Lighting schedule

Ketchup

• SRC Member
you blue LED is switch on for just 4 hrs.

I left mine for 8. double....

wonder if it is too long.....

Because, I heard that blue light is just for us to enjoy the colors of the ls;

not much useful for the ls; but white light is important to ls.

Not sure true or not though.

(-_-) Happy will do ... (o_o)

Because, I heard that blue light is just for us to enjoy the colors of the ls;

not much useful for the ls; but white light is important to ls.

Not sure true or not though.

white light is for growth. 6k is very good but will get algae boom

10k is just nice but looks too white. so ppl normally adds in actinic lights for the glow.

Yes blue light approx 460nm helps the corals to look better but I recall this part of the wavelength is beneficial to their development too.

that is why reef do not use the other spectrum of actinics. 410 nm.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• Sponsor
Hi DE

yes, we already try our best to add fan, small exhaust fan etc.. and open the cabinet door on the chiller compartment 24/7. For the MH portion, i am really at a loss on how to do it now.

Our tank is 4ft X 2.5ft width and 2ft height.

Technically, in terms of water volume, 1/4 arctica should be fine... well, technically..

Did you place your chiller pump correctly in your sump tank? As sometimes reefers intend to place in pump and the chiller outlet correctly (do not cross).

Correct way - Chiller Pump in second compartment and chiller water outlet the same place as the return pump compartment

Wrong way - Chiller pump in the same compartment as the return pump and chiller outlet in the 2nd sump compartment causing chill water to go back to the chiller pump.

If the above dont work, i suggest you service your chiller and try cooling in a pail of water. See how fast is your cools down the water in the pail....

You refrigent in your chiller may run low which is a possibility

my 2 cents

If the above dont work, i suggest you service your chiller and try cooling in a pail of water. See how fast is your cools down the water in the pail....

my 2 cents

hmmm that could be the case for craftsman tank.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member
Did you place your chiller pump correctly in your sump tank? As sometimes reefers intend to place in pump and the chiller outlet correctly (do not cross).

Correct way - Chiller Pump in second compartment and chiller water outlet the same place as the return pump compartment

Wrong way - Chiller pump in the same compartment as the return pump and chiller outlet in the 2nd sump compartment causing chill water to go back to the chiller pump.

my 2 cents

Wow, so I maybe putting my chiller pump in the wrong compartment?

My chiller pump is in the last compartment where the return pump is.

Chiller output also in this compartment.

So this is not right is it?

I should move the chiller pump to another compartment? which is my skimmer compartment.

Can advice further?

Thanks!

• Sponsor
Wow, so I maybe putting my chiller pump in the wrong compartment?

My chiller pump is in the last compartment where the return pump is.

Chiller output also in this compartment.

So this is not right is it?

I should move the chiller pump to another compartment? which is my skimmer compartment.

Can advice further?

Thanks!

yours is the classic case of putting the chiller pump at the wrong compartment. If you place the chiller pump in the return pump compartment and the chiller return at the same compartment, you chiller will not work correctly....why? because the cold water will be pump again into the chiller and the thermostat will sense that the temp is cold and will cut off.

So its like circulating within the return pump compartment and very little cold water will be release to the main tank.

U should change the position of the chiller pump to another compartment (for your case is your skimmer) and the chiller output (cold water) in the return pump compartment. With this, the cold water will be release up to your main tank and not be circulated back to the chiller.....

U try and it should work......one coffee for me :eyebrow:

• SRC Member
yours is the classic case of putting the chiller pump at the wrong compartment. If you place the chiller pump in the return pump compartment and the chiller return at the same compartment, you chiller will not work correctly....why? because the cold water will be pump again into the chiller and the thermostat will sense that the temp is cold and will cut off.

So its like circulating within the return pump compartment and very little cold water will be release to the main tank.

U should change the position of the chiller pump to another compartment (for your case is your skimmer) and the chiller output (cold water) in the return pump compartment. With this, the cold water will be release up to your main tank and not be circulated back to the chiller.....

U try and it should work......one coffee for me :eyebrow:

I see. I checked before; but the chiller pipe return just in front of the return pump intake; will this be ok?

It still takes my chiller about 45 minutes to go from 28 to 27.3 degrees.

Also, the skimmer compartment got some bubbles; is that ok for my chiller pump?

Thanks.

kopi no problem la ...

• SRC Member
I see. I checked before; but the chiller pipe return just in front of the return pump intake; will this be ok?

It still takes my chiller about 45 minutes to go from 28 to 27.3 degrees.

Also, the skimmer compartment got some bubbles; is that ok for my chiller pump?

Thanks.

kopi no problem la ...

ur chiller output is not in ur skimmer compartment meh? the output pipe pump cold water into the skimmer compartment.

God Blessed all who appreciate His wonderful and beautiful creations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my first reef aquarium 15jan2010

3x2x2ft EOS 10mm tank with sump//deltec sc2060 skimmer//arctica 1/10hp chiller

maxpect g2 170w led//vortech mp40w wavemaker//eheim 1262 universal pump

eheim compact+ 3000 chiller pump//caribsea ocean direct live sands 40lbs

and other misc...

• SRC Member
ur chiller output is not in ur skimmer compartment meh? the output pipe pump cold water into the skimmer compartment.

No, my input and output of chiller in the last compartment;

different ends though.

No, my input and output of chiller in the last compartment;

different ends though.

imo, still better to put them in separate compartments.

also your chiller kick in and cut off should be about +/- 3 deg cel.

should not be so wide a range from 28 to 27.3 degrees unless if you have just set it to a lower temp.

So if the chiller temp has been set for sometime at 27.5 deg cel already, then it should kick in at about 27.8 and cut off at about 27.2

Normally takes about 10 mins.

and prob another 1 hr before it kick in again depending on ambience and eqpt heat transfer.

• SRC Member

To make it simply...

Warm water drawn in by the pump should be in the sump compartment (usually first or second) before chilled water pumped out in another compartment (usually the last compartment where return pipe is). Not the other way round. Both inlet and outlet should not be in the same compartment.

Some reefers chose to pump chilled water directly into main tank from the chiller.

• SRC Member

Sorry, type error in earlier post.

To make it simply...

Warm water drawn in by the pump should be in the sump compartment (usually first or second) before chilled water pumped out in another compartment (usually the last compartment where return PUMP is). Not the other way round. Both inlet and outlet should not be in the same compartment.

Some reefers chose to pump chilled water directly into main tank from the chiller.

• SRC Member
Already have 2 powerful fan to cool the lighting and we raise the light a bit as well.. i think it's the floor to ceiling cupboard design that traps the air and makes the water temp high...

anyway now 2 problem... one is water temp quite high... 2nd is chiller not chilling fast enough...

Quite surprised that yr tank maker didn't make any ventilation holes (with exhaust fan even better) at your top cabinet. Though you have powerful fans blowing at your lighting, the warm air is just circulating within the cabinet and will only get even warmer when your 2x250w MH lights are on. Really good to get those trapped warm air out from the top cabinet if you want to save some electricity and having chiller running too often.

• SRC Member

my 2 cents

For my case, i doubt anything wrong with the pump as it's brand new setup and the arctica came down and see b4 also.. as for the chiller compartment thing... i need to think how it works and see if we did it wrongly.. or rather our LFS did it wrongly :P

• SRC Member
Quite surprised that yr tank maker didn't make any ventilation holes (with exhaust fan even better) at your top cabinet. Though you have powerful fans blowing at your lighting, the warm air is just circulating within the cabinet and will only get even warmer when your 2x250w MH lights are on. Really good to get those trapped warm air out from the top cabinet if you want to save some electricity and having chiller running too often.

Got the 3 line slits lah.. but i think not enough lor.. :P

• SRC Member

Ok.. ours is like this...

|from main tank|refrigum|3rd chamber with rowasphos etc/outlet from skimmer flowing back to Refrigum|in/out from chiller/return to MT/inlet to Skimmer|

So i guess it's not so good since chiller in/out is in same chamber?

|from main tank|refrigum|3rd chamber with rowasphos etc/outlet from skimmer flowing back to Refrigum|in/out from chiller/return to MT/inlet to Skimmer|

just wondering, did you set it up yourself ?

So if your chiller is overworked now, so it will be worst if your rectify the positioning?

• SRC Member

Since, I moved my chiller pump to another chamber; the kick in is less :rolleyes:

Could not explain why though; previously the chiller pump is in the chamber where the output of chiller is.

Though, now I think it is noisier; could be the pump vibration.

guys i dont wanna open another thread so i js gonna ask here.. for my LED i can choose 3 diff settings.

-white

-blue/white

-blue

so wat timing schedule u all recommend?mind is a Led panel btw.mind now is

3-6pm white

6-9pm blue/white

9-12am blue

i reach home in the evening so will like the moon lights to be on late after i reach home.

Nitz off ard midnight.hope to hear from every1 bout their lighting schedule. ;)

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

• SRC Member

Yes, chiller in/out should NOT be in the same compartment. That's wrong positioning cos some chilled water in that compartment will get back into your chiller again, sending the wrong temp signal to the chiller while your main tank has not been totally chilled yet.

guys i dont wanna open another thread so i js gonna ask here.. for my LED i can choose 3 diff settings.

-white

-blue/white

-blue

so wat timing schedule u all recommend?mind is a Led panel btw.mind now is

3-6pm white

6-9pm blue/white

9-12am blue

i reach home in the evening so will like the moon lights to be on late after i reach home.

Nitz off ard midnight.hope to hear from every1 bout their lighting schedule. ;)

your photo period a bit weird.... personally i try to simulate the sunrise, day , sunset sequence.

Example:

blue 1 hr

blue+white 7 hr

blue 1 hr

your can play with the numbers or maybe 0.5 hr, then 6 hrs, then 0.5 hrs

can also start from 4pm so lights off will be around 11 pm

Plenty of time for you to admire your tank then.

• SRC Member
Yes, chiller in/out should NOT be in the same compartment. That's wrong positioning cos some chilled water in that compartment will get back into your chiller again, sending the wrong temp signal to the chiller while your main tank has not been totally chilled yet.

Ok.. that makes sense... will check again with R**** since we got it done by them.