100 GPD Portable RO/DI review

teebs

• SRC Member

Just got my portable 100GPD RO/DI unit recently but decided to reconfigure it into two sets, a sediment filter + carbon filter & faucet adaptor for drinking water and the sediment, carbon, RO and DI unit for aquarium use only.

Reason for this is that RO units will have waste water that is usually ard the ratio of 2L+ of waste water for every 1L of RO/DI water produced.

Here is the RO/DI unit that I got from USA.

IMG_1507.jpg

The 100GPD RO Membrane made in USA.

IMG_1509.jpg

Current setup of my RO/DI in my toilet. Using the existing Crystal Pro unit to hook up to my water supply as I did not get the hose adaptor from the supplier. Couldn't find the correct size adaptor at hardware stores ard my area. Currently setup as follows: Sediment=> carbon> RO membrane=> DI=> outlet.

IMG_1521.jpg

I'm using the carbon catridge stage of the Crystal Pro unit to connect my RO unit. Basically I took out the carbon catridge so the filter catridge is empty, then I connect the inlet of the RO/DI unit to the back connector of the Crystal Pro.

IMG_1523.jpg

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member

Now for the TDS readings:

Tap Water TDS reading: 187ppm

IMG_1513.jpg

TDS Reading after the carbon stage of the RO/DI filter. This is the pre RO stage: 187ppm

IMG_1515.jpg

TDS Reading after the RO stage before the DI stage: 18ppm [From the reading, the RO membrane has a 90% TDS rejection rate]

IMG_1517.jpg

TDS Reading after the DI stage: 0ppm

IMG_1520.jpg

TDS reading of the waste water produced by the RO: 294ppm

IMG_1526.jpg

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

so fast arrive already arh.....

you stuffs always so power wan.... hehe....

now you dun have to worry about your tapwater 165 ppm TDS liao.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

nice work done Peter :bow:

btw, i was wondering how much time needed to produce 1liter, though it said to make 100gpd, sometimes it should be an estimation.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

think i see another bulk order in the making ...............

you have another title now - BO king !

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member

so fast arrive already arh.....

you stuffs always so power wan.... hehe....

now you dun have to worry about your tapwater 165 ppm TDS liao.

My tap water is 187ppm just now. In the morning when i did my first batch of RO/DI water, my tap water was 257ppm... :eyeblur:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

nice work done Peter :bow:

btw, i was wondering how much time needed to produce 1liter, though it said to make 100gpd, sometimes it should be an estimation.

Later, I will use a 1.5L bottle to time how long it take to fill it up and how many litres of waste water is produced. Actually the rejection rate was slightly lower than expected. According to the supplier, the 100GPD membrane has a rejection rate of 95% at 60psi pressure. So it seems that the HDB supply is less than that.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

My tap water is 187ppm just now. In the morning when i did my first batch of RO/DI water, my tap water was 257ppm... online2long.gif

so it fluctuates through the day.

theory: if the TDS is always higher in the day, then it makes sense for us to collect water for WC in the evening smile.gif

• SRC Member

think i see another bulk order in the making ...............

you have another title now - BO king !

Bulk order for this will be quite difficult as it is expensive. Shipping cost is also very high.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

so it fluctuates through the day.

theory: if the TDS is always higher in the day, then it makes sense for us to collect water for WC in the evening smile.gif

I don't think it happens thia way... :whistle

Basically it depends on the treated water that is being pumped to our homes.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

Ok, I just took the time for the RO/DI unit to fill up a 1.5L bottle of 0 TDS water. According to my watch, it took 8 minutes to fill up the 1.5L bottle.

The waste water produced is this much:

IMG_1527.jpg

Using a measuring container to measure the amount of waste water produced gave approx 2.7L.

IMG_1529.jpg

So 1.8L of waste water produced for every 1L of 0 TDS water produced.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

Hi bro,

Just curious. Are you able to calculate how much it cost you to produce 1 litre of 0 TDS water? Assuming the filter will need replacement after X litres produced.

According to the supplier, the DI catridge is able to produce approx 500 gallons of 0 ppm water before it needs to be changed.

Anyway, the set I got comes with an extra DI catridge, 1.5lbs of MB400 resin good for 4 refills and 1 extra sediment and carbon filter. Total effectively is 6 DI catridges and refills.

Based on my total set cost of ard $400,

Max volume of 0ppm water that can be produced = 3,000 gallons = 11,400 L

Cost of producing 1L of 0 ppm water at max volume: $0.035

Cost of producing 1L of 0ppm water assuming 500L produced: $0.80

Cost of producing 1L of 0ppm water assuming 1,000L produced: $0.40

Cost of producing 1L of 0ppm water assuming 2,000L produced: $0.20

Cost of producing 1L of 0ppm water assuming 4,000L produced: $0.10

Cheapest distilled water: NTUC Pure water @ $1.35 for 4.5L => $0.30/L

Crystal Pro unit with 5 refill sets: $198 + $300 = $498.

According to my usage 2 Crystal Pro DI catridges can produce ard 240L of 0ppm water before it needs to be changed.

Cost of producing 1L of 0ppm water using Crystal Pro = $498/(240x6) = $0.35

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

Wow Peter... THANKS for this review.. i'm considering seriuosly of getting an RO unit too... :) I"d be asking RB what RO Unit they can get for me and the price... especially since I"m concerned whether the replacement catridges are easily available.. wouldn't want to buy something and end up replacement parts become a pain. ;P

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

According to the supplier, the DI catridge is able to produce approx 500 gallons of 0 ppm water before it needs to be changed.

Anyway, the set I got comes with an extra DI catridge, 1.5lbs of MB400 resin good for 4 refills and 1 extra sediment and carbon filter. Total effectively is 6 DI catridges and refills.

Based on my total set cost of ard $400,

Max volume of 0ppm water that can be produced = 3,000 gallons = 11,400 L

Cost of producing 1L of 0 ppm water at max volume: $0.035

Cost of producing 1L of 0ppm water assuming 500L produced: $0.80

Cost of producing 1L of 0ppm water assuming 1,000L produced: $0.40

Cost of producing 1L of 0ppm water assuming 2,000L produced: $0.20

Cost of producing 1L of 0ppm water assuming 4,000L produced: $0.10

Cheapest distilled water: NTUC Pure water @ $1.35 for 4.5L => $0.30/L

Crystal Pro unit with 5 refill sets: $198 + $300 = $498.

According to my usage 2 Crystal Pro DI catridges can produce ard 240L of 0ppm water before it needs to be changed.

Cost of producing 1L of 0ppm water using Crystal Pro = $498/(240x6) = $0.35

Wow! Thanks for the detailed calculations. So it still makes sense for your system assuming the cost of the tap water (including waste water) is insignificant. But using Crystal Pro will be ... Is NTUE Pure water really TDS 0? I don't think so right?

Great review!

• SRC Member

Wow Peter... THANKS for this review.. i'm considering seriuosly of getting an RO unit too... :) I"d be asking RB what RO Unit they can get for me and the price... especially since I"m concerned whether the replacement catridges are easily available.. wouldn't want to buy something and end up replacement parts become a pain. ;P

For RO units, you do not need to worry about replacement catridges. The RO membrane is rated for 5,000 gallons, the sediment and carbon filters are rated for 1,500 to 2,500 gallons. The DI catridge is refillable so you only need to get the replacement DI resins.

If you are worried about replacement catridges, you can get the full size RO unit and not this portable unit. The full size units uses standard 10 inch catridges which you can get in Singapore easily.

I believe the RO units in Singapore typically do not come with DI catridges. DI catridges is usually an add on so it will cost more. Also when buying RO catridges take note whether the membrane is 50, 75, 100 or 150 GPD. There is a lot of difference in the amount of water it can produce per day and also the cost of the RO unit.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

Wow! Thanks for the detailed calculations. So it still makes sense for your system assuming the cost of the tap water (including waste water) is insignificant. But using Crystal Pro will be ... Is NTUE Pure water really TDS 0? I don't think so right?

Great review!

TDS reading of NTUC Pure water is ard 1-3ppm. I measured ard 15 bottles previously and this is the TDS range I am getting.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

Ok, I just took the time for the RO/DI unit to fill up a 1.5L bottle of 0 TDS water. According to my watch, it took 8 minutes to fill up the 1.5L bottle.

The waste water produced is this much:

IMG_1527.jpg

Using a measuring container to measure the amount of waste water produced gave approx 2.7L.

IMG_1529.jpg

So 1.8L of waste water produced for every 1L of 0 TDS water produced.

thanks Peter. so i think one day that will make 270 liter. the differenct from 100gpd could be due to pressure being lower than the recommended. what do u think?

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

thanks Peter. so i think one day that will make 270 liter. the differenct from 100gpd could be due to pressure being lower than the recommended. what do u think?

The working pressure for my unit is between 35 to 65 psi. Judging from the rejection rate of the RO membrane I am getting 90% compared to the optimal range of ard 95%.

Obviously the rating of the RO membrane is based on 60-65psi pressure so from the readings I am getting, I believe the water pressure in my home is probably ard 45-50 psi only. Another issue is that the water passes through the first filter catridge of my crystal pro before entering my RO/DI unit so this might cause some drop in the water pressure also.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

The working pressure for my unit is between 35 to 65 psi. Judging from the rejection rate of the RO membrane I am getting 90% compared to the optimal range of ard 95%.

Obviously the rating of the RO membrane is based on 60-65psi pressure so from the readings I am getting, I believe the water pressure in my home is probably ard 45-50 psi only. Another issue is that the water passes through the first filter catridge of my crystal pro before entering my RO/DI unit so this might cause some drop in the water pressure also.

sound logical. do let me know if you are getting a pressure guage. i want to get one as well.

thanks Peter.

• SRC Member

sound logical. do let me know if you are getting a pressure guage. i want to get one as well.

thanks Peter.

Let me check if I can get the pressure gauge locally first.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

For those interested in getting replacement inline replacement catridges, you can check out the local website (AiFrex) below:

http://sgwaterpurifier.com/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=9

They also have the 50GPD RO system. However, you will need to add the DI stage yourself as it does not come with it:

http://sgwaterpurifier.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=131

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List: