Shengyuan's Mantis Tank

shengyuan

I'm starting up a new tank in addition to my 3 footer.

It's a 2 foot tank dedicated to one peacock mantis shrimp.

So far I only have the tank, bought from a friendly reefer.

IMG_1065.jpg

Here's my mantis, currently quarantined by itself in my 3 foot until I can get the 2 footer up and running.

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

Still looking for a blue/white 2 foot light (the one in the picture is purple), skimmer, pump, wave maker, sand, LR, salt etc.

Will keep updating.

:upsidedown:

It has been sometime that I have seen anyone kept a dedicated mantis tank... Looking forward to it..

Make sure your tank glass thickness is thick enough to withstand the mantis..

She's quite small, only around 5 cm so she shouldn't post a threat to the tank for the moment.

Thanks for your support :)

cool. i read that mantis shrimp hit with such force and velocity that it it will a create a spark of light and bubble due to boiling of the water when it strikes a target. can search on youtube for the video.

Hehe yeah I saw that one too.. Damn cool!

Any comments/advice/help welcome too :thanks:

• Senior Reefer

they don't randomly break your glass for no reason. in fact, it is very very rare for the mantis to actually break your tank glass. it can happen, but not every mantis will do that, and chances are, it probably won't/can't. common misconception. still, a brilliant animal.....

• SRC Member
I'm starting up a new tank in addition to my 3 footer.

It's a 2 foot tank dedicated to one peacock mantis shrimp.

So far I only have the tank, bought from a friendly reefer.

IMG_1065.jpg

Here's my mantis, currently quarantined by itself in my 3 foot until I can get the 2 footer up and running.

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

Still looking for a blue/white 2 foot light (the one in the picture is purple), skimmer, pump, wave maker, sand, LR, salt etc.

Will keep updating.

:upsidedown:

Bro, ur mantis do look very mean.. haha but nevertheless an interesting creature to keep

Main Tank: 5 x 1 x 1

Return from overflow: Eheim compact+ 5000

Lighting: 2x 54W T5

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1350

Chiller: Arctica 1/10

Wave Maker: Tunze Nano Wavebox & Tunze 6055 with Photocell
Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor
Monitor 2: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor

wow it would be cool if you manage to catch it in action. Like take a video of it and slow it by X number of times.

great looking closeup of the mantis. Just don't put it in your room or you might be woken up by it's snapping noise!

lol comycus in that video it was filmed at 5000 frames per second. and played back at 15 frames per second. imagine how fast was that.

Hooked since March 2009

She's quite small, only around 5 cm so she shouldn't post a threat to the tank for the moment.

Thanks for your support :)

Yup... Should be okay at the moment but as it grow you need to take note of your tank if you are giving it live food...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

they don't randomly break your glass for no reason. in fact, it is very very rare for the mantis to actually break your tank glass. it can happen, but not every mantis will do that, and chances are, it probably won't/can't. common misconception. still, a brilliant animal.....

There are actually some chances when it is snapping at the prey... They are know to be able to break glass and snapping off human finger, depending on the size...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer
There are actually some chances when it is snapping at the prey... They are know to be able to break glass and snapping off human finger, depending on the size...

im super sure those huge huge ones are more than capable of doing so haha! :upsidedown: this 1 think still relatively safe hehe. love the green one. v cute

• Senior Reefer
Hoho... lets see some vids on this ferocious shrimp! I think we could all contribute nuisance crabs from our tanks as live food! :evil:

evil streak coming out!! i love it! i wanna donate mine too!

Hoho... lets see some vids on this ferocious shrimp! I think we could all contribute nuisance crabs from our tanks as live food! :evil:

Hahaha actually I was wondering where to find live food for this fellow. Feeding her camel shrimps at $3 each would be painful for my wallet and it'd be such a waste of a pretty camel shrimp.. :pinch:

Will be posting videos when the tank is set up for sure :eyebrow:

• 2 weeks later...
my previous tank is now used to house a mantis shrimp!

cool! :upsidedown:

Wah last night was hell.. Mantis shrimp escaped from the betta box into the main tank. Stayed up for hours clearing all the rocks to catch it back out. Lucky none of my other live stock were harmed, especially the decorator crab it was interested in. :pinch:

Took the opportunity to do a complete rescape! :D

You mean you plan to keep it with other livestock? Depending on what you keep with it, it might just turn into a species tank again. :P

Any updated photos on this beauty?

Nah I plan to keep it in a 2 foot species tank that I am in the process of setting up, it's temporarily in a betta box in my 3 foot. Pictures asap ^_^

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

wow...fierce looking... B)

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.