Tank Prob

sikiee

hi guys, i have a BOYU MT-30 tank (http://www.boyu.us/eng/aquarium-kit/MT_30.htm), with in built fan cooling system and 18W daylight power compact lights. however i have a temperature prob despite the fan cooling system (2 small fans that blows into the enclosed lighting system). it's about 32 degrees!!! it seems like the fan system for the lights is not doing any good. any suggestions wad i could do??

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member
hi guys, i have a BOYU MT-30 tank (http://www.boyu.us/eng/aquarium-kit/MT_30.htm), with in built fan cooling system and 18W daylight power compact lights. however i have a temperature prob despite the fan cooling system (2 small fans that blows into the enclosed lighting system). it's about 32 degrees!!! it seems like the fan system for the lights is not doing any good. any suggestions wad i could do??

shouldn't be that the fans are 'drawing out' the heat from the lights and blowing it outside ?

- Chiller - cost, but most effective

- Evaporative cooling (fans blowing on the surface of the water) - need daily water top-up, humidity

btw, with the lights off, what's the temperature ?

25 Gal Micro Ocean

shouldn't be that the fans are 'drawing out' the heat from the lights and blowing it outside ?

- Evaporative cooling (fans blowing on the surface of the water) - need daily water top-up, humidity

yupyup it draws out the heat from the lights and blow it outside, sry. but doesn't seem to be working well!

• SRC Member

Get additional or more powerful fans.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member

IMHO.. the fans that comes with these nanos are totally incapable of maintaining decent temperature.. the idea of the fans are to purely reduce the heat trapped in the canopy.. nonetheless I believe that the fans is only able to help reduce the heat by a maximum of 70%..

do note that the pumps and wavemakers in the tank do add on to the temperature as well...

just my 2 cents.. =]

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

Hmmm .... yours is the enclosed tank type.

Personally I do not favour this type of tank as heat gets trapped inside.

you can try lifting the lid and see if that helps. (May use another fan to blow at the water surface.)

Create more turbulence at the water surface too. might help.

Other alternatives:

1: Fans

Dun think you can add fan unless if you remove the top and get another set of light. Temp should go down to about 28 - 30.

2: Chiller

not sure if you want to invest in a chiller. The 2nd hand resun ones are not so expensive. sometimes $100 - $150 in pasar malam.

If you every get one, I can pass you the u bars. I have a spare set with me.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

btw Henry just taught me a short term trick to cool down tank temperature.

Use air pump to aerate your water :) Apparantly the bubbling will cool the tank quite substantially, ard 2-3 degrees even! Of course tt's for small tanks, prob under 30 gallons, and should be a short term solution as salt spray will occur, and you don't really want alot of bubbbles in the main tank. Of course can bubble in the sump/back of your tank, but I think might have some leak back into the main tank.

Gonna use this neat tip when I'm cycling my new rocks this weekend :)

Use air pump to aerate your water :) Apparantly the bubbling will cool the tank quite substantially, ard 2-3 degrees even! Of course tt's for small tanks, prob under 30 gallons, and should be a short term solution as salt spray will occur, and you don't really want alot of bubbbles in the main tank. Of course can bubble in the sump/back of your tank, but I think might have some leak back into the main tank.

lol SL advised me to do that in the past.... yup a lot of salt spray.

the other point to note is that as the air inside the canopy is warm already, it might not be that effective in an enclose tank. I dunno for sure. Just a thought.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member
lol SL advised me to do that in the past.... yup a lot of salt spray.

the other point to note is that as the air inside the canopy is warm already, it might not be that effective in an enclose tank. I dunno for sure. Just a thought.

Maybe can try to do up a sump in future. Allow water to run through an enclosed container and run like 10 air pumps in there with thermostat attached to control the number of pumps to run. heh what do you think? any diy-ers wanna try? Can ask Sherman :)

Maybe can try to do up a sump in future. Allow water to run through an enclosed container and run like 10 air pumps in there with thermostat attached to control the number of pumps to run. heh what do you think? any diy-ers wanna try? Can ask Sherman :)

kekeke... might as well get a resun chiller then....

oh, with lights off the temp is ard 28.5deg.

u have a point there! i'll go home check tonight.

I think it is very possible that it is 32 deg cel.

Hmmm .... yours is the enclosed tank type.

Personally I do not favour this type of tank as heat gets trapped inside.

you can try lifting the lid and see if that helps. (May use another fan to blow at the water surface.)

Create more turbulence at the water surface too. might help.

Other alternatives:

1: Fans

Dun think you can add fan unless if you remove the top and get another set of light. Temp should go down to about 28 - 30.

2: Chiller

not sure if you want to invest in a chiller. The 2nd hand resun ones are not so expensive. sometimes $100 - $150 in pasar malam.

If you every get one, I can pass you the u bars. I have a spare set with me.

its better when i lift up the lid but if with the lights on, the lights are very glaring!

but if use fans evaporation will be quite high. yet i'm trying to avoid chiller as much as i can cos of the cost. arghss. thanks anw(:

oh oh getting a lil too chim for me. lol.

ok i got a susgetion for this after reading up the in put here i'm in the automotive trade do you all know that our car aircon coil is runing on aluminum coil if aluminum doesn't cause harm to our salt water we can use it as some sort of cooling system all u need is a fan a pump and an A/C coil

• SRC Member
ok i got a susgetion for this after reading up the in put here i'm in the automotive trade do you all know that our car aircon coil is runing on aluminum coil if aluminum doesn't cause harm to our salt water we can use it as some sort of cooling system all u need is a fan a pump and an A/C coil

Aluminum will corrode easily.

• SRC Member

true. i have one similar tank, and before i have my temp at 29-30 deg. had 2 pumps inside for filter and flow. no fans. so added an air pump to aerate, then did a DIY to raise the cover and have it like 'open concept' raising it about 1 inch. now temp is normally at 27-28 deg, and with aircon running it drops to about 26 deg. just my 2 cents. now planning to do a slightly DIY LED :rolleyes: to help lower the temp more. without the lights can go 24-25 for me.

25 Gal Micro Ocean

true. i have one similar tank, and before i have my temp at 29-30 deg. had 2 pumps inside for filter and flow. no fans. so added an air pump to aerate, then did a DIY to raise the cover and have it like 'open concept' raising it about 1 inch. now temp is normally at 27-28 deg, and with aircon running it drops to about 26 deg. just my 2 cents. now planning to do a slightly DIY LED :rolleyes: to help lower the temp more. without the lights can go 24-25 for me.

Hey Sis poomoon

how's your new tank coming up?

• SRC Member
Hey Sis poomoon

how's your new tank coming up?

hey jacky. umm, my BF still checking it out. since i wanted a bigger tank NOW :rolleyes: and it's still in my room, he said maybe we can set-up a 1.5 cube like yours first. so now he's quoting for a crystal glass something. dunno if he ordered already. will keep you posted :eyebrow:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

hey jacky. umm, my BF still checking it out. since i wanted a bigger tank NOW :rolleyes: and it's still in my room, he said maybe we can set-up a 1.5 cube like yours first. so now he's quoting for a crystal glass something. dunno if he ordered already. will keep you posted :eyebrow:

woohooo nice! then we can share tips. hehe. exciting stuff. definitely must keep us posted.

Sorry for hijacking your thread sikiee.

• SRC Member
woohooo nice! then we can share tips. hehe. exciting stuff. definitely must keep us posted.

Sorry for hijacking your thread sikiee.

haha yeah thanks. sorry also sikiee.

we're trying to get the tank in coz we'll be out on holiday for 2 weeks early december, so just nice to have the tank cycling already he said with NSW and some live sand and cured rocks or something :rolleyes:

25 Gal Micro Ocean