My Second Reef Tank!!!

reaper78

i'm still using hailea w/o ext temp controller...ok, means i have calibrated...

my tank has lots of tiny little particles....do u have this problem? or i need to place more filter wool...

Tiny particles returning back to the main tank? Nope i dont have that except for the bubbles returning back to the main tank cos i remove the 'black sponge' cover the overflow pipe. Perhaps i get some small rocks to deflect the rushing water.

U can try to use filter wool or sponge but bear in mind to change it or else overtime, u know lah nitrate go upz .....

Btwn, u using hailea HC300A right? I thought cannot calibrate? Only the HC150A can do that, maybe i wrong.......

And the JBJ chiller now, set at 28 degrees, dont know why it kick it at 28.5 degrees? 0.5 degrees difference....think i better call the hotline...

Tank Size: 3 x 3 x 2 with 3.5ft cabinet

And the JBJ chiller now, set at 28 degrees, dont know why it kick it at 28.5 degrees? 0.5 degrees difference....think i better call the hotline...

Wah call the hotline and they said is pre-set to kick in at 0.5 difference? whoa.......

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Wah call the hotline and they said is pre-set to kick in at 0.5 difference? whoa.......

Yup. The chiller kick off only after 0.5 deg after the the set temp.

Mine is like after 0.4 or 03 deg past the set temp. (prob because mine is just a 1/15 hp)

This is normal.

It will also cool the water 0.5 deg past your set temp.

So you actual temp swing is somewhere from 29deg to 28deg and vice versa if you set the temp at 28.5 deg cel.

Correction: Different in temp is +0.6 degrees. Temp set is 28 degrees, kick-in temp at 28.5 and stop at 27.9 degree. However the whole process took abt 2hrs. (I guess the flow rate is too slow as is tee-off from the return pump and by using my hands to feel the chiller's return to the main tank). Might fix another joint to improve the flow rate.

Will update again on the next kick-in time.

-Centre pipe is from the chiller (Quite weird, 3 return pipes, hopefully be covered with coraline algae soon)

post-15684-12707046976276_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

my chiller only kicks in at 29 /30....after the set temp of 28...sometimes it takes a long while to cool, sometimes it takes a short while to cool...sot sot one...

i dun think its micro bubbles...coz i can c them floating around....i think it comes from my feeding...(using frozen mysis n brineshrimp)....perhaps i dun have cleaners to eat leftovers or nano fishes to eat the tiny tiny bieces...my sallylightfoot crabs mati liao...think gana attack by the anthias when the lights are off...haha...hmmm...let me go back n observe again this evening....

my skimmer quite troublesome...have to clear and clean everyday when i'm back..if not it will not skim when the neck is dirty...i dun think u face that with yr BK

l7304smr.jpg

my chiller only kicks in at 29 /30....after the set temp of 28...sometimes it takes a long while to cool, sometimes it takes a short while to cool...sot sot one...

i dun think its micro bubbles...coz i can c them floating around....i think it comes from my feeding...(using frozen mysis n brineshrimp)....perhaps i dun have cleaners to eat leftovers or nano fishes to eat the tiny tiny bieces...my sallylightfoot crabs mati liao...think gana attack by the anthias when the lights are off...haha...hmmm...let me go back n observe again this evening....

my skimmer quite troublesome...have to clear and clean everyday when i'm back..if not it will not skim when the neck is dirty...i dun think u face that with yr BK

Usually hailea kick in at +1degree difference, well happen to my previous model. Hmm..u havent get the external controller ah? i heard sim lim square got sell also, less than 2 blue notes but i not sure exactly which store, haf to 'rackee' lor....

Alot of particles floating on the water surface or in the water column? Try change ur filter wool, or could it be the sand? just a guess...not live sand right? Then got rinse with fresh water before putting in the tank?

Ur anthias so 'xiong'?? crab also attach ah? I think AM still have sallylightfoot crab ah, but the strawberry crab seems more robust lei...hehe....Then who gona to clean n empty ur skimmer cup when u not in sg? Or go for more wet skimmate so that the top (foam) part will be at the upper part of the neck...

Sian man, now sump tank not enff nsw cos the chiller 'suck' in alot of it. Lazy to go irwana to buy nsw and haf to waste $20 bucks for OPC. Think i just de-chloride the tap water and add it in....hehe

• SRC Member

Usually hailea kick in at +1degree difference, well happen to my previous model. Hmm..u havent get the external controller ah? i heard sim lim square got sell also, less than 2 blue notes but i not sure exactly which store, haf to 'rackee' lor....

Alot of particles floating on the water surface or in the water column? Try change ur filter wool, or could it be the sand? just a guess...not live sand right? Then got rinse with fresh water before putting in the tank?

Ur anthias so 'xiong'?? crab also attach ah? I think AM still have sallylightfoot crab ah, but the strawberry crab seems more robust lei...hehe....Then who gona to clean n empty ur skimmer cup when u not in sg?

Sian man, now sump tank not enff nsw cos the chiller 'suck' in alot of it. Lazy to go irwana to buy nsw and haf to waste $20 bucks for OPC. Think i just de-chloride the tap water and add it in....hehe

in the water itself...some parts of the water surface also...think i need to get a wavemaker to blow the top part...

i washed my sand a few times b4 putting them in...

if i'm nt in sg, i have to clean my tank and do water change b4 i leave....anything more than 4 nights...i have to get victor to ask his guy to come over liao...anyway will be changing my skimmer in next few months...coz the newer reef octopus skimmers have not arrive...

u can get red sea saltmix from C328...only $15 for 4kg pck...normal price is $19...i'm using that to tahan until my next pay check...haha...

l7304smr.jpg

in the water itself...some parts of the water surface also...think i need to get a wavemaker to blow the top part...

i washed my sand a few times b4 putting them in...

if i'm nt in sg, i have to clean my tank and do water change b4 i leave....anything more than 4 nights...i have to get victor to ask his guy to come over liao...anyway will be changing my skimmer in next few months...coz the newer reef octopus skimmers have not arrive...

u can get red sea saltmix from C328...only $15 for 4kg pck...normal price is $19...i'm using that to tahan until my next pay check...haha...

Yah, wavemaker should help in clearing but get those good ones, if not it will further induce heat into the tank causing ur chiller to work harder. oh haha..nevermind lah...think i not getting the red sea saltmix, just add tap water for today. Then sunday head down to irwana for nsw and do a water change.....

Correction: Different in temp is +0.6 degrees. Temp set is 28 degrees, kick-in temp at 28.5 and stop at 27.9 degree. However the whole process took abt 2hrs. (I guess the flow rate is too slow as is tee-off from the return pump and by using my hands to feel the chiller's return to the main tank). Might fix another joint to improve the flow rate.

Will update again on the next kick-in time.

-Centre pipe is from the chiller (Quite weird, 3 return pipes, hopefully be covered with coraline algae soon)

Some updates: Duration before chiller kick-in again is abt 2hrs 30mins. That means if over a 24 hr period, chiller kick-in time is: 10.5hrs & chiller rest time is 13.5hrs. Can be improved further with higher flow rate. Guess i can only do so next week..... :eyeblur:

Looking at all your problems, sound challenging to start up a large tank... hehehe... :)

But bro, we did the' hard work' mah and of cos, with the other reefers who already had one....and beside we r learning from each another experiences so should be a breeze should u decide to start one. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

Looking at all your problems, sound challenging to start up a large tank... hehehe... :)

can be very tiring initially...esp when i have to gather live rocks....that's how i get to know reaper...haha...

n carry 5 big bags of sand....

l7304smr.jpg

Bro, u havn't upload pics to tempt Ah Siang? Haha....

Mine still not opening up fully (couple polyps very stubborn), but the rocks for Qiang are opening up nicely.

Show us your fiji's!

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Supporter

quick!!! tempt me!!!.....

how's yr event at suntec...?

hahaha... u bet.

Event ok la, got pretty ok amount of enquiries, but all also ask ask only. Dunno if any will convert to sales anyway. More like a branding event for us. Now super shack, body feel very heaty, think not enough sleep. Saturday night go Chris house frag the zoas till almost 12am, then do my own tank maintenance until 2am... last night watch EPL until 2am plus... think heaty liao. Gotta drink some ginseng...

hahaha... u bet.

Event ok la, got pretty ok amount of enquiries, but all also ask ask only. Dunno if any will convert to sales anyway. More like a branding event for us. Now super shack, body feel very heaty, think not enough sleep. Saturday night go Chris house frag the zoas till almost 12am, then do my own tank maintenance until 2am... last night watch EPL until 2am plus... think heaty liao. Gotta drink some ginseng...

This kind of shack 'heaty' cannot just 'cool' down leh. You weak already still 'cool' too much is very bad, must drink some tonic as well to balance out. My TCM sinseh said one... :bow:

• SRC Supporter

This kind of shack 'heaty' cannot just 'cool' down leh. You weak already still 'cool' too much is very bad, must drink some tonic as well to balance out. My TCM sinseh said one... :bow:

Wah, didn't know tat!!! Haha... so I better take some soup with Cordyceps, yu zhu (aka jade bamboo), etc.

• SRC Member

Wah, didn't know tat!!! Haha... so I better take some soup with Cordyceps, yu zhu (aka jade bamboo), etc.

nowadays u can just walk into eu yan sang and buy those herbal powder to mix with water n drink...instant tonic to replenish yr lost tissues...

l7304smr.jpg

Bro, u havn't upload pics to tempt Ah Siang? Haha....

Mine still not opening up fully (couple polyps very stubborn), but the rocks for Qiang are opening up nicely.

hi bro,

haha...these few days very shaq, back/shoulder aching liao. Setting up of the wavemaker and i think i finally managed to subdue the micro-bubble problem.

• Like 1

hi bro,

haha...these few days very shaq, back/shoulder aching liao. Setting up of the wavemaker and i think i finally managed to subdue the micro-bubble problem.

Sharks, only managed to resolve 70% of the mirco-bubble problem.....Waiting for vincent to add another joint (tee-off) from the return pump to the chiller (also to improve the flow-rate). Hopefully a longer distance for the micro-bubble to travel from: last chamber to return pump-> Return pump -> Chiller->Main tank and not so noticeable by then.

If not, then probably haf to get the filter-socks, hmm...

post-15684-12710848167689_thumb.jpg

post-15684-1271084828219_thumb.jpg

post-15684-12710848722071_thumb.jpg

think we shd pay him a visit with some empty plastic bags...

Haha...not time for fraggin lah bro.....'wait for it to flourish' first. Will give u some for exchange of ur precious acan perhaps?