Help on getting regal to eat. thanks!

Dear all,

I just bought a yellow belly regal from ah beng yesterday. currently the fish is in the QT and i have since thrown in sea veggies and pellets. But it's seems it's not interested in them. Any advise on how to whet it's appitite? I know regals are fuss feeders and really like this fish and hope it wun die on me.

Currently running a 2 ft cube and bare bottom and LR only. The other 2 fish in the tank were introduced last week. A YT and a bluefaced angel. All 3 fish are approx 4 inches. Not planning to introduce any more.

regsl.jpg

regal1.jpg

regal2.jpg

• SRC Member
Dear all,

I just bought a yellow belly regal from ah beng yesterday. currently the fish is in the QT and i have since thrown in sea veggies and pellets. But it's seems it's not interested in them. Any advise on how to whet it's appitite? I know regals are fuss feeders and really like this fish and hope it wun die on me.

Currently running a 2 ft cube and bare bottom and LR only. The other 2 fish in the tank were introduced last week. A YT and a bluefaced angel. All 3 fish are approx 4 inches. Not planning to introduce any more.

hi is there alot of regal at ahbeng ? any emperor as well? have u been to the other farms at paris ris?

thanks

• SRC Member
there was 1 other regal but got abit of injury. as for emperor, there one large 6 inch specimen but with injury and another smaller half morphing one. good condition.

any idea the chances of half morphing angels turning to adult?

I think alll you can do is to throw in a variety of food and hope for the best.

Better to try to purchase feeding ones in future.

Maybe other bros with regals can advise.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
I think alll you can do is to throw in a variety of food and hope for the best.

Better to try to purchase feeding ones in future.

Maybe other bros with regals can advise.

best that it is the first fish intro to the tank so that other fishes wont snatch his food...

will it be better to release the regal into the tank so it can graze on the LR like what the blueface is doing? Or better to hold it in the QT to get it to feed? I actually released it for 2 to 3 hours just now. though aggression from the YT and blueface was minimal, (maybe they are also new and size sama sama) the regal prefered to hide in corners like beside the wavemaker and started darting it's mouth out of the water ocasionally. Is this normal? I'm surprised it did not hide in the LR, that's y i could easily coax it back into the QT again.

• SRC Member
will it be better to release the regal into the tank so it can graze on the LR like what the blueface is doing? Or better to hold it in the QT to get it to feed? I actually released it for 2 to 3 hours just now. though aggression from the YT and blueface was minimal, (maybe they are also new and size sama sama) the regal prefered to hide in corners like beside the wavemaker and started darting it's mouth out of the water ocasionally. Is this normal? I'm surprised it did not hide in the LR, that's y i could easily coax it back into the QT again.

not very normal is it stays on the water surface for long..need some time to observe..i put my regal for 2 days in QT still not eating..then i release him to the tank worst other fishes snatch the food too fast...

any idea the chances of half morphing angels turning to adult?

according to ah beng's worker, din get his name, it should in time. and it's going for $10 lower than the final patterned versions. The paticular specimen is rather active. worth considering. If you were there last thur/fri, there was like 4 to 5 pcs of nicely patterned ones. but after the weekend, all gone liao

according to ah beng's worker, din get his name, it should in time. and it's going for $10 lower than the final patterned versions. The paticular specimen is rather active. worth considering. If you were there last thur/fri, there was like 4 to 5 pcs of nicely patterned ones. but after the weekend, all gone liao

I had an emperor that went the full cycle from juvenile to adult. those are on the change should be able to morph as well I guess. dun see why not.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

newly arrived regals are finicky eaters.

best if you don't buy them on impulse but observe them feeding them at the LFS first before flashing the notes.

if all processed food fails, your best option would be to use fresh clams, market prawns and lala. Angels and butterfly fishes simply loves them. I have no trouble getting most to start feeding.

You can try what i did, used plastic mesh (See pic) to house the angel and just patiently feed brine, mysis and pellets. It will take some time, not instant and if the regal sees other fishes eat it will eat too.

Dear all,

regsl.jpg

regal1.jpg

regal2.jpg

Saw this regal at ah beng on monday and almost bought it. Beautiful specimen!

• SRC Member
Saw this regal at ah beng on monday and almost bought it. Beautiful specimen!

Yes, I saw this too!! If i do not have an existing, I would have bought it.

The colour is very vibrant! Good catch. I was still wondering if this is a red sea specimen :)

Try using Seachem entice to soak the food. U can buy this at seaview aquarium.

Try brine shrimp or Angel formula too...

Best Regards,

Morpheous

==========================================================================================

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

==========================================================================================

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)