Black Clowns got Ich

• SRC Member

I read that temperature plays a major role too.

Rising temperature slowly will help rid Ich, not too high of course esp. if you have corals.. maintaining it at low temperatures will further the spread.

There are many products out there for parasitic quarantine baths you might wish to try in future for your new fishes.

There are also some copper-less medications which i am not too sure if they are good.

Copper medications take a big toll on your corals,skimmer and some invertebrates so do take note not to overdose if u have any of these plus turning skimmer off for a while.

Apart from a reformative clean setup solution,

any brands you guys tested that are good to use?

I ich more than my fishes when they ich so i am curious to know too.

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.

• SRC Member

im sorry to hear that reefzzz.

dun worry, black clowns are alway available and when come in whole numbers, im sure there are unique patterns up for u to grab.

all the best for your next pair.

and hope ur YT is good by now.

add bac for the time being to stablise ur tank more.

regards.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member
I read that temperature plays a major role too.

Rising temperature slowly will help rid Ich, not too high of course esp. if you have corals.. maintaining it at low temperatures will further the spread.

There are many products out there for parasitic quarantine baths you might wish to try in future for your new fishes.

There are also some copper-less medications which i am not too sure if they are good.

Copper medications take a big toll on your corals,skimmer and some invertebrates so do take note not to overdose if u have any of these plus turning skimmer off for a while.

Bro, thanks for your info.. I guess I just have to quarantine the fishes in future. I only keep 2 or 3 fishes for my previous setup and do not have issues with ich. As I intend to keep more fishes now, I guess just have to be more careful so as not to wipe out all the fishes due to unintentional introduced ich.

Main Tank: 5 x 1 x 1

Return from overflow: Eheim compact+ 5000

Lighting: 2x 54W T5

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1350

Chiller: Arctica 1/10

Wave Maker: Tunze Nano Wavebox & Tunze 6055 with Photocell
Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor
Monitor 2: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor

• SRC Member
im sorry to hear that reefzzz.

dun worry, black clowns are alway available and when come in whole numbers, im sure there are unique patterns up for u to grab.

all the best for your next pair.

and hope ur YT is good by now.

add bac for the time being to stablise ur tank more.

regards.

The YT recovered but both the clowns already RIP. Will just let the tank stabilized first before I attempt a new pair a few months later IF I can control for the mean time. haha

• SRC Member

white spot is white spot sis poomoon :P Once your tank has it, it doesn't go away by itself. It resurfaces mostly in fish that are stressed/weak. That's why new fishes are prone to it coz they are stressed.

Usually, healthy fishes shrug it off within 1-2 days, or maybe 1 week. The best way to build resistance in your fish is to keep them healthy and feed them food with spirulina, garlic to boost their immune system. One v. good example is.... you guessed it! Henry's reef gourmet :P

btw bro Reefzzz, like I mentioned before, even if you QT future fishes, your tank still has the parasite because your yellow tang or other fishes are hosting it. Your eyes might not see it, but the parasite is still in your tank. If you really want your tank to be ich free, you have to run it fishless for at least 3-4 weeks for the life cycle of ich to be complete, and die off.

Most fishes I know are able to shrug off white spots. I put new fishes in betta box and once they recognise pellets and are feeding healthily, I let them out. Will have white spots for afew days, but they go away. Key is they are feeding and swimming ard happily. Of course if you are intending to add Tangs aka ich magnets, would be better to qt them n fatten them up before introducing to your tank.

The YT recovered but both the clowns already RIP. Will just let the tank stabilized first before I attempt a new pair a few months later IF I can control for the mean time. haha

Bro no worries we will go chiong LFS next week when u are more free... :eyebrow:

|| Tank: 5x2x2.5 || Sump 3.5x1.5.1.5 || Lights: DeLighting 2x80w Aquable Special T5 ||

|| Return: 2 x ehiem 1264 || Skimmer: Skimz SM251 ||

|| CR: deltec denitrator || ATO with custom make reservior tank||

|| FR: TLF running Rowas ,UV ||

|| Wavemaker: Jebao RE20& RW15|| Chiller: Daikin 1HP Compressor ||

|| Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor ||

• SRC Member
white spot is white spot sis poomoon :P Once your tank has it, it doesn't go away by itself. It resurfaces mostly in fish that are stressed/weak. That's why new fishes are prone to it coz they are stressed.

Usually, healthy fishes shrug it off within 1-2 days, or maybe 1 week. The best way to build resistance in your fish is to keep them healthy and feed them food with spirulina, garlic to boost their immune system. One v. good example is.... you guessed it! Henry's reef gourmet :P

btw bro Reefzzz, like I mentioned before, even if you QT future fishes, your tank still has the parasite because your yellow tang or other fishes are hosting it. Your eyes might not see it, but the parasite is still in your tank. If you really want your tank to be ich free, you have to run it fishless for at least 3-4 weeks for the life cycle of ich to be complete, and die off.

Most fishes I know are able to shrug off white spots. I put new fishes in betta box and once they recognise pellets and are feeding healthily, I let them out. Will have white spots for afew days, but they go away. Key is they are feeding and swimming ard happily. Of course if you are intending to add Tangs aka ich magnets, would be better to qt them n fatten them up before introducing to your tank.

uh oh ... white spots ... are these VERY fine spots, small spots that almost look like very tiny bubbles on the clown's skin ?

haha ... henry's henry's .... already stuck in my mind :eyebrow:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member
uh oh ... white spots ... are these VERY fine spots, small spots that almost look like very tiny bubbles on the clown's skin ?

haha ... henry's henry's .... already stuck in my mind :eyebrow:

A photo would be good to ID. Are your clowns covered in them or just tiny spots here and there? Any other symptoms? Feeding well? Swimming actively or hiding? Any other fish bullying your clowns? Just some questions to help you and help us :) Don't worry too much!

btw bro... LCK has alot of black clowns :P

• SRC Member
A photo would be good to ID. Are your clowns covered in them or just tiny spots here and there? Any other symptoms? Feeding well? Swimming actively or hiding? Any other fish bullying your clowns? Just some questions to help you and help us :) Don't worry too much!

btw bro... LCK has alot of black clowns :P

just last started last night, one of my clowns seems to have these small thingies, and now not feeding, his face suddenly whitish as if seen a ghost. :paiseh: just swimming stand still, facing up, looks somehow weak

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member
just last started last night, one of my clowns seems to have these small thingies, and now not feeding, his face suddenly whitish as if seen a ghost. :paiseh: just swimming stand still, facing up, looks somehow weak

uh oh... does it look like this?

http://www.greenreefing.com/resources/Brooklynella.jpg

Coould be brooklynella. Symptoms:

"Most similar symptomatically to Oodinium, this too is a parasite that primarily attacks the gills first. At the onset fish may scrap up against objects, rapid respiration develops, and fish often gasp for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus. Fish become lethargic, refuse to eat, and colors fade, but the most noticeable difference that sets Brooklynella apart from Oodinium is the heavy amount of slime that is produced. As the disease progresses a thick whitish mucus covers the body, usually starting at the head and spreading outward, skin lesions appear, and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections to arise."

Follow bro Law's advice in this thread.

• SRC Member
if its ick, FW dips wont helps as those buggers burrow below fish mucous preventing from getting affected from the osmolatic shock. however, monitor ur clown, if u see them restless and slimy, very likely its brook aka clownfish disease. it can kill a fish within 8hrs.

bloody scary infection to me. so take note.

just in case for brook, can use formalin which is very effective provided that if u can get a hold on it. if not, use nitrofuran family antibiotics.

all the best.

QT your fish out and treat asap sis poomoon.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/ichparasi...tbrooklynel.htm

• SRC Member
QT your fish out and treat asap sis poomoon.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/ichparasi...tbrooklynel.htm

will do ... noticed fast breathing, the gills moving very rapidly, and also the edges of the gills look "shredded a little" (not sure if that's normal) ... the white spots doesn't look as bad as in the pic you shown, those look already like lessions. though i didn't notice any "slime". thanks thanks bro.

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member
will do ... noticed fast breathing, the gills moving very rapidly, and also the edges of the gills look "shredded a little" (not sure if that's normal) ... the white spots doesn't look as bad as in the pic you shown, those look already like lessions. though i didn't notice any "slime". thanks thanks bro.

just QT'd my old clown ... just right after started laying on it's side :paiseh::unsure::cry:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member
bro law's advice on brook really v. accurate. Hope your other tank inhabitants are ok... should monitor them too.

thanks. so far all healthy looking, active, and feeding normally. will monitor closely. :eyeblur:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member
medicate and hope for the best. *cross fingers*

Hopefully it recover...