My LPS identification

baudhya

• SRC Member

Lobophyllia

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Lobophyllia

Thanks for helping me. However there is one small question. This coral expels some kind of a white mass every evening from the base of its skeleton and retracts them every morning. The coral is doing fine and extending as usual. What could that be. Is he dying?? What should I do to stop this behaviour or should I just let it be.

• SRC Member

Perhaps they are the feeding tentacles, sweeper tentacles or mesenterial filaments. If the coral does this regularly and is properly inflated during the day, then the behaviour should be normal.

A picture of the coral with the 'white mass' will help clarify things.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)