Setting up of a Frag Tank

• SRC Supporter

Hi bros and sis, as I intend to set up a frag tank for the 1st time, really need some assistance and inputs from your experience and expertise.

Firstly, my tentative plan is the following:

1. 2x1x1 tank (do i need any form of partitioning or overflow?) - budgeting $35-$40 if new, $20-$25 for 2nd hand.

2. re cycle my Eheim Canister filter - FOC

3. Get a 2nd hand chiller - budgeting $150

4. re cycle my air stone skimmer - FOC

5. get 2nd hand 2ft T5 lightings or DIY LEDs as per my display tank (long term savings but unknown effectiveness on growth) - budgeting $50 for 2nd hand.

6. re cycle existing Hydor nano wavemaker - FOC

7. use existing spare Hydor wave deflector to connect to the return pipe of the Eheim Canister filter - FOC

Anything that I missed out. I seriously got no idea how to design the tank, plain or with overflow?

PS> May venture into SPS frags in future so will need to know if need to anticipate any equipments.

Thanks. " )

• SRC Member

i would suggest you plan to run the frag tank to the same system as your main tank, plan where you can put the frag tank for easy plumbing,

previously i tried to use my pico and qt as a frag tank but all my zoas frag died because i just din have the time to take care of all 3 tanks at the same time, evaporation and heat was the killer for the other 2 tanks, you throw in a fan to control the heat then it evaporates like crazy , dont use fan then temp is not ideal , big headache

so the frag tank that i gonna setup next week will run the same water as my system so i dont have to do any acclimatising for any of my frags when i transfer them over

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

• SRC Supporter
i would suggest you plan to run the frag tank to the same system as your main tank, plan where you can put the frag tank for easy plumbing,

previously i tried to use my pico and qt as a frag tank but all my zoas frag died because i just din have the time to take care of all 3 tanks at the same time, evaporation and heat was the killer for the other 2 tanks, you throw in a fan to control the heat then it evaporates like crazy , dont use fan then temp is not ideal , big headache

so the frag tank that i gonna setup next week will run the same water as my system so i dont have to do any acclimatising for any of my frags when i transfer them over

Thks for your suggestion. Will be kinda hard for me to run the same water as the main display tank in my case. But i do agree cannot use pico for frag tank, cos my office pico also faces the same problem as you mentioned above... just lost my last piece of the lumi green monti over the CNY holidays... :((( evaporation n heat!!!!! So this frag tank is suppose to encourage growth for frags... :)))))

Oh yah, would it be a good idea to lay egg crates covering the whole bottom of the tank for easy placing of frags? Will be making multi-tiers with magnet holders...

• SRC Supporter
bro, when u free? i can meet u up to discuss ur frag plan,i did afew attempt in the past.

face some pros and cons on using eggcrates all that.

for ur chiller budget u shld be able to save it!

:)))))))))) hehehe... yeah. Thanks bro!!!! Really excited in setting up this tank. Dunno y, always like to set up new tanks here and there. :)

• SRC Member
bro, when u free? i can meet u up to discuss ur frag plan,i did afew attempt in the past.

face some pros and cons on using eggcrates all that.

for ur chiller budget u shld be able to save it!

possible to use cooling fans instead of a chiller?

the frag tank can be placed in a cool place since its small,

shouldnt be a problem finding a nice cooling place in the house..

just a suggestion to save you that $150 :eyebrow:

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member
Hi bros and sis, as I intend to set up a frag tank for the 1st time, really need some assistance and inputs from your experience and expertise.

Firstly, my tentative plan is the following:

1. 2x1x1 tank (do i need any form of partitioning or overflow?) - budgeting $35-$40 if new, $20-$25 for 2nd hand.

2. re cycle my Eheim Canister filter - FOC

3. Get a 2nd hand chiller - budgeting $150

4. re cycle my air stone skimmer - FOC

5. get 2nd hand 2ft T5 lightings or DIY LEDs as per my display tank (long term savings but unknown effectiveness on growth) - budgeting $50 for 2nd hand.

6. re cycle existing Hydor nano wavemaker - FOC

7. use existing spare Hydor wave deflector to connect to the return pipe of the Eheim Canister filter - FOC

Anything that I missed out. I seriously got no idea how to design the tank, plain or with overflow?

PS> May venture into SPS frags in future so will need to know if need to anticipate any equipments.

Thanks. " )

For a frag tank what you have is already sufficient. But take note that the Eheim filter does generate a bit of heat. A chiller is necessary if you use the Eheim filter but if you do away with the Eheim filter, then using fans will be sufficient. I'm no longer using my chiller for my 2x1x1 fowlr tank. I'm using two fans to cool the water and the temperature is kept ard 28-29 degC.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Supporter
possible to use cooling fans instead of a chiller?

the frag tank can be placed in a cool place since its small,

shouldnt be a problem finding a nice cooling place in the house..

just a suggestion to save you that $150 :eyebrow:

thks for ur input... the reason for the chiller is bcos, the frag tank is located in the small dinning area which is about 5m away from the kitchen, there will be some cooking done there, so may be quite warm in the evening when my mum cooks....

Also, I may venture into SPS frags so, better be safe than sorry... :)

• SRC Supporter
For a frag tank what you have is already sufficient. But take note that the Eheim filter does generate a bit of heat. A chiller is necessary if you use the Eheim filter but if you do away with the Eheim filter, then using fans will be sufficient. I'm no longer using my chiller for my 2x1x1 fowlr tank. I'm using two fans to cool the water and the temperature is kept ard 28-29 degC.

yah i remember your fowlr tank. Regarding the eheim cannister filter, the only headache is I find cleaning it a pain!!! cos of the clips n O-rings. Super hard to put back every time after cleaning... LOL... but if I partition a filter compartment, my 2 feet will become even smaller in area for placing frags... :( WL eh... headache sia. Haha... really have to make a decision... going to consult some experienced reefers in this liao.

• SRC Member
yah i remember your fowlr tank. Regarding the eheim cannister filter, the only headache is I find cleaning it a pain!!! cos of the clips n O-rings. Super hard to put back every time after cleaning... LOL... but if I partition a filter compartment, my 2 feet will become even smaller in area for placing frags... :( WL eh... headache sia. Haha... really have to make a decision... going to consult some experienced reefers in this liao.

Yup, it's very troublesome to clean it. What I do now is to use my MCE600 as a filter also since it has a filter compartment. :whistle

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
HMMM.... $$ or convenience.... sob.... :(:nc::cry2::pinch:

Y m I not born rich.... :cry:

i can always sell you my 6 months old mce600 for $350

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

• SRC Supporter
HMMM.... $$ or convenience.... sob.... :(:nc::cry2::pinch:

Y m I not born rich.... :cry:

bro u can do away with ur ehiem if u have a hang on filter or something. the media in the cannister can be replace by another method. the layer of oil above is a challange but can still be done.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member
thks for your offer bro, think MCE600 kinda oversized for my 2x1x1.... but its a good buy...with warranty some more.

I would say that the MCE600 is a very good skimmer for the 2x1x1 tank. I'm using it you know... :eyebrow::whistle

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Supporter
I would say that the MCE600 is a very good skimmer for the 2x1x1 tank. I'm using it you know... :eyebrow::whistle

Eh, Peter I wonder where u get all the $$ for such fine stuff... hahaha....

I have been reading about reviews on this MCE600 and yes indeed very fine stuff. The best is that it only has a small intake pipe intruding the tank... Tat would definitely save much more space then using my air stone skimmer!!!!!

• SRC Member
Eh, Peter I wonder where u get all the $$ for such fine stuff... hahaha....

I have been reading about reviews on this MCE600 and yes indeed very fine stuff. The best is that it only has a small intake pipe intruding the tank... Tat would definitely save much more space then using my air stone skimmer!!!!!

And it has a media compartment that allows you to add a small amount of carbon and GFO.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

And it has a media compartment that allows you to add a small amount of carbon and GFO.

GFO = ?

how much space for carbon and medias?

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Media box is sold separately.

One palm full of carbon + one palm full of rowaphos.

Thats not too bad.... tempting......

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member
Media box is sold separately.

One palm full of carbon + one palm full of rowaphos.

I didn't get the media box. Just put the media into a filter bag and put it in the compartment.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

jacky, wat about your Tunze Reefpack??? How would u rate tat? :)

I think the Tunze 9002 is good for its price.

But need to ensure water level consistency

Personally I do not like the mechanical cleaner.

• SRC Member
I think the Tunze 9002 is good for its price.

But need to ensure water level consistency

Personally I do not like the mechanical cleaner.

DELTEC MCE600 is still the best... :eyebrow::whistle

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List: