Help with Clownfish

• SRC Member

Hi, need your advise, still a newbie.

I've recently got a Ocellaris clownfish, 2 days now in my tank. He's very curious, and always exploring, and quite fun to watch bobbing here and there. But he still haven't eaten, at least the "pellets" that were given to me by the shop. My damsel and angel are active and quite fast to eat the food. Is this normal for the clown, i mean since he's just intro'd to the tank, or anything else i need to feed him ? :thanks:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member
was it feeding in the shop? If it was, prob just need time to settle down into the tank. Are the angel n damsel bullying your clown?

If it still doesn't eat, you might want to try to bait it with live food or frozen food.

Thanks. not really bullying, maybe a little, passing by him time to time. umm, what live food and where to buy ? krill ? and how to i "bait" it without the others ganging up on the food first :thanks:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

if you can catch it into a betta box will be good. Next time should release fish into box first to train them to eat prepared food then let them out. Otherwise just drop enough to satisfy your other fishes and then dangle food in front of your clown.

Live brine shrimp can be found at some LFS, no nutritional value, but tt's worse case scenario. Ocellaris should feed easily, no need to resort to that.

• SRC Member
if you can catch it into a betta box will be good. Next time should release fish into box first to train them to eat prepared food then let them out. Otherwise just drop enough to satisfy your other fishes and then dangle food in front of your clown.

Live brine shrimp can be found at some LFS, no nutritional value, but tt's worse case scenario. Ocellaris should feed easily, no need to resort to that.

ok, i'll try that, thanks. btw, how long should i keep new fish in betta box to train before release ? :rolleyes:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member
u can try feeding with frozen mysis shrimps or brine shrimps.. or even henry gourmet..

think its always good to give fishes different treats.. some of the fishes will be attracted by different types of food but as for your clownfish shouldnt be any problem feeding pellets.. :rolleyes:

ok, thanks both for your help :upsidedown:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member
Henry gourmet sure eat one.. :eyebrow:

umm, ok i tried yesterday to feed "more", and it actually worked, but i noticed that my clown spit out the pellets after trying a few times to catch some. any recommend where i can find henry gourmet / live krill or others, ang mo kio - bishan nearby areas ? :thanks:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member
umm, ok i tried yesterday to feed "more", and it actually worked, but i noticed that my clown spit out the pellets after trying a few times to catch some. any recommend where i can find henry gourmet / live krill or others, ang mo kio - bishan nearby areas ? :thanks:

Henry's food is sold by Henry. lol

MarineLife

178 Hong Leong Garden Shopping Centre

West Coast Way

Tel : 6777 4047

Fax : 6873 1178

Mobile : 9843 6032

Mondays : 4pm - 8pm

Tues - Sat : 12pm - 8pm

Sundays : 1pm - 8pm

Closed on the following Public Holidays : New Year, CNY, Labour Day, National Day & Christmas

Anyway your clowns are starting to feed. They might not be used to the pellets yet but they sound like they are trying to get used to the taste of eating pellets. In no time, they will be chomping them down. How small are they? If you find that they are spitting out the pellets and eating bits of it again, your pellets might be too big for them. If they are spitting out 1-2 pellets after eating like 10, then its just a sign that they are full.

• SRC Member

lol ... thanks. well, tired eating about 6, and spit all of em out <_<

about 5cm. i guess i'll just have to try again, just afraid might weaken and go hungry.

will brine be worth to try ?

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

about 5cm. i guess i'll just have to try again, just afraid might weaken and go hungry.

bro don't need to worry so much la... :lol: anyway brine by itself has no nutritional value whatsoever, if you want, go for mysis.

• SRC Member

Hi bro,

Try feeding small pieces/bits of market prawns to test it.

Not too much so as not to affect your water quality.

Most prepared frozen food contain market prawns as one of the ingredients though.

Clown fish should be easy to feed..

• SRC Member

thanks bros comycus, limsc ... hehe of course first fishes, so just want to make sure they're treated well :eyebrow:

prawn bits, mysis, brine ... yeah maybe i'll try that after sometime ... see how can i get them to eat my current one.

i'll give it until this weekend, if same, then i'll go try. :thanks::thanks::thanks:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member
thanks bros comycus, limsc ... hehe of course first fishes, so just want to make sure they're treated well :eyebrow:

prawn bits, mysis, brine ... yeah maybe i'll try that after sometime ... see how can i get them to eat my current one.

i'll give it until this weekend, if same, then i'll go try. :thanks::thanks::thanks:

Of course market prawn much easier to get than mysis, brine... :eyebrow:

Cheers.

• SRC Member

Thanks bros ... just to update, my clown's feeding ! just tried isolating him form the others, and sure enough when i dropped the pellets, he started eating them ... looked quite hungry :rolleyes: thanks again for the help.

25 Gal Micro Ocean