Metal Halide

benjamintse

can any one reccomand any kind of brand of mh?preferbely with a stand :rolleyes: .my tank depth is 55cm nt sure how tat help.anyway how much light is sufficent? :thanks: my current light is aquazonic....zzz :pirate:

Someday i will dare to put my tanks specification here and u will envy it.PLEASE GIVE ME HIGHER RATING=)my tank

• SRC Member
where reef depot? :thanks: is it VERY ex?

Before you even bother about whether Giesemann lights are expensive (they are by the way), you should be asking yourself if you really need MH lights.

Consider the following:

1) Size of your tank

2) Keeping SPS or Only LPS/Softies or only a FOWLR tank

3) Running Chiller or not

Anyway, frankly speaking, you have not given any info on your tank set up so just asking where to get MH with stand will get you nowhere since nobody knows what type of MH lights you are looking for. Also what is the temperature (10K, 12K, 14K, 20K) and wattage (150W, 250W, 400W) of the MH you require and the type of MH bulb (Single Ended (SE) or Double Ended (DE)) ?

Anyway, for more information on MH bulbs read the following short write up by Marine Depot.

http://www.marinedepot.com/lighting_metal_...rmation-ap.html

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

What size is your tank?

I have got a Giessemann Nova II to let go if you are keen.

good for up to 2 ft tank.

used 3 months. Gisessemann 20k bulb.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

his tank is 90+ gal.Needs better light.He initially planned for a fowlr tank but decided to change it to a reef tank after he set up.

arh ok. three footer I suppose.

considering LED? if keeping LPS , I am sure LED will do the job.

if adamant on MH, then get T5 actinics or blue LED to supplement.

just my 1 cent worth.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member
his tank is 90+ gal.Needs better light.He initially planned for a fowlr tank but decided to change it to a reef tank after he set up.

thx for helping him clarify. For TS's reference, think it's impt to state all necessary information in future so we don't need to second guess.

You can consider MH, T5 and LEDs, even if keeping SPS. Possible combinations:

1. MH + blue LEDS/T5 supplement

2. T5 only

3. LEDs only

You can look at Giessemann, ATI fixtures or custom make from DELightings, Aquarium Artist. Lower end fixtures include diy or illumax, boyu, hopar.

sry cant post abt my tank my phone cant upload to camera.... <_< my tank abt 117cm -57.5cm-55cm i wan to keep some light hungy coral like bubble,leather hammerhead and maybe others.r u sure led is strong enough?o yes i have a chiller artica :eyebrow: 2nd hand bt workin nicely.o ya my tank is like near to the sun so it gets sunlight bt NOT direct sunlight.oopz sry for nt being specific...never update

Someday i will dare to put my tanks specification here and u will envy it.PLEASE GIVE ME HIGHER RATING=)my tank

• SRC Member
sry cant post abt my tank my phone cant upload to camera.... <_< my tank abt 117cm -57.5cm-55cm i wan to keep some light hungy coral like bubble,leather hammerhead and maybe others.r u sure led is strong enough?o yes i have a chiller artica :eyebrow: 2nd hand bt workin nicely.o ya my tank is like near to the sun so it gets sunlight bt NOT direct sunlight.oopz sry for nt being specific...never update

Ok, if you are just keeping LPS and softies, at least that's what I see from the corals you mentioned, you do not require MH at all. What you need for LPS and softies basically is a 6 tube T5 light. Your tank size should be a 4x2x2???

Tubes wise you should use a combination of ATI Aquablue Special, Atinic and Blue Plus.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

ya. LED is good enough for these. Go contact Dr Evil for further advice regarding MaxSpect. :)

Rockyboy, Sherman have been using DIY LED for some time already even for SPS. You can reach out to them. Maybe StevenKoh too.

you should really explore this rather than MH. But to each his own. good luck bro!

r u sure is 4-2-2?inch foot or what?i dun really noe how to convert from cm :P wat the ^ TUBES :ooh: im only using 3 tubes of t5 and 1 tube of t5 blueantic n 1 t8 blue antic fo night time.bt 6 tubes! :nuke: wat the difference between tat n a mh?Ati...i go check it out :D

amazing aquarium check it out

just saw this video wile reaserching....i loves the hybrid yellow tang(is it even 1?) :shock: the white-yellow tang and the black-yellow tang is my fav.i noe this a little :off::off: bt dun take out leh...... .. :(

• SRC Member
r u sure is 4-2-2?inch foot or what?i dun really noe how to convert from cm :P wat the ^ TUBES :ooh: im only using 3 tubes of t5 and 1 tube of t5 blueantic n 1 t8 blue antic fo night time.bt 6 tubes! :nuke: wat the difference between tat n a mh?Ati...i go check it out :D

Foot lah...How to have a tank 4 inch x 2 inch x 2 inch??? 1 foot approx 30cm lah. :upsidedown:

For a 4 foot tank, it is quite normal to have 6 tubes of T5 lights. Difference between T5 and MH? Well, most important difference is power consumption. MH min is 150W. 1MH is at least equal to 3 4ft T5 lights (54W) or more so do the calculations... :eyebrow:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
Foot lah...How to have a tank 4 inch x 2 inch x 2 inch??? 1 foot approx 30cm lah. :upsidedown:

For a 4 foot tank, it is quite normal to have 6 tubes of T5 lights. Difference between T5 and MH? Well, most important difference is power consumption. MH min is 150W. 1MH is at least equal to 3 4ft T5 lights (54W) or more so do the calculations... :eyebrow:

T5 produce lesser heat too......but then T5 bulb do not last as long as MH bulb. was using 150w, then to 250w n now to 6 tubes T5.......

if both led and mh have the same light output,watts?which is more ex?thinking of mh....in case nxt time want get somelight hungry coral then if i usin led i might have to change again... :pinch: im not really the diy person for aquarium stuff,nt sure whether the stuff i made is safe :lol: so i prefer to buy.ooh wait is it u can hook the led to sometype of controller so the light can GRADUALLY black out?i hope it can. :look:maybe gettin led.

can the led provide the same light colour content(the one on the colour chart??? :eyebrow: nt sureow how to explain).how strong can it be?hw many watts should i get(is it watts or lumen?).