvantages beside longer cycling time?

Live rocks contain a huge variety of beneficial (in addition to detrimental) flora and fauna. If you use pure dead rocks, these beneficial organisms will need to be introduced into the tank via other means. e.g. live rock/sand from a donor reefer, bacterial cultures, NSW, etc...

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Live rocks contain a huge variety of beneficial (in addition to detrimental) flora and fauna. If you use pure dead rocks, these beneficial organisms will need to be introduced into the tank via other means. e.g. live rock/sand from a donor reefer, bacterial cultures, NSW, etc...

oh ok... i've only access to NSW. so probably that is the only source of "life" for my dead rocks... many thanks. :)