a few newb questions to ask want to know....

urh.

its not alvy but SBS_Transit.

I think people are slightly irked by the questions that he asks time and time again regarding cheap deals, even though we tell him time and time again where to get it. thats how I feel lah. sometimes I get quite fed up telling him where to get it. and to think even after doing so, he still PMs me and asks the same question again and we have the same debate again. it gets quite irritating. I'm a man of little patience nowadays. its still miraculous that I'm telling him nicely where to get stuff.

but that is just my personal disgression and not alvy's. although I second alvy when he said what he said.

by the way. if you are really keen on a hobby, you will read up on it. be it 5% or 10%. there's always a search button. I've learnt to search for what I want to ask before I ask. its a bit redundant to keep posting questions that are already answered time and time again. people have patience levels too.

my five cents worth.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
No offense to anybody :

Knowing dat marine fish keeping is an expensive hobby, there are people around who just started for the love of the hobby, but due to financial constraints, they may have to keep a low budget, thus having to ask more questions to find a cheaper alternative...

But dat's exactly the purpose of setting up a forum like this, I believe AT would agree, for exchange of information and "good deals" so dat money would not be wasted... Alvy 's question may be boring to some, but being a new hobbyist I would understand as I work long hours and I dun have much time to read all the threads, maybe only 5-10%.... And being new to the hobby, I'm feeded with so much information dat I have to digest...

In Alvy's case, maybe he wants to get a cheaper hydrometer, to invest in another test kit dat would be beneficial to his fishes well-being....

Please dun shoot down every question that people may post around here, as boring or as redundant as they may be at times, there are people around who doesn't know much but would want to keep this hobby, they may invest more in areas like more expensive skimmers, but wat's wrong if they wanna buy a cheaper hydrometer?

Thank you for your interest in reading.

Vincent Ho :)

hello,

this hobby is never cheap and I doubt it would EVER be cheap. you WANT to setup a reef rite..so make sure you get wat a reef tank really NEED! again, if you can't afford it, save till you can, meanwhile read more and find out more before start.

I agree with you on the part of this forum being a source of info, IF one actually uses it appropriately. If you don't even turn the page past page one how would you know the content of the book? Comeon, if you got no time to read or search for info online due to work commitments, you have no time to set up 1/2 a reef tank! There is no problem with asking questions, but when the questions asked do not revolve around the issues of the aquarium proper, instead, focused on the reefer's mentality of squeezing out every pennies' worth regardless of equipment quality.....seriously, a goldfish tank setup will cost you less than 100 bucks! hey..there is water..there is a tank..and yes a freshwater NEMO too!!

• SRC Member
wah kaoz...maybe you should go through the entire databse for any info you need before posting so many redundant questions!! if you want to save $$..start a goldfish tank instead! imo, you will be spending a lot more than many of us becoz you opt for cheapo items which will need replacements in near future!! do research in GOOD equipments and items instead of CHEAP ones! if you can't afford it now..don't start until you can!! else you will be postin gmore questions later for problematic buys!

haha, i also have a gold fish tank :lol::lol:

i went to pet mart to get Tropic Marin sea salt 50g.

SBS_Transit

Terryansimon,

dat's exactly wat i'm doing, whenever I got probs, or need info, I do a search, but sometimes th search function not working very well.... den i post a question in the forum for advice...

I'm still pretty new to the hobby, but as far as i'm concern, i try to provide the best for my fish... I oredi blew about $1k in 1 month, for a 2 feet tank... to buy everything to try my best in providing a good home to my fishes and corals... although I must admit i'm overstocking...

Maybe its been unfair of me to have posted my opinion in this thread, but i have been reading quite a numbers of threads whereby people have been shot down or have had nasty things said sbout them... so i just wanna air my views...

Alvy, sorry if u think it was directed at you... i really mean no malice here... hope u accept my apologies...

Vincent Ho :)

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

if you've been here long enough, you'll realise the people who get shot are those who ask the same questions over. and over. and over. and over. and over. and over. and over. and over. and over. and over. and over. and over. and over. and over *you get my drift* again.

its not like we never gave out any advice. but whats the point of giving out advice if the question was to be asked by the same person ten minutes later?

• SRC Member
i think petma*t sell corallife hydrometer for about 15 bucks. the calibrated kind.

is it good ? pet mart sells what king of brand of hydrometers ? :thanks:

SBS_Transit

if you've been here long enough, you'll realise the people who get shot are those who ask the same questions over. and over. and over. and over. and over. and over. and over. and over. and over. and over. and over. and over. and over. and over *you get my drift* again.

its not like we never gave out any advice. but whats the point of giving out advice if the question was to be asked by the same person ten minutes later?

hahaha... bro... relax... he's only a student...

(sounds familiar hor...)

anyway, i guess this is the best way to chalk up the no. of postings lah...

don't talk to me about chalking up post. one user accused me of being an empty vessel trying to chalk posts up. *mutters*

maybe I should just quit the whole thing altogether. helping people that is and just be a silent onlooker.

guess what... i just read abt 'your chalking up'.

damn pai seh now.. i hope i didn't give you the impression im 'chalking up on you'...

crossfire happens all the time online... anyway, not trying to take sides... but keep up your helpful posts... they meant a lot to newbies... (myself included)

make peace, not piss...

:ph34r::P:ph34r:

• SRC Member

this is how i make people angry, i keep asking again and again :( :cry:reason:u all never answer my question :cry2:

another thing, next time dont tell anyone that u are a student

SBS_Transit

this is how i make people angry, i keep asking again and again :(:cry:

another thing, next time dont tell anyone that u are a student

its nothing to do with 'student'... there are lots of students here (my guess)...

there's nothing wrong with asking... but repeated askings...

there's also nothing wrong with complaining... but complaining always...

i consider myself a newb too... but i guess reading up does help... (a lot!)