Faulty Chiller & Replacement options

I have a 6 ft tank with 3 metal halide lights which used to be filled with corals and fish until around 6 months ago when I had a bad electrical fault and the whole tank died. I have been cycling the tank for several months now to start again.

However I turned on my chiller a few days ago (Resun CL 650) and it doesn't work. It was second hand when I bought it at the beginning of the year but was only running a few months before the tank died. so I cant understand what could be wrong with it. the water is being pumped through and the LED display is working but the temperature isn't dropping.

The fish shop said it would cost $40 for the company to come and look at it, it may costs a few hundred dollars to repair and recommended I buy a new one (same type $750 with 6 months guarentee). I think its a scam just to get me to buy a new chiller. Also at the moment I really dont want to pay that much (my last chiller Artica only lasted 2 years and cost me almost $2K) as I need the money to restock my whole tank anyway

any advice on what I can do with the chiller. is it worth trying to get it fixed, is it worth trying to buy another second hand one (where can I buy these), if I need to get a new one, is the price quoted reasonable for this type of chiller

thanks

• SRC Member
I have a 6 ft tank with 3 metal halide lights which used to be filled with corals and fish until around 6 months ago when I had a bad electrical fault and the whole tank died. I have been cycling the tank for several months now to start again.

However I turned on my chiller a few days ago (Resun CL 650) and it doesn't work. It was second hand when I bought it at the beginning of the year but was only running a few months before the tank died. so I cant understand what could be wrong with it. the water is being pumped through and the LED display is working but the temperature isn't dropping.

The fish shop said it would cost $40 for the company to come and look at it, it may costs a few hundred dollars to repair and recommended I buy a new one (same type $750 with 6 months guarentee). I think its a scam just to get me to buy a new chiller. Also at the moment I really dont want to pay that much (my last chiller Artica only lasted 2 years and cost me almost $2K) as I need the money to restock my whole tank anyway

any advice on what I can do with the chiller. is it worth trying to get it fixed, is it worth trying to buy another second hand one (where can I buy these), if I need to get a new one, is the price quoted reasonable for this type of chiller

thanks

First and foremost, do you hear the compressor running? If you never hear the compressor running or kicking in, then most likely the compressor is defective and it's going to be very expensive to replace it.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member

thanks

u can contact Derrick 97979910 to help... (thats if i got the number correct!)

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• SRC Member

$750 for a new resun 650 is way too ex. Can go Chilldown website to check their repair services. If compressor spoil think replace only $200+.

Or maybe only change compressor motor. Maybe can get parts from sim lim tower

Project R.E.

Main Tank: 48" x 18" x 24" 12mm with external overflow piping

Sump Tank: 28" x 14.5" x 12" (3 compartments)

Lightings: T5 HO - Hopar 3* 39w + ATI 2* 54w

Skimmer: Skimz Bullet Beckett

Chiller: Resun CL-650 (28 - 29 °C)

Wavemakers: 2* Seio M620 + 1* Hydor K2 (7100 litre / hr)

Fluidized Reactor: Skimz FR (currently empty)

Pumps: 1x Rio 32HF (Skimmer), 1x Rio 20HF (Return & Chiller)

Filtration: more than 80kg LRs, chaeto

Water Circulation: ~ 4000 litre / hr

Future Plans: additional wavemaker, DIY algae scrubber, DIY overflow box

Previously:

Project R : 36" x 12" x 24" 10mm reef

thanks

I dun think it is advisable to use CL650 for a 6ft tank moreover you are running MH. You need at least a 1/2 hp to support your tank. If your Arctica is still around, why not send it for servicing? I understand this is a very good brand.

your CL650 cannot be used on a 6ft with 3 MH.

it is 1/4 HP, max for 650L tank. Brand new at $498

http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/productsDetail.asp?productid=62

go get a higher rating chiller.

How to size chiller:

http://www.jbjlighting.com/pdfs/Arctica-Brochure2.pdf

http://the.dataconcepts.com/jbjlighting/pr...hiller-size.asp

go look at pasar malam for 2nd hand chiller deals.

good luck!

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

your CL650 cannot be used on a 6ft with 3 MH.

it is 1/4 HP, max for 650L tank. Brand new at $498

http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/productsDetail.asp?productid=62

go get a higher rating chiller.

How to size chiller:

http://www.jbjlighting.com/pdfs/Arctica-Brochure2.pdf

http://the.dataconcepts.com/jbjlighting/pr...hiller-size.asp

go look at pasar malam for 2nd hand chiller deals.

good luck!

hi where is the pasar malam and where should I look.

• SRC Member
hi where is the pasar malam and where should I look.

The Pasar Malam section in this forum:

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=10

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
just want to add on...

i'm using the CL650 for my 4ft tank...

i takes about 5hrs to chill from 30deg to 27deg...

i feel that it should not take so long...

anyway, flowrate is about 1000L/hr...

If your flowrate is 1000L/hr, it is far too low already. You need a much higher flow rate and if you are using a pump/powerhead rated at 1,000L/hr, when you take into consideration the head loss, you are going to get a flow rate far less than 1000L/hr.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

If your flowrate is 1000L/hr, it is far too low already. You need a much higher flow rate and if you are using a pump/powerhead rated at 1,000L/hr, when you take into consideration the head loss, you are going to get a flow rate far less than 1000L/hr.

i'm using a 1300L/hr pump.. so estimate about 1000L/hr...

so do u know wat's the recommended flow rate?

and usually it takes how long to cool the tank?

• SRC Member
i'm using a 1300L/hr pump.. so estimate about 1000L/hr...

so do u know wat's the recommended flow rate?

and usually it takes how long to cool the tank?

How high is your tank from your pump? If it is around 1.5m, the flowrate will only be around 60% of the rated flowrate. If you are using an Atman pump e.g. AT-104 where the max head is only 2.0m, then the drop in flow rate will be even larger.

If you are using a Resun Chiller, then you should be aiming for a flowrate of at least 2,000-3,000L/hr which means you will have to use a pump rated at 3,000-4,500L/hr flowrate and has a max head of at least 3.0m.

If your temp setting is 27 degC, it shouldn't take more than 2 hr to cool down from 30 to 27degC. Subsequently from 28 to 27degC, the time taken should only be around 30-45 mins or so at the max.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

How high is your tank from your pump? If it is around 1.5m, the flowrate will only be around 60% of the rated flowrate. If you are using an Atman pump e.g. AT-104 where the max head is only 2.0m, then the drop in flow rate will be even larger.

If you are using a Resun Chiller, then you should be aiming for a flowrate of at least 2,000-3,000L/hr which means you will have to use a pump rated at 3,000-4,500L/hr flowrate and has a max head of at least 3.0m.

If your temp setting is 27 degC, it shouldn't take more than 2 hr to cool down from 30 to 27degC. Subsequently from 28 to 27degC, the time taken should only be around 30-45 mins or so at the max.

i'm pumping the water back to my sump...

anyway... i try another pump then...