My JBJ 28G Nano Tank

seanewbie

Initially was putting the fan inside and the fan blowing towards the cupboard door.. then monitoring... :whistle

but realise later that the heat is still present and not circulating well...btw i bought a DYMAX fan..

I then put it at the back of the cupboard as there is already and opening and ledge it there...

Just realise yours is the HQI. Do monitor the over heat in the canopy as well as heat in the cabinet due to the chiller.

I had a 150W MH before and even for an open top tank, the heat was too much to take.

I highly suspect that your water gets heated up a lot.

for the cabinet heat, check it out after your tank light has switch on for 3 - 4 hrs, then observe when the chiller kicks in, once it is able to reach its intended temperature, go check out the heat. This is the time when it is at the hottest.

the rocks behind is intended to put my best coral in future. about the horizontal rock..i agree with you might relocate if it blocks the intended coral i intend to put in future....

err...what is ceremic rings? :blink:

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=87946&view=findpost&p=901150 The boyu box. not many people use them for marine tanks. Check with the other JBJ owners what they are using. if possible, small pieces of live rocks are the best. If not , then prob biohommes.

:off: read your comprehensive thread about bacteria http://www.sgreefclu...showtopic=87556

quick question...i already put live sand...do you think i should still dose bacteria?

Thank you for reading... sometimes I type and type but not sure if anyone reads them... :P

Personally I would drop some food pellets, add some bacteria and let it further cycle. just kiasu mentality. When I just set up my tank with live sand, I was also dosing bacteria every week in the initial setup.

Saw that janet did pack for you the test kit, do use them and monitor.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just realise yours is the HQI. Do monitor the over heat in the canopy as well as heat in the cabinet due to the chiller.

I had a 150W MH before and even for an open top tank, the heat was too much to take.

I highly suspect that your water gets heated up a lot.

for the cabinet heat, check it out after your tank light has switch on for 3 - 4 hrs, then observe when the chiller kicks in, once it is able to reach its intended temperature, go check out the heat. This is the time when it is at the hottest.

Yes sir. Will definitely monitor. In the meantime, i open the canopy just to be safe and the cabinet as well. OK, will monitor the heat after chiller kicks in and stopping after reaching intended temperature. BTW i set the chiller temperature to 26 degrees...to achieve a consistent 27 degree on the tank (noticed by the temperature meter i placed) Is the temperature i set right? What temperature do you set yours may i ask?

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=87946&view=findpost&p=901150 The boyu box. not many people use them for marine tanks. Check with the other JBJ owners what they are using. if possible, small pieces of live rocks are the best. If not , then prob biohommes.

Yes. saw the boyu box...searching for JBJ threads now

Thank you for reading... sometimes I type and type but not sure if anyone reads them... :P

Personally I would drop some food pellets, add some bacteria and let it further cycle. just kiasu mentality. When I just set up my tank with live sand, I was also dosing bacteria every week in the initial setup.

Saw that janet did pack for you the test kit, do use them and monitor.

Of course i'm reading and am appreciative of your feedback..still learning and need all the tips i can get especially for the start. Yup, with regards to test kit..i intend to begin monitoring after the 1st week..

Will take your advice as well...gonna grab some bacteria to dose...any brand that you recommend or currently using?

What temperature do you set yours may i ask?

I set mine at 27.5 deg cel

Will take your advice as well...gonna grab some bacteria to dose...any brand that you recommend or currently using?

I am using Prodibio Bioclean. You can get them from Petmart at 20% discount or at Marine Life.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

I set mine at 27.5 deg cel

Noted . Thanks!

I am using Prodibio Bioclean. You can get them from Petmart at 20% discount or at Marine Life.

Will grab one of these tomorrow. Thanks again

Bro that Dymax you use for ventilation fan for your cabinet cannot make it lah bro. Go Sim Lim and get those 3 inch ventilation fan. But I think its best you keep your chiller outside. Where are you placing you ballast?

I like your rocks. Any spare?

Hi bro. I use the dymax ok leh so far. What I did was to hang it at the outlet hole at the back of the cupboard. Apparently the heat of the chiller is at its back. The fan that I placed literally sucks out the heat. Will be monitoring on my next off day. I reckon I might need another fan to push/oscillate the hot air out.

Bro that Dymax you use for ventilation fan for your cabinet cannot make it lah bro. Go Sim Lim and get those 3 inch ventilation fan. But I think its best you keep your chiller outside. Where are you placing you ballast?

I like your rocks. Any spare?

sorry bro...no live rocks to spare...

Just added the bacteria advised to kind bro jacky.......no waiting... :whistle:whistle

3 WEEKS AT LEAST!! :shock::shock: dunno can tahan or not :eyebrow:

which bacteria did you dose bro?

if you dose bioclean, have live sand and LR from CF, I think you are quite good to go....

quite sure 1 - 2 fishe will be alright.

just do a test and make sure there is no ammonia presence.

which bacteria did you dose bro?

if you dose bioclean, have live sand and LR from CF, I think you are quite good to go....

quite sure 1 - 2 fishe will be alright.

just do a test and make sure there is no ammonia presence.

Hi Bro, i dose with bio clean...err..you mean i can put 1 fish already?

coz my hands shivering liao.. :eyebrow:

coz wait for 1 month can faint man

Relax relax :P It is exciting but most people have learnt to take it slow only after feeling the pain of something going wrong... Keep going!

Yes bro..agree with you...must tahan..endure

Plan as follows

1. 1st Week (This Sunday) test water perimeters

2. 2nd Week (test again)

3. 3rd Week - Introduce 1st fish if all perimeters good, Else tahan...

Setting up and introducing the first few LS will be the most memorable one...so take things slowly..

Yes bro..agree with you...must tahan..endure

Plan as follows

1. 1st Week (This Sunday) test water perimeters

2. 2nd Week (test again)

3. 3rd Week - Introduce 1st fish if all perimeters good, Else tahan...

Setting up and introducing the first few LS will be the most memorable one...so take things slowly..

Yes bro must endure. My ammonia spiked on the 3rd day and by the end of the week all zero liao except for nitrate. Still I waited for another 2 weeks before adding LS.

Maybe yours by 2nd week if there's some algae growth can put in some clean up crew.

This is my personal opinion hor. Of course I agree with Peace and infinity that cycling for a few weeks will be good.

But if you are using Bioclean, live sand, live rocks from CF, then really don't have to wait for 1 month.

At most a week or two.

My tank started on 25th oct : http://www.sgreefclu...ndpost&p=839870

fishes added a week later on 1 Nov : http://www.sgreefclu...ndpost&p=841432

I added 4 fishes at one go. No problem.

When I restart my tank, all new live rocks are from CF. No live sand. added bioclean. saltwater are all new.

This is on 17 Mar : http://www.sgreefclu...ndpost&p=888825

3 days later, added all my existing livestock (a yellow tang, my corals and a gessingeri goby) from holding tub into tank and added new purchased tailspot goby, yellow clown goby and a helfrichi firefish as well http://www.sgreefclu...ndpost&p=889829

all fishes survived till today and looking great.

So if you ask me, from personal experience, as long as this weekend, your ammonia, nitrite reading is zero, then you are good to go with 1 or 2 small fishes.

Just do weekly water changes and add bioclean every 2 weeks for a start and things should be ok.

As long as you understand what you are doing and understand the nitrogen cycle, then you are ready.

Likewise, you can wait for 4 weeks for tank to cycle, but do not understand what you are doing and do not understand the nitrogen cycle, then disaster still awaits your tank.

Hope I am not sounding too unorthodox. This is just my experience and gut feel. Of course if you are not using live sand and good live rocks, I would be saying otherwise.

• SRC Member

My opinion is that there is no right or wrong way in cycling a tank. Some people like Indian Chief will put corals and fishes immediately without cycling and nothing happens. Some people prefer to cycle for 4-6 weeks before they add fishes in.

At the end of the day, if you decide to put fishes in immediately then you must not overstock your tank. This means that you cannot throw in 5 tangs which are known to be poop machines and expect that your bacteria will be able to keep up with the waste produced.

Do it slowly, add in the smaller fishes, dose bacteria and you are most probably good to go.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

Bro jacky, confirmed, this weekend if his ammonia 0, sure he buy fish already. :lol:

:P

Hope I did not misled him... but he seemed to have a sound mind. as long as he understand the cycle, should be ok.

At the end of the day, if you decide to put fishes in immediately then you must not overstock your tank. This means that you cannot throw in 5 tangs which are known to be poop machines and expect that your bacteria will be able to keep up with the waste produced.

Do it slowly, add in the smaller fishes, dose bacteria and you are most probably good to go.

hmm just to clarify, even if you have cycled your tank for 4 weeks, you still cannot throw in 5 tangs in a single shot :)

Hi Guys, thank you for the advices and input :bow: ...bro Jacky makes me excited liao..haha..

Am eager to get somes tests this weekend and see what happens...will definitely seek advices from gurus like you guys before i proceed.

Also kena pressure from my kids....

"Dad! when will we have fishes?" Daughter/son (questions raised every now and then)

"We need to wait for a while...10 Days perhaps" me

"Why like that?" Daughter/son

"Thats the way it is" me

"You got no money to buy fish ah?" Daughter/son

"Can take from my piggy bank and buy" Daughter/son

:upsidedown:

btw didnt notice you guys replying to the thread as i would have replied sooner...

Went surfing in youtube and was inspired by a person named Paolo...take a look

his setup is AMAZING!

Hi Guys, thank you for the advices and input :bow: ...bro Jacky makes me excited liao..haha..

woah...... becareful how you construct your sentence hor..... lucky Desi, AhSiang, Ray and Bino not online....

else sure kenna bombarded like siow..... :P

"Dad! when will we have fishes?" Daughter/son (questions raised every now and then)

"We need to wait for a while...10 Days perhaps" me

"Why like that?" Daughter/son

"Thats the way it is" me

"You got no money to buy fish ah?" Daughter/son

"Can take from my piggy bank and buy" Daughter/son

kids say the darnest things.... so sweet.....

• SRC Member

Mayday! Mayday! think my tank got algae outbreak....damn! what shoud i do? ignore and continue waiting? :wacko::wacko:

too much nutrients....usually cause by feeding and food source....change yr water 10%-20%, alternate days for next one week and reduce your feeding to once a day and dun feed those market prawns or fish...they tend to cause these brown algae...

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

Mayday! Mayday! think my tank got algae outbreak....damn! what shoud i do? ignore and continue waiting? :wacko::wacko:

Algae as in algae on your tank walls or rocks? As I see should be brown algae on your rocks?

Use carbon to remove DOCs and phosphate removers to reduce the phosphates in your tank.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.