my 8 g reef tank

lotsofloo

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lemon, I read the article too. I've only kept the yellow tang once before. It died after 3 months. Knowing that the temperature fluctuations caused a horrible white spot on him I've never bought this fish again. I personally only stock up on fish that have a reputation of being hardy.

Some advice to lotsofloo: I'm not an expert and I feel i'm barely an intermediate reefer. All I can tell you is please do read up and consider purchasing hardy specimens. They have a higher chance of surviving and you can learn the dynamics of a reef system slowly. More than 90% of the marine fish we see in aquariums are wild caught and alot die on arrival to our island. Those that manage to overcome the stress of being fished out of their natural environment end up in our tanks. Out of those many die because they were purchased on impulse and put into a tank that ensured their slow demise.

The Starfish you have caused my very first tank crash. It was moving about fine till it moved into a cave and never came out. Thinking it had found a suitable place to hang out, I didnt think too much of it until I realised it had died and was slowly rotting away. I am guessing it died of starvation. Its death killed everything in my tank except my Algae Blenny, my blue legged hermit crabs, one turbo snail and a lone blue green chromis. It had claimed the lives of 7 other fish.

Here are 2 recommendations I have for you.

Image from http://reefchronicle.com

algae-blenny.jpg

An Algae Blenny, although not very attractive, does the job of clearing your algae and is quite a cool fish in my opinion. Just check out their eyes. Feed them the sea weed after all the algae has been munched up

Image from www.reefhotspot.com

CP_chromis_greenblue.jpg

Blue Green Chromis make excellent fish to watch as they are very active and display stunning colours. They are also very hardy and eat just about anything. Even a small group of 3 will do fine in your tank.

There may be more fish that are very good for the beginner reefer but I strongly recommend these 2 species. If there any of the information I've provided are not correct. Please feel free to correct me.

FOWLR Tank : Decom

Invert Tank: Decom

Current Tank: 2 ft with 2ft sump, 2 pyjama Cardinals, 1 Watchman Goby, 8 sand gobies, common saltwater shrimps, 3 turbo snails. 1 super green paly

i have the same blenny!!!upz lotofloo i got a green chromis u wan??sell u for a price.wat abt a pyjama cardinel fish???aso quite gd all eatin hardy(they are a 3-hand fish so very hardy can withstand stress)=)

Someday i will dare to put my tanks specification here and u will envy it.PLEASE GIVE ME HIGHER RATING=)my tank

where to get snail?

There are snails sold in every LFS actually, I donno y u thought of tangs anyway coz u can see not much of us keeps a YT in this thread anyway... Yes, pls read up more.. And u can go liveaquaria webbie there have a nano section which statEs some of the fishes suitable for nanos...

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

how bout damsel. sea life dun have snail. will damsel harm invert. the blenny looks nice. yeah i agree its not nice seeing all those dead fishy. who can be so evil.poor guys will cost lots of$. hard to imagine

sea life should still have the blenny or sold ut?who knows?the green chromis WILL NOT harm inverts it will not bother them according to my expereince it is quite peaceful

Someday i will dare to put my tanks specification here and u will envy it.PLEASE GIVE ME HIGHER RATING=)my tank

• SRC Member
i'm sure you won't want to be dumped away when you grow up.

Lemon, I got bad news for you... I'm sure many people in their 20s are sick of hearing this:

When are you going to get married and finally move out ah?

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member
huh y u writing it here. if its a complaint shouldnt it be in a pm

Hi bro, I was joking in response to a comment in a thread on a public forum. I apologise if you feel that I have overstepped your personal boundaries as a result of my reply to someone else in the thread. I'm sure the interwebs is big enough for all of us.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

Hi bro, I was joking in response to a comment in a thread on a public forum. I apologise if you feel that I have overstepped your personal boundaries as a result of my reply to someone else in the thread. I'm sure the interwebs is big enough for all of us.

ummm wait till u see my tank thread. everyone talking about everything except my tank in my thread. lol

chill guys. keep cool and happy reefing.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!