EXTERNAL FILTER

tahir69

• SRC Member

hi, for 3ft good if you get a sump tank & if yr tank is not meant for the overfilow system, get Eheim cannister, for my 2ftx2ftx2ft, I am using the classic round type, model 2217 cost me $188 few months back at Clementi w/o valve hor... Petmart maybe $180 ..... if you don't want, get those new Eheim with pumping function....

External filter as in cannister filter?

If u going for cannister filter, do take note of the filtration medium u placed inside. Placing coral chips will cause debris build-up in the cannister and will lead to high nitrate problem in the future which is the last thing corals need. Alternativey, Deep Sand Bed is a better mean of biological filtration. Can read up more on them in this forum.DO a simple search on it :D

Just my opinion.

Thats how a canister external filter looks like..but by using a canister filter instead of a sump system could lead to high nitrate readings. If you only want to use a canister filter then my advice would be that you maintain it at least once a week, by changing the wool media. Try to get those cheap ones instead of the manufacturer's media as those are expensive.

post-6-1071551751.gif

• SRC Member

ok tks guys, i got it, its a cannister filter rite...somebody can pls englighten my doubts, izzit good to hv a cannister filter for reef, and M.E tks for the tips, btw, i thought when we buy the cannister filter, it wil include all the stuff rite or do i need to buy separetly, or do i need to change it? pls help..tks

Within the canister filter, there are usually a few media baskets and filtration media depending on the make and model. They do come with your initial purchase of the canister but its up to you if you want to use them.

There is usually one for biological filtration which means this stuff in the basket would encourage the growth of beneficial bacteria which would convert ammonia to nitrite and then to nitrate. Another layer would be for mechanical filtration which means it remove solid waste particles from your system.

The canister unit usually gets too efficient and then your system gets loaded with nitrate though not as toxic as nitrite but it is still bad for the growth of corals, invertebrates and fishes alike.

If you really need to use one, I recommend that you not use the media in the lower basket...just place a piece of fine wool material for mechanical filtration (to remove debris and suspended solids)

Secondly, fill the upper media basket with a media called ' biohome' which is made of sintered glass material which is known to encourage both the growth of aerobic and aneaerobic bacteria which would remove nitrite as well as nitrate from your system.

Finally, if you want to further improve your filtration system, you could add chemical filtration to your system by adding activated carbon...Here I would reccomend the 'Chemi pure' media.

As all reefer knows it, it still pretty hard to tell at this point of time if your system will be susceptible to high nitrate reading after all the above measures but if you still face problems, perform a partial water change (20%) on a weekly basis and major 50% water change on a monthly basis.

Hope that helps.

Those stuff..biohome and chemi pure are readily available at LFSs that does marine live stocks. Just ask within.

To fill one media basket with "biohome" wld cost you aro S$26 and the chemipure another $10...get the 10oz ones for the chemipure. Note that u need to replace the chemipure media once every 6 mths