Measured NO3 in my FO tank

Crab

Nothing to do yesterday. Measured nitrate in my few years old FO tank. Using Salifert test kit.

1st attempt: Outside the scale of 100mg/l

2nd attempt: Increase the test sample by 5 times. Still exceed 100mg/l

Does it mean that NO3 is > 500mg/l ?

For the 2nd attempt, Am I doing it correctly? Do I just increase sample by 5 times or use 1 part sample and 4 part distilled water? I think it's a little tricky here, maybe has to drain 4/5 before comparing with the colour chart. Following the same logic of high/low scale reading in the instruction leaflet.

• SRC Member

Actually it doesn't matter the test clock over the scale of 100mg/l or did you dilute the test solution properly or not.

At > 100mg/l , you still have to do some work to reduce the NO3 soon...

If you are using an old test kit of a few years old... you will get crazy results.

Buy a fresh test kit of reputable brand and retest.. or borrow one.

At that levels of nitrates... your livestock should be suffering/dead.

The test kit (Salifert) is new, reputable & OK. I've use it on another reef tank and its about 25-50 mg/l.

My fishes are ok, all 4-8 inch size, includes angels, tang, butterfly & others. Have > 10 in there. Most of them have been with me for many years since they're transferred from my old tank.

• SRC Member

Yeah. some test kit dunno is why not working.. I bought Sera one and my No3 measured > 80mg even at diluted test. But one day no choice my bro tank crash and he brought his fish to my tank. I told him my No3 quite high but he say no choice, rather than let the fish die in a small tank.

He live very well for days. It's then i suspect something wrong with the test kit and use another Sera test kit to try, my bro one and No3 came out around 10mg only.

Just retest yesterday. Dillute 1 part sample by adding 4 part distilled water. Drain out 4 part and left with one part & compare with colour chart. Actual result is around 125mg/l (after multiply by 5)

Also went to reefcentral, many FO tank owner has nitrate above scale. Some even > 130mg/l. Endless debates over bioballs, nitrate factories & dsb on FO tank. The more I read, the more I'm confused.

izzit correct to say that if your nitrate level is high then the algae growth in your tank will be much more? if so does it mean that if NO3 is low, then your algae problem will be reduced? :thanks:

That's for sure :D

I overcome it by dimming the room during day time. Minimal algae :whistle