zorden

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

i called chill down and they only use 1hp for the marine tank but good news. :)

can link marine tank to room but they don advise if the compressor is down, means room and marine tank will be "hot"

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member
they have 1/2hp units that are all compressor units la bro... can put outside your house...

Well i don want any items in the house. will gonna death sentence from parents de. well prefer to hide it and the aircon latch. :)

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member
Well i don want any items in the house. will gonna death sentence from parents de. well prefer to hide it and the aircon latch. :)

hehe okok my bad... hmm anyway to link chiller to outside your window so the heat goes out? I still think its overkill for a ~120G total gallonage system.

Save electricity! not to mention save the bills!

• SRC Member

Actually i need to reallty think and think. maybe get the cabinet first then see if got space or not. if got space then add one small artica chiller and problem solved. If not then die die must get a compressor or the final option. :)

Use the tank to keep hedgehogs. :)

• SRC Member
Actually i need to reallty think and think. maybe get the cabinet first then see if got space or not. if got space then add one small artica chiller and problem solved. If not then die die must get a compressor or the final option. :)

lol hedge hogs!

anyway bro, the easiest for u is to draw everything out, see if you have the space. Chiller in cabinet needs to be well ventilated, can install fan like Jacky to help. No need to think so much la, otherwise xmas come n go still no tank.

If you are really undecided, why not get one of the reputable LFS to build for you?

• SRC Member
i love the idea of planning my tank. :)

In other words you have no time frame as to when you wanna build it? Hope you don't mind me giving this advice...

Don't fall into the trap of planning for the perfect tank. Might end up always chasing after the best and newest technology/equipment/way of thinking, then end up no tank at all coz its a neverending cycle.

Or by the time you get down to building the tank, some other factor comes in like kena posted overseas, or wife don't allow (when you have settled down) etc. I suppose the good part out of this is you prob save some sweat and money :P

Best is to keep it simple, have the basic idea, talk to tankmaker on design, do up all the fail safe, you're good to go. I love planning too! but I prefer looking at my fishes swimming and corals swaying :lol:

things to consider.

You are putting this tank inside your bedroom.

It is quiet but inevitably you will hear humming noise from the chiller and prob from your skimmer too.

Sometimes, you might also hear humming sound resonated from the cabinet with the door closed.

If you are a light sleeper, maybe you would like to ponder about that.

If you sleep like a dead dog, then ignore the above.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
In other words you have no time frame as to when you wanna build it? Hope you don't mind me giving this advice...

Don't fall into the trap of planning for the perfect tank. Might end up always chasing after the best and newest technology/equipment/way of thinking, then end up no tank at all coz its a neverending cycle.

Or by the time you get down to building the tank, some other factor comes in like kena posted overseas, or wife don't allow (when you have settled down) etc. I suppose the good part out of this is you prob save some sweat and money :P

Best is to keep it simple, have the basic idea, talk to tankmaker on design, do up all the fail safe, you're good to go. I love planning too! but I prefer looking at my fishes swimming and corals swaying :lol:

Thanks. Well for me the perfect tank is simply the OCEAN. well i just want to mitigate over certain issues. :)

• SRC Member
things to consider.

You are putting this tank inside your bedroom.

It is quiet but inevitably you will hear humming noise from the chiller and prob from your skimmer too.

Sometimes, you might also hear humming sound resonated from the cabinet with the door closed.

If you are a light sleeper, maybe you would like to ponder about that.

If you sleep like a dead dog, then ignore the above.

i stay in the noisy environment so the noise isnt much issue. :)

i stay in the noisy environment so the noise isnt much issue. :)

so fortunate. I am noise sensitive..... :(

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

i love the idea of planning my tank. :)

I suggest you draw up a detailed plan and decide how you want the cabinet to be. After that then decide whether you want the chiller to be inside or outside.

And talking about using your air con as the chiller, you will be surprised actually that not all air-conditioned compressors are able to be utilise or split into aquarium and household usage. This information was told to me by a Daikin technician but I have forgotten which unit of Daikin's compressors is unable to do so; forgotten if it's Inverter or the normal one (: So word of advice is to check out your air con first before making the next step (:

Just to share; for myself, I am using a 1/3 horsepower chiller for my 3footer. Crazy as it sounds but it gives me some kind of assurance that if my lights are hot, at least my tank is surviving. And of course, a temperature controller is a must in case the chiller fails and all starts to fall apart because of that. But if nothing fails and with taking all your equipments into account, a good sized chiller is a worthwhile investment. In short, I 'kia si'! haha :P

Also, I think in the air-con industry, you can still find 1/2, 3/4 and perhaps 1/3 hp Japanese or Korean air-con compressors in the market for you to DIY into an aquarium chiller (info fed by the same Daikin technician). I guess you must know where to look. Industrial estates are great starting points. Similarly, getting such chillers from the market directly the price is definitely cheaper than a 1hp artica or from other sources who may be a middle man for the job. So I suggest bro that you take some time to travel around and look see look see. I know somewhere near Bukit Batok there's such a shop. If you stay in the west, you can let me know and I can tell you where the place. Offhand, I suddenly cannot remember the building's name :X (really getting old :S)

Finally, starting a new tank is great! exciting and fun but do take alot of time into the planning. It may not end up as something perfect, but hopefully it lives up to your expectation.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member

i stay near the harbour. hdb lah Well i discuss the issue with mum. With some grumbles as usual, she said a 3x3x3 will be good. LOL.. that madness.

that like my OLD tank. my old tank is somewhere 3ft ht and its definitely no joke to aquascape. Yes. i need a googles to die into the tank and aquascape the coral. its not a good design to have such a tank tank.

then she say why not 3x3x1.5 i was.... ei....

well she said its no biggie as i kept 12 (mixture of 3ft and 2 ft) tanks before. Well i convert my balcony into discus hatchery and bred discus as a hobby. :)

i stay near the harbour. hdb lah Well i discuss the issue with mum. With some grumbles as usual, she said a 3x3x3 will be good. LOL.. that madness.

that like my OLD tank. my old tank is somewhere 3ft ht and its definitely no joke to aquascape. Yes. i need a googles to die into the tank and aquascape the coral. its not a good design to have such a tank tank.

then she say why not 3x3x1.5 i was.... ei....

well she said its no biggie as i kept 12 (mixture of 3ft and 2 ft) tanks before. Well i convert my balcony into discus hatchery and bred discus as a hobby. :)

SWEET!

Go for 3x3x1.5 then! :D

Damnit. How I wish my mum is like yours! :S

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.