Crystal pro power resin refill

weesy74

On Sunday, I bought a carbon and a pack (2) of crystal pro power refill. Change to the new carbon and resin and I cannot get the water down to 0 ppm. I have been using crystal pro for about 1 year and has always been able to get it down to 0 ppm. Brought the refill back and the supplier agreed to change a new one for me. I changed to the new set and the same problem exist. Now i am force to use water from crystal pro from 23ppm to 50ppm to fill my migrated, reset up tank as i paiseh to go back and ask for another change. My tap water is about 70+ppm.

Anyone have the same problem?

event.png

• SRC Member

On Sunday, I bought a carbon and a pack (2) of crystal pro power refill. Change to the new carbon and resin and I cannot get the water down to 0 ppm. I have been using crystal pro for about 1 year and has always been able to get it down to 0 ppm. Brought the refill back and the supplier agreed to change a new one for me. I changed to the new set and the same problem exist. Now i am force to use water from crystal pro from 23ppm to 50ppm to fill my migrated, reset up tank as i paiseh to go back and ask for another change. My tap water is about 70+ppm.

Anyone have the same problem?

I used Crystal Pro previously and had the same issue with the last set of resins that I got from AM before CNY. I was only able to get the TDS reading down to 15ppm only even though I changed all the three catridges. I had to use a low flow and it took me quite some time before I managed to get 0 TDS reading.

One thing you could try is to flush the caron block first. If you look at the Crystal pro unit, you will find that behind the first carbon unit, there is a connector with a 1/4" hose. Unscrew that connector and run about 20L of water through the carbon unit before you fit the connector back to the crsytal pro unit.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member

do what peter tee suggested, if still can't. its propably due to the new cartridge or your TDS meter.

can try calibrating it again.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

Another thing you can check is whether the resin of your crystal refill catridge is fully packed with DI resin. If it isn't, then that might be the problem as some of your tap water might not flow through the DI resin before it exits the filter.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

sorry side track abit..

may i know besides AM where else can i get crystal pro power resin refill from?

C328 & Petmart.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

I also got mine from AM. The resins are fully pack. What i dun understand is why last time can now cannot. Last time as in the last 4 or more resins changes. The only difference is new carbon and new resin. I always change all 3 when the TDS meter is not 000ppm. BTW TDS no issue as i have another one. AM also tested with their TDS. Too bad there is no batch no or date on the resins.

Maybe today i go home, i use old carbon with the new resin. For all you know, might be the carbon that is faulty.

event.png

• SRC Member

I also got mine from AM. The resins are fully pack. What i dun understand is why last time can now cannot. Last time as in the last 4 or more resins changes. The only difference is new carbon and new resin. I always change all 3 when the TDS meter is not 000ppm. BTW TDS no issue as i have another one. AM also tested with their TDS. Too bad there is no batch no or date on the resins.

Maybe today i go home, i use old carbon with the new resin. For all you know, might be the carbon that is faulty.

It can't be the carbon because the DI resin is supposed to absorb all the ions in the water and that is how you get 0 TDS reading.

The only thing that could have caused your TDS reading to be above 0 permanently is if the DI resin has not been stored properly before it was used to fill the refill catridge.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Thats what i tot. Maybe AM did not store properly. Was thinking to go c328 to get another set to prove the point. Hope it is not batch problem as if this whole batch got defect i would have wasted $164 for both sets of resin with carbon. Then I faint liao.

Crystal pro works well for my 3x2x2 tank....hope i can carry on using it.

event.png

• SRC Member

Thats what i tot. Maybe AM did not store properly. Was thinking to go c328 to get another set to prove the point. Hope it is not batch problem as if this whole batch got defect i would have wasted $164 for both sets of resin with carbon. Then I faint liao.

Crystal pro works well for my 3x2x2 tank....hope i can carry on using it.

I believe the Di refill catridges you bought at AM is sealed so it shouldn't be a storage issue.

Have you ever thought of removing the two DI filter cannisters and changing them to refillable ones? This will help you save money in the long run.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

I believe the Di refill catridges you bought at AM is sealed so it shouldn't be a storage issue.

Have you ever thought of removing the two DI filter cannisters and changing them to refillable ones? This will help you save money in the long run.

How do you do that? Do let me know.

Thanks!

event.png

Yup, they are sealed. But I cannot explain why it is not working anymore.....

event.png

sometimes, the cartriage may be loose. if you have not nailed your DI unit to the wall, give your unit a shake and see if the cartriage can move. if it can, it is not secure enough. you can try to secure it by fiddling around with the white rubber ring.

• SRC Member

How do you do that? Do let me know.

Thanks!

you can do that by buy bulk resin together with refillable cartrigde. but you must know where to find it.

heres one link. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/10-clear-refillable-cartridge-for-di-resin.html

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

Actually i have a question... i know most reefers aim to have 0 TDS... but is it really necessary? I think as long as all the harmful ions are absorbed/filtered it will be good enough. Also, i don't think having a TDS of 10 or so will have any material effect.

• SRC Member

Actually i have a question... i know most reefers aim to have 0 TDS... but is it really necessary? I think as long as all the harmful ions are absorbed/filtered it will be good enough. Also, i don't think having a TDS of 10 or so will have any material effect.

First of all, you have to understand how an ion exchange resin works. Cations are replaced with hydrogen ions using cation-exchange resins; anions are replaced with hydroxyls using anion-exchange resins. The hydrogen ions and hydroxyls recombine producing water molecules. Thus, no ions remain in the produced water.

The issue is that as the ion exchange resins work by replacing the lower affinity ions (e.g. hydrogen ions) with higher affinity ions in the tap water, when the resins reach full capacity, it will leach some of the ions that it has absorbed back into the "purified" water. That is the main reason why many people advocate replacing the resins once the TDS reading starts to rise as we will not know what ions have been leached back into the water since we are unable to test for them.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

Just curiuos. Does everyone get fully packed DI refill catridges for their Crystal Pro refills? I have never managed to get fully packed catridges so I'm not sure if this is the normal or I'm just the odd one out.

Anyway, below are the two catridges that I got ard 2 months+ ago from AM.

DIrefill2.jpgDIrefill1.jpg

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

Just curiuos. Does everyone get fully packed DI refill catridges for their Crystal Pro refills? I have never managed to get fully packed catridges so I'm not sure if this is the normal or I'm just the odd one out.

Anyway, below are the two catridges that I got ard 2 months+ ago from AM.

DIrefill2.jpgDIrefill1.jpg

i'm getting one soon..

still not sure i'll go pass petmart or AM...

will let u know if i get from AM.. haha..

but technically it SHOULD be full right?

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member

i'm getting one soon..

By right it should be fully packed. But the last 3 refills as well as the original when I first bought it were never full. Anyway, no longer using crystal pro. Have already switched to RO/DI with refillable DI unit... :upsidedown:

But will be converting my existing Crystal Pro to a refillable DI unit...and keeping it when I need to make salt mix for changing water. Just realised that I still have about 15kg of salt in my store room. :eyebrow:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

i'm getting one soon..

It should be full but after some use, it will look like the picture. BTW resin no stock at C328. Was there just now to try to get one to verfy my test.

event.png

• SRC Member

my resin was like what peter posted.

it was not filled to the max. but i cant remember the case when i just got it though.

I've also never had fully packed DI cartridges from Crystal Pro.

And you can't check how full the cartridges are before you buy due to the foil packaging. The cheapest Crystal Pro refills I've seen were from Nature Aquarium (NA) in Balestier Hill Shopping Centre.

I checked on refilling, but the loose resin costs more locally than buying the 2 replacement DI cartridges.

• SRC Member

I've also never had fully packed DI cartridges from Crystal Pro.

And you can't check how full the cartridges are before you buy due to the foil packaging. The cheapest Crystal Pro refills I've seen were from Nature Aquarium (NA) in Balestier Hill Shopping Centre.

I checked on refilling, but the loose resin costs more locally than buying the 2 replacement DI cartridges.

Are you sure the loose resin costs more than the 2 replacement DI catridges? :eyeblur:

The loose resins only costs $10/L. Each replacement DI catridge uses only approx 800ml of resin.

The cheapest DI refill I ever got was from AM during their PRE CNY sale where I think there was a 20% discount on the DI replacement catridges. Total became $48 for two catridges.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List: