Trying For A New 1.5 FT Nano Tank

malmah

Good Day Bros and Sis,

I had kept 1.5 Ft (with IOS) simple Reef Tank on 2006 till 2008. And Stopped due to work required regular travel to Oversea.

At the End of 2008, I started a new Job which do not require freguent travel till today.

And on 1st Quarter of 2009, I started with 1.5 FT Freshwater CRS Tank (S to SS Grade), and so far quite happy with it.

Few weeks ago, I started reading this Forum again and think of consider to re-start a Simple Reef Tank as I miss it quite much.

My planning is to has a 1.5 FT Cube Tank with Sump as CO not approve for bigger than 1.5 FT.

A pair of nice Clown Fishs, if possible a Anemone,

one to two Cleaner Shrimps,

some light Mushrooms, Tube worms, that all.

Appreciated, Bro and Sis here do give me some advise.

1) Changing water - I am staying in Jurong (West), is there any LFS around the West, which I can easily purchase pre-make Seawater.

Or, is there any Brand of Sea Salt easy to mix/dilute?

I remember during last time buying Seawater from the LFS in West Coast, but notice is no longer there.

2) Light - I notice LED Light are getting popular and easy. Consider my above Set up, what LED Light is suitable?

3) Skimmer - is Tunze 9002 is ok for a 1.5 FT Cube Tank (approx: 72 ltrs) and Sump Tank (approx: 40 ltrs).

4) Live Sand - any recomendation and advise?

5) Chiller - I still have this Artica DB50 (1/15hp) with me, it is ok for 1.5 FT Cube Tank?

6) General Maintenance - beside weekly water change, what supplement/elements do I has to take note?

I apologise for any inconvenience cause.

Thks/rgds.

malvin

• SRC Member

Welcome back bro. You're invited to join our club "Head of the House Hole" with bro Jacky and me as members :lol: . I would suggest u take a look at the member's tank thread and analysis what u need and also to make a careful planning before structing your tank.

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

Welcome back bro. You're invited to join our club "Head of the House Hole" with bro Jacky and me as members :lol: . I would suggest u take a look at the member's tank thread and analysis what u need and also to make a careful planning before structing your tank.

Thanks Bro,

Noted of your advise and agree, need to be very careful and lot of thinking before heading for it.

Thanks for the welcome.

Rgds.

malvin

Welcome back bro. You're invited to join our club "Head of the House Hole" with bro Jacky and me as members laugh.gif . I would suggest u take a look at the member's tank thread and analysis what u need and also to make a careful planning before structing your tank.

wahahaha.... fell off my chair..... now we have another club within SRC..... kekek.....

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

1) Changing water - I am staying in Jurong (West), is there any LFS around the West, which I can easily purchase pre-make Seawater.

I remember during last time buying Seawater from the LFS in West Coast, but notice is no longer there.

2) Light - I notice LED Light are getting popular and easy. Consider my above Set up, what LED Light is suitable?

3) Skimmer - is Tunze 9002 is ok for a 1.5 FT Cube Tank (approx: 72 ltrs) and Sump Tank (approx: 40 ltrs).

5) Chiller - I still have this Artica DB50 (1/15hp) with me, it is ok for 1.5 FT Cube Tank?

6) General Maintenance - beside weekly water change, what supplement/elements do I has to take note?

I apologise for any inconvenience cause.

Thks/rgds.

malvin

1) There are quite a handful of LFS in the west.. think the nearest would be Jireh or Marinelife..

2)Maxspec is the in thing for LED now.. suits 1.5ft well.. check out this link

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=86130

3)Tunze 9002 should be fine... can go up one higher as well like 9005

http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/productsDetail.asp?productid=800

4)Natures Ocean Live Aragonite Black Sand!!!! i love how black sand brings out the colours of the corals.

http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/productsDetail.asp?productid=865

5)1/15 should be fine for your tank size

6)You can consider building an algae scrubber in your tank to help reduce nutrients..

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=73162&st=1100&p=887149&hl=scrubber&fromsearch=1&#entry887149

Last but not least.. Welcome back! =]

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

My planning is to has a 1.5 FT Cube Tank with Sump as CO not approve for bigger than 1.5 FT.

lol... sound so familiar.... keke.... glad to know that I am not alone.....

1) Changing water - I am staying in Jurong (West), is there any LFS around the West, which I can easily purchase pre-make Seawater. Or, is there any Brand of Sea Salt easy to mix/dilute?

you can purchase Natural Sea Water from CF, they are in Lim Chu Kang. Further up NTU stretch beyond the cemetries. accessible only by car. Else LFS in the city AM, SL, ML sells mixed salt water. Most salt brand imo are about the same. get the reputable ones.

Reccommend you either the Maxspect 60W or 110W. Cheap and good.

You can PM Dr Evil.

Yes it is but it is very water level dependent. I am using it for my 90 litre tank. so far so good. If budget allows, maybe source for a more powerful & less fussy skimmer. MCE 500?

Suggest Carribsea grade 1 live sand. grade 0 is too fine and your MP10 might create sandstorm.

Yes. I am using that. great chiller :)

I dose some additives like Kent Marine calcium, iodine, trace elements, dKH buffer.

food I does zooplankton, phytoplankton, oysterfeast.

Pls note I dose in very small qty regularly and I am overdoing it. regular water changes itself should be sufficient.

My set up should be pretty similar to what you want with the exception that I do not have sump.

Pls give Dr Evil a call. I know he is embarking on some project and that is exactly what you are looking for and welcome back bro!

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

Maybe bro malmah can come up with version 3!

haha... you can try proposing to him... wahahaha.....

1) There are quite a handful of LFS in the west.. think the nearest would be Jireh or Marinelife..

2)Maxspec is the in thing for LED now.. suits 1.5ft well.. check out this link

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=86130

3)Tunze 9002 should be fine... can go up one higher as well like 9005

http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/productsDetail.asp?productid=800

4)Natures Ocean Live Aragonite Black Sand!!!! i love how black sand brings out the colours of the corals.

http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/productsDetail.asp?productid=865

5)1/15 should be fine for your tank size

6)You can consider building an algae scrubber in your tank to help reduce nutrients..

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=73162&st=1100&p=887149&hl=scrubber&fromsearch=1&#entry887149

Last but not least.. Welcome back! =]

To: Bro Ray

Noted and thanks for advise.

Will do a search.

Rgds.

malvin

• SRC Member

I think Henry at Marine Life does sell SW. Can check him up in our sponsors.

If you are keeping Anemone, you need strong light. LED is suitable, do consider the ones that our sponsors currently market, think majority of them would fit your needs.

Think 9002 is good enough for you, although you can consider other skimmers which could clean out more junk. For example, I love my MCE600 :P

depends on your budget. Not a must have, but many consider good to have.

How old is it? When was it last serviced? You might need to get it serviced and see if it is in good condition. 1/15 should be just nice for 1.5 cube.

For now, just concentrate on water changes. They should replenish your elements.

Would advice against keeping tube worms for the time being as they require almost constant feeding.

I think Henry at Marine Life does sell SW. Can check him up in our sponsors.

If you are keeping Anemone, you need strong light. LED is suitable, do consider the ones that our sponsors currently market, think majority of them would fit your needs.

Think 9002 is good enough for you, although you can consider other skimmers which could clean out more junk. For example, I love my MCE600 :P

depends on your budget. Not a must have, but many consider good to have.

How old is it? When was it last serviced? You might need to get it serviced and see if it is in good condition. 1/15 should be just nice for 1.5 cube.

For now, just concentrate on water changes. They should replenish your elements.

Would advice against keeping tube worms for the time being as they require almost constant feeding.

To: Bro Comycus

Noted and thks.

Appreciated.

Rgds.

malvin

• SRC Member

To: Mod and Bro,

Can anybody guide me how to PM to somebody and check my PM.

Sorry totally out of touch, maybe getting old already.

Thks/rgds.

malvin

P/S: If I had Post it in a Wrong Section, please forgive me.

there is an envelope below the members profile when he post click on it and you can PM the person.

To check, scroll to the top of your screen. You should be able to see your nick in a dark blue box.. click on it to check PM.. =]

You are damn funny... LoL so sad.... ha ha ha ha

My hole is the balcony. I charge my wife toll when she comes to look at my fishes.

there is an envelope below the members profile when he post click on it and you can PM the person.

To check, scroll to the top of your screen. You should be able to see your nick in a dark blue box.. click on it to check PM.. =]

To: Mr Ray

Thanks. will try.

rgds.

malvin

Quoted:

From Bro jackwongto

UNquoted:

Bro Jacky,

Yes, you are not alone.

Frankly speaking, you should not be worst then me. fyi, for the last 10 years, 60% of my monthly salary had go to my CO account and she is still working.

I'm sure all of you good fellows must be laughing and thinking what a werd guy I am. it been a long story and is not that I am womanizer or had done something wrong. But it a MUST.

I just do a estimate sum up of the cost for setting up this 1.5 FT Cube Tank with LED Light, good Skimmer etc and it about $2,000. I think my CO will not give me this money to do it. Sighn.

Have to think of other way.

Rgds.

malvin

Quoted:

From Bro jackwongto

UNquoted:

Bro Jacky,

Yes, you are not alone.

Frankly speaking, you should not be worst then me. fyi, for the last 10 years, 60% of my monthly salary had go to my CO account and she is still working.

I'm sure all of you good fellows must be laughing and thinking what a werd guy I am. it been a long story and is not that I am womanizer or had done something wrong. But it a MUST.

I just do a estimate sum up of the cost for setting up this 1.5 FT Cube Tank with LED Light, good Skimmer etc and it about $2,000. I think my CO will not give me this money to do it. Sighn.

Have to think of other way.

Rgds.

malvin

Dude... I think where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

I also give 60% of my pay to my wife to manage. You're not alone. :rolleyes: I actually feel that this is a good arrangement. If I manage it myself, I think I would have a fish room like Cedric's! and become bankrupt leow. ha ha ha ha ha ha

Dude... I think where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

I also give 60% of my pay to my wife to manage. You're not alone. :rolleyes: I actually feel that this is a good arrangement. If I manage it myself, I think I would have a fish room like Cedric's! and become bankrupt leow. ha ha ha ha ha ha

Bro Craftsman,

I finally find my Blossom Pal and somebody understand me.

Where u stay, we whould meet up often.

Rgds.

malvin

Bro Craftsman,

I finally find my Blossom Pal and somebody understand me.

Where u stay, we whould meet up often.

Rgds.

malvin

LoL!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Malvin, I'm in Hougang, and near all the Pasir Ris LFS. I work in Tuas, and pass by all Kranji LFS and also very near Henry's ML. I'm everywhere.... :eyebrow:

Yeah, sure.. would love to catch up over kopi.

Had wanted to pass you a brand new spare canister filter I bought last year for my fresh water tank, but never got to use. But, dun think you need one now, since you're going for a JBJ.

By the way, yesterday I bought my cheapest fish from Ah Beng..... a $1 clown fish. Wa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... can be done! :whistle

LoL!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Malvin, I'm in Hougang, and near all the Pasir Ris LFS. I work in Tuas, and pass by all Kranji LFS and also very near Henry's ML. I'm everywhere.... :eyebrow:

Yeah, sure.. would love to catch up over kopi.

Had wanted to pass you a brand new spare canister filter I bought last year for my fresh water tank, but never got to use. But, dun think you need one now, since you're going for a JBJ.

By the way, yesterday I bought my cheapest fish from Ah Beng..... a $1 clown fish. Wa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... can be done! :whistle

Paiseh Malvin.. wrote the bold sentence above on the wrong thread... :paiseh: Wanted to pass the canister filter to another bro trying to start a tank on $200 budget.

• SRC Member

it been a long story and is not that I am womanizer or had done something wrong. But it a MUST.

We were wondering just 2 weeks back when Jack Neo will start reefing... looks like we found him! LOL...

Just kidding bro, welcome to the forum, if you are around long enough you will know that I like to tease people like that ;)

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

We were wondering just 2 weeks back when Jack Neo will start reefing... looks like we found him! LOL...

Just kidding bro, welcome to the forum, if you are around long enough you will know that I like to tease people like that ;)

LOL!!! Bino is a DINGer! :idea:

You will also get to know many other people like to TCSS here..

Brief Intro:

Jacky - Indian Chief of everything.. A.K.A Sai Gang Warrior

AhSiang- LSB guru.. anything 'dirty' he sure know.. lol..

• Sponsor

hi malmah,

If you are keen, im building afew 1.5ft cubes tank with cabinet and sump plus my Maxspect LED light set.

Reasonably price and the best is that its will 3 sided crystal clear glass.

PM me for more details ya...cheers

Jacky - Indian Chief of everything.. A.K.A Sai Gang Warrior

PUI sick.gifsick.gifsick.gif