Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

May i know what is the different between red mandarin and green mandarin? which one is more beautiful?

you are talking about the same mandarin species and not the green spotted mandarin fish right?

Between the red and green (some refer to blue) variation, the green coloration is nicer but the red is more rare.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
you are talking about the same mandarin species and not the green spotted mandarin fish right?

Between the red and green (some refer to blue) variation, the green coloration is nicer but the red is more rare.

the difference in coloration are in the fins. Blue fins and orange-red fins

• Senior Reefer

Incase anyone is thinking if red mandarins are a separate species, it is not. Red mandarins are a term given to the blue psychadelic mandarinfish, which sports a very rare red morph. this red morphed mandarin fish hails from a certain location and its a form of a geographical variant.

how to tell them apart? the ONLY true way is to see the pectoral fins. if its red, or orange, its the "true" red form. there are some blue mandarins with excess of red, so they look like a red variant. but the only way to tell is from the pectorals.

so far the only place i see with a constant supply of these rare red variants are from coral farm.

• SRC Member

I did a search for red mandarin pics but got the normal green ones, and I thought that there weren't any or my search term was not accurate. Turns out that I was looking right at them!!! IMO the red ones are not particularly striking or different enough to excite me :P

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• Senior Reefer

those two pictures you show form liveauqaria is totally wrong. in the first place, the first picture shows a female green mandarin. the second picture shows a male green mandarin. remember what i said about the pectorals being differently coloured? both here show blue. and in the first place, different sex.

here is the TRUE difference. can tell them apart by the pectoral fins. the internet is full of wrong or misleading information. must learn to pick the correct info.

post-15755-1265967063_thumb.jpg

post-15755-1265967067.jpg

• SRC Member

Ah thanks Lemon! I didn't see that pic in the first page of results, what I saw was the same liveaquaria image. But I agree with comy, the blue one is nicer :P

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• Senior Reefer

i prefer both. but in terms of specialness, red one wins. in terms of genuine beauty and intricate colours and pattern, blue 1 win. i had a pair of differnet coloured 1. the female was red. but it died.

• SRC Member
i prefer both. but in terms of specialness, red one wins. in terms of genuine beauty and intricate colours and pattern, blue 1 win. i had a pair of differnet coloured 1. the female was red. but it died.

lol I used to want a red mandarin too, but think nowadays prefer blue... still v. sad over the loss of my healthy dragonet... stupid renovation workers stressed it too much with all their pounding. :(

Can we pair them one red and one green? understand that difficult to pair ourself......

• SRC Member
those two pictures you show form liveauqaria is totally wrong. in the first place, the first picture shows a female green mandarin. the second picture shows a male green mandarin. remember what i said about the pectorals being differently coloured? both here show blue. and in the first place, different sex.

here is the TRUE difference. can tell them apart by the pectoral fins. the internet is full of wrong or misleading information. must learn to pick the correct info.

wa...i learn sometin again,thanks lemon :rolleyes:

Too many hobby......too little money!

• Senior Reefer
Can we pair them one red and one green? understand that difficult to pair ourself......

you can pair them as long as they are male and female. fishes are not like humans, don;t think they care about colours. but a male and a female might not always pair up.

wa...i learn sometin again,thanks lemon :rolleyes:

lol i learnt this from mr henry@ML! just sharing hehe

• 2 weeks later...
Got any bro & sis here find red or blue mandarin selling in LFS recently? what is the price range?

quite a number of blues in CF.

should be between 1 - 2 red notes.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member
Blue same as Green?

Feeding with frozen food?

I believe only ML will have mandarins already feeding on frozen but you have to pay a premium for them.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

Blue same as Green?

Feeding with frozen food?

yah. some refer as blue, some refer as green. sama sama

nope not feeding on frozen.