Setting up a marine Tank for the first time

Hi Guys,

my first post...

Anyway, i have been tossing and turning between setting up a marine tank or to continue with my fresh water tank.

Coming to this site helps a lot! And after browsing Jacky's 72 page journal on his nano tank, i have decided that i should go the Marine way.

Anyway, the intention is to start a 2 x 1 X 1.5 or 2.5 X 1 X 1.5 tank.

My preference is to not have a chiller, until the poison bites deep enough, then i might go grab one.

Meanwhile, can you guys help me in a few things...

1) for a tank size like this, what kind of skimmer do i need? i need recommendation on the model. Sorry, need help because i can't seem to find any information on cycle rate needed.

2) I'll start with a FOWLR tank, and eventually i would want to introduce some form of coral in it. So what kind of fish can i start with and what kind of Coral really should i be looking at given that i don't wish to have a chiller.

3) I would like to have some LED lights as well. Any feedback on the Chinese made LED?

4) Skimmer, Wave Maker, What other equipment do i need? i have an existing cannister with 2 KG of Biohomes, can i continue to use them?

So many questions... if you ahve time, do recommend me something.. so that i can start my shopping, and cycle the tank for a month before i go crazy on the LS....

Thanks!

pweesng

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have not bought the tank your options would be more open. Try to avoid buying the tank first and finding equipments that will fit the tank. I would suggest you incorporate a sump if possible.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Coming to this site helps a lot! And after browsing Jacky's 72 page journal on his nano tank, i have decided that i should go the Marine way.

My preference is to not have a chiller, until the poison bites deep enough, then i might go grab one.

2)

3)

4)

So many questions... if you ahve time, do recommend me something.. so that i can start my shopping, and cycle the tank for a month before i go crazy on the LS....

Thanks!

pweesng

Since my name kena mentioned already, die die must answer something :P

** Anyway, the intention is to start a 2 x 1 X 1.5 or 2.5 X 1 X 1.5 tank.

I suppose you know the larger the volume of water, the more stable is the water parameters.

As Fuel say, get a sump if possible.

It would be easy to get a light fitting for 2 feet. PL, T5 and most lighting comes in 2, 3, 4 feet.

Try to get a deeper width if possible. easier to scape and look more 3 dimensional. maybe 1.5 ft width?

** for a tank size like this, what kind of skimmer do i need? i need recommendation on the model. Sorry, need help because i can't seem to find any information on cycle rate needed.

You can use the red sea prizm skimmer (buy 2nd hand about $50. Not worth getting new one) or you can go for the Tunze 9002 if your budget allows.

** I'll start with a FOWLR tank, and eventually i would want to introduce some form of coral in it. So what kind of fish can i start with and what kind of Coral really should i be looking at given that i don't wish to have a chiller.

Fish - http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquariu...s.cfm?c=15+2124

you can get these nano fishes. Prob 2 - 3 in your tank will be good.

corals - just go for mushrooms, zoas to begin with. They are easy. You will need maintain your tank at <30 deg cel. Without a fan, then prob you will need to get a fan.

** I would like to have some LED lights as well. Any feedback on the Chinese made LED?

There are many types of Chinese made LED. which one are you referring to? Mine is Chinese made as well.

** Skimmer, Wave Maker, What other equipment do i need? i have an existing cannister with 2 KG of Biohomes, can i continue to use them?

With the skimmer + your existing cannister, your should have sufficient flow for a FOWL.

Your biohomes was used before or still new?

I am sure Peter, Comy and the rest of the reefers will chime in later.

Welcome to SRC!

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

Hi Guys,

my first post...

Anyway, i have been tossing and turning between setting up a marine tank or to continue with my fresh water tank.

Get a 2x1.5x1.5 instead. 1ft width is really too narrow already and you will find some problems in scaping your tank.

If you do not use a chiller, then get the cheap fans for your tank. You can get at any LFS or if you are in the west, you can get from Clementi Blk 328. They have a few models there. Cheap and will maintain your tank temperature ard 28 degC.

1) for a tank size like this, what kind of skimmer do i need? i need recommendation on the model. Sorry, need help because i can't seem to find any information on cycle rate needed.

Depends on your stocking level. Red Sea Prizm will be sufficient in most cases unless you want to keep tangs in which case, if you have the budget, you may want to consider the Deltec MCE600.

2) I'll start with a FOWLR tank, and eventually i would want to introduce some form of coral in it. So what kind of fish can i start with and what kind of Coral really should i be looking at given that i don't wish to have a chiller.

If you want corals, then you can forget about Angels. Especially if you want pratas, brains etc. If you want corals that can survive without a chiller, then you have to know what temp your tank is normally at. Most Indo corals should be fine if your temperature is maintained at around 28 degC.

3) I would like to have some LED lights as well. Any feedback on the Chinese made LED?

No comment as I do not use LED.

4) Skimmer, Wave Maker, What other equipment do i need? i have an existing cannister with 2 KG of Biohomes, can i continue to use them?

Basically, skimmer, wavemaker and cannister filter are all you need at this point. Shouldn't be an issue to use your existing biohome.

Thanks!

pweesng

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

Since my name kena mentioned already, die die must answer something :P

** Anyway, the intention is to start a 2 x 1 X 1.5 or 2.5 X 1 X 1.5 tank.

I suppose you know the larger the volume of water, the more stable is the water parameters.

As Fuel say, get a sump if possible.

It would be easy to get a light fitting for 2 feet. PL, T5 and most lighting comes in 2, 3, 4 feet.

Try to get a deeper width if possible. easier to scape and look more 3 dimensional. maybe 1.5 ft width?

** for a tank size like this, what kind of skimmer do i need? i need recommendation on the model. Sorry, need help because i can't seem to find any information on cycle rate needed.

You can use the red sea prizm skimmer (buy 2nd hand about $50. Not worth getting new one) or you can go for the Tunze 9002 if your budget allows.

** I'll start with a FOWLR tank, and eventually i would want to introduce some form of coral in it. So what kind of fish can i start with and what kind of Coral really should i be looking at given that i don't wish to have a chiller.

Fish - http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquariu...s.cfm?c=15+2124

you can get these nano fishes. Prob 2 - 3 in your tank will be good.

corals - just go for mushrooms, zoas to begin with. They are easy. You will need maintain your tank at <30 deg cel. Without a fan, then prob you will need to get a fan.

** I would like to have some LED lights as well. Any feedback on the Chinese made LED?

There are many types of Chinese made LED. which one are you referring to? Mine is Chinese made as well.

** Skimmer, Wave Maker, What other equipment do i need? i have an existing cannister with 2 KG of Biohomes, can i continue to use them?

With the skimmer + your existing cannister, your should have sufficient flow for a FOWL.

Your biohomes was used before or still new?

I am sure Peter, Comy and the rest of the reefers will chime in later.

Welcome to SRC!

Hey Jacky, thanks for the quick response.. i saw your tank... and then show my wife your tank yesterday and she was really impressed. It actually looks nicer than the ELOS one... seriously...

Well, i have a space constrain, the width wise, the best i can do is 40cm unfortunately.

As for the lights, do i really need the light to fit the whole length of the tank? i was thinking of getting something like yours and clip it in the middle.

As for the temperature of the water, i was hoping to even do without a fan. if it is insane to have any coral under such conditions, please tell me, so that i can drop the idea early and set it up as a FOWLR tank.

I was also hoping for a few more fishes tan 2 to 3 :eyebrow: i actually prefer to have more movement in the tank a school of 15 to 20 fishes would be nice. Again, please help me with the sanity advise.

As for skimmer, the one that you are using tunze reef pack 200. will it work for the setup that i am thinking? it is rather need. I don't have space for a sump unfortunately. The reason being the cabinet that i am thinking of making will probably be only 1.5 feet tall. I like my tank to be at the eye level when sitting down.

The Biohomes in my cannister is used, but i decomm my freshwater tank a month ago, washed them with tap water, so i guess they are and should be treated as new. With the Skimmer and Cannister, i don't have to have a wave maker? that would be great, given that less equipment in the water means less heat, and also one less plug. Not to mention the money.

Keep those advice coming! greatly appreciated!

If you have not bought the tank your options would be more open. Try to avoid buying the tank first and finding equipments that will fit the tank. I would suggest you incorporate a sump if possible.

Hi Fuel,

unfortunately, a sump is not possible. Given that the cabinet is only going to be 1.5 feet tall, i don't think i can set up a decent sump with that kind of dimension...

Thanks for the suggestion though

• SRC Member
Hey Jacky, thanks for the quick response.. i saw your tank... and then show my wife your tank yesterday and she was really impressed. It actually looks nicer than the ELOS one... seriously...

Well, i have a space constrain, the width wise, the best i can do is 40cm unfortunately.

As for the lights, do i really need the light to fit the whole length of the tank? i was thinking of getting something like yours and clip it in the middle.

As for the temperature of the water, i was hoping to even do without a fan. if it is insane to have any coral under such conditions, please tell me, so that i can drop the idea early and set it up as a FOWLR tank.

I was also hoping for a few more fishes tan 2 to 3 :eyebrow: i actually prefer to have more movement in the tank a school of 15 to 20 fishes would be nice. Again, please help me with the sanity advise.

As for skimmer, the one that you are using tunze reef pack 200. will it work for the setup that i am thinking? it is rather need. I don't have space for a sump unfortunately. The reason being the cabinet that i am thinking of making will probably be only 1.5 feet tall. I like my tank to be at the eye level when sitting down.

The Biohomes in my cannister is used, but i decomm my freshwater tank a month ago, washed them with tap water, so i guess they are and should be treated as new. With the Skimmer and Cannister, i don't have to have a wave maker? that would be great, given that less equipment in the water means less heat, and also one less plug. Not to mention the money.

Keep those advice coming! greatly appreciated!

ok...

1) how much is your budget actually?

2) If you want 15-20 fishes in ur 2x1x1.5 ft tank, then u have to get the really small fishes. Marine life at Hong Leong Gardens has quite a number of minature fishes. But even with those fishes, 15-20 is really overcrowding your tank already.

3) If you do not want to use a fan, you could probably start by trying mushrooms and zoas. These are the two more hardy corals and if they cannot survive in your tank, then it would be best not to get any other corals.

4) For a 2x1x1.5 ft tank, it would be best if you have a wavemaker but if you are just keeping fishes, then u might not need one. What is the flow rate of your cannister? Be sure to check the head max and flow rate specifications.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Hi Guys,

Get a 2x1.5x1.5 instead. 1ft width is really too narrow already and you will find some problems in scaping your tank.

If you do not use a chiller, then get the cheap fans for your tank. You can get at any LFS or if you are in the west, you can get from Clementi Blk 328. They have a few models there. Cheap and will maintain your tank temperature ard 28 degC.

Depends on your stocking level. Red Sea Prizm will be sufficient in most cases unless you want to keep tangs in which case, if you have the budget, you may want to consider the Deltec MCE600.

If you want corals, then you can forget about Angels. Especially if you want pratas, brains etc. If you want corals that can survive without a chiller, then you have to know what temp your tank is normally at. Most Indo corals should be fine if your temperature is maintained at around 28 degC.

Thanks Peter, As usual, appreciate your response.

1) I guess 40cm or about 1.3 feet is probably the widest i can go for. It woudl be something i have to live with.

2) Can i do without Chiller or Fan? The reason is Chiller will increase my electricity bill noticeably and fan will increase the noise noticeably. I need to lie low, to avoid my wife realising that there is a new tank at home. :eyeblur:

3) if without chiller or fan, I cannot keep the water to 28 degrees, would room temperature be bad for the fishes? I would like to have them in my living room, but i don't want them to have to die for me. If need be, i'll stick to FOWLR and be contented.

Sorry for really dumb questions.. i kept FW tank for many years, but marine tank, this is going to be my first venture... and it cannot fail, otherwise, my wife will notice the new tank at home.

Ha ha

cheers,

• SRC Member

Thanks Peter, As usual, appreciate your response.

1) I guess 40cm or about 1.3 feet is probably the widest i can go for. It woudl be something i have to live with.

2) Can i do without Chiller or Fan? The reason is Chiller will increase my electricity bill noticeably and fan will increase the noise noticeably. I need to lie low, to avoid my wife realising that there is a new tank at home. :eyeblur:

You can do without chiller and fan but you will probably be quite restricted in your choice of corals. As mentioned, you can try with zoas and mushrooms first. Previously for my 2ft tank when I was running it without a chiller, I kept brains, pratas, acans, zoas and mushrooms without any issues.

3) if without chiller or fan, I cannot keep the water to 28 degrees, would room temperature be bad for the fishes? I would like to have them in my living room, but i don't want them to have to die for me. If need be, i'll stick to FOWLR and be contented.

Fishes can survive in room temp water but will be stressed. Again depends on what type of fishes. Clowns or nemos will probably do fine as will gobies. To reduce the temp of the water, you can freeze a bottle of water and dump it in your tank.

Sorry for really dumb questions.. i kept FW tank for many years, but marine tank, this is going to be my first venture... and it cannot fail, otherwise, my wife will notice the new tank at home.

Ha ha

cheers,

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

ok...

1) how much is your budget actually?

2) If you want 15-20 fishes in ur 2x1x1.5 ft tank, then u have to get the really small fishes. Marine life at Hong Leong Gardens has quite a number of minature fishes. But even with those fishes, 15-20 is really overcrowding your tank already.

3) If you do not want to use a fan, you could probably start by trying mushrooms and zoas. These are the two more hardy corals and if they cannot survive in your tank, then it would be best not to get any other corals.

4) For a 2x1x1.5 ft tank, it would be best if you have a wavemaker but if you are just keeping fishes, then u might not need one. What is the flow rate of your cannister? Be sure to check the head max and flow rate specifications.

Hi Peter,

1) hmmm... i hope my wife is not reading this forum... coz i told her it won't cost more than $200. But i think i am prepared to spend $1k on the setup i guess. Maybe $400 on Tank and Cabinet, and then $600 on Lights, Skimmer etc..etc... AS for the budget for the stocks, I guess they can be pretty cheap. At most another $200, given that with a inferior setup, i am not willing to risk big money and "boil" these fishes and coral to death.

2) how about 10 fishes? does it still sound insane? would prefer a mixture of small and mid size fishes...

3) Mushroom and Zoas. Got it...

4) the flow rate for the cannister is 1000l/ hour. but as with any chinese made stuff.. the spec sometimes bo pa kay one. especially if it is loaded with biohomes and wool. With the skimmer, do i still need wool in my cannister?

Cheers,

So flattering. :paiseh: thank you very much.

No the light dun have to fit the whole tank. just note that at the edge of the tank, it will look dimmer thats all.

mine has an even spread across the whole tank.

Ideally it is better for fishes to be at max 30 -31 deg cel. Fishes might feel stressed in anything higher I think. So I would suggest you start cycling without the fan and see how high the temp goes. I have seen nice clip on fans that will not look out of place. Get one if you need. For the sake of the fishes even without corals, please try to keep <30 deg cel. They might survive, but you dunno whether you are stressing them.

I would like to achieve 15 lol. Pressing the "insane" button on this one... haha.

Fishes need space. if you get the small gobies and fishes, you can hit 5 maybe.

really dependent o the type of fishes you get. skip damsels especially. They are gangsters. Schooling is not possible in our nanos.

Go take a look a ML elos tank. Henry has about 6 yellow clown goby inside i think.

Dun get the reef pack. Just get the Tunze 9002 and use your cannister. It will be an overkill for your system already. The prizm skimmer is not that effective. So for the long run, 9002 will be more worth your dollars. But do note that it is very sensitive to water level. So you need to top up water everyday. Also I have not resolve the microbubbles issues with the 9002. Not sure if other 9002 users are facing the same problem.

1.5 ft tall = TV console height. I was looking at making one at this height too but gave up cause I need to house my chiller.

Never use biohomes so I dun know. Depending on your rockscape, I think you might be able to skip the wavemaker. Also place your cannister return nearer to the surface of the water to create more surface agitation. This will provide better exchange of gases = more oxygen. If needed, you can always add the wavemaker later.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member

Hi Peter,

1) hmmm... i hope my wife is not reading this forum... coz i told her it won't cost more than $200. But i think i am prepared to spend $1k on the setup i guess. Maybe $400 on Tank and Cabinet, and then $600 on Lights, Skimmer etc..etc... AS for the budget for the stocks, I guess they can be pretty cheap. At most another $200, given that with a inferior setup, i am not willing to risk big money and "boil" these fishes and coral to death.

2) how about 10 fishes? does it still sound insane? would prefer a mixture of small and mid size fishes...

I would say unless you get the really small fishes that you see at marine Life, you can forget about keeping 10 normal size fishes in your tank. Don't learn from me. I got many big fishes in my 2x1x1 tank... :upsidedown:

3) Mushroom and Zoas. Got it...

4) the flow rate for the cannister is 1000l/ hour. but as with any chinese made stuff.. the spec sometimes bo pa kay one. especially if it is loaded with biohomes and wool. With the skimmer, do i still need wool in my cannister?

Yes, you will still need filter wool to trap the detritus from your tank water. And in your cannister you should put carbon and phosphate removing media.

Cheers,

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

$1k budget is quite a lot.

plan properly and you can have a wonderful setup.

Thanks Peter and Jacky,

For entertaining a newbie like me, even though its holiday time :)

Ok, I gathered that for Marine tank, the stock level has to be much lower than a FW tank. Coz for "nano fishes" a 2 feet can easily stock up 20 fishes and still be okay. Got it... will think about reducing to 5... or maybe 8 :upsidedown:

I also need to think about how the tank will look with only LR and 5 to 8 fishes. May not look that great huh?

Can share with me how much would the Deltec MC600 and the Tunze 9002 cost?

PWee

• SRC Member

Hi, I like my MCE600. Will keep it to use in my 2 ft tank; unless I think otherwise, I will sell it.

New one cost about $550.

Cheers!

Thanks Peter and Jacky,

For entertaining a newbie like me, even though its holiday time :)

Ok, I gathered that for Marine tank, the stock level has to be much lower than a FW tank. Coz for "nano fishes" a 2 feet can easily stock up 20 fishes and still be okay. Got it... will think about reducing to 5... or maybe 8 :upsidedown:

I also need to think about how the tank will look with only LR and 5 to 8 fishes. May not look that great huh?

Can share with me how much would the Deltec MC600 and the Tunze 9002 cost?

PWee

(-_-) Happy will do ... (o_o)

Hi, I like my MCE600. Will keep it to use in my 2 ft tank; unless I think otherwise, I will sell it.

New one cost about $550.

Cheers!

Hee hee.. yah... just found out the prices at Reef Depot... pricy.. they would have taken half the budget i have in mind!

where and when are you thinking of going to custom the tank and cabinet?

• SRC Member

Check your email bro.

Hee hee.. yah... just found out the prices at Reef Depot... pricy.. they would have taken half the budget i have in mind!

where and when are you thinking of going to custom the tank and cabinet?

(-_-) Happy will do ... (o_o)

with your given budget and pasar malam, 1K to join the nano group should be enough even for getting a second hand chiller...

Good Idea.. i should check out Pasar Malam... i don't mind 2nd hand stuff...

I was relooking at the spec and space, i might be able to fix up a 90cm X 40cm X 40cm tank...

Maybe with that, i can do a 20 fishes... hahahha

• SRC Member
Good Idea.. i should check out Pasar Malam... i don't mind 2nd hand stuff...

I was relooking at the spec and space, i might be able to fix up a 90cm X 40cm X 40cm tank...

Maybe with that, i can do a 20 fishes... hahahha

thats like a 3 footer... do get a good skimmer in that case..

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...