Any ways to prevent algae grow

DUCADOS

• SRC Member

Any idea to prevent algae from growing? Meaning I wanna stop them from coming back coz I notice those Koi pond they got put special chemical into pond to prevent algae from growing n also water from turning green (of coz marine wan wun turn green) is there such thing for marine?

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

Any idea to prevent algae from growing? Meaning I wanna stop them from coming back coz I notice those Koi pond they got put special chemical into pond to prevent algae from growing n also water from turning green (of coz marine wan wun turn green) is there such thing for marine?

I presume you mean u want to stop algae from growing on your tank walls???

If you want to achieve that, then you will have to keep your nitrates and phosphates low and you would probably have to run carbon and phosphate media in an FR.

But seriously speaking, you cannot prevent algae from growing at all. What these do is to reduce the growth of algae and you will not need to clean your tank walls so often.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

Digibee also use this product.

http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/productsDetail.asp?productid=1080

you can check with him the effectiveness.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

Digibee also use this product.

http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/productsDetail.asp?productid=1080

you can check with him the effectiveness.

How much does it cost? Effective meaning will stop or slow down algae grow?

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

Yes bro Peter.Tee u r right. They grow v fast on the tank wall and I have to scrub them quite often.

• SRC Member

These will slow down algae growth. But reducing your nitrates and phosphates will also achieve the same. I only clean my front tank panel once a week and back panel once a month now.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

This product so far has been effective for me, after I dose it everyday for about 2 weeks.

Now I dose twice a week.

My brown algae has been reduced much and the growth rate is much much slower now.

My red algae is growing slower too; but those that has grown on the rocks; still remain there.

Note that I also dose other solution, like bacteria and bioclean.

So sometimes I am not sure which solution helps .... but overall they are alright.

(-_-) Happy will do ... (o_o)

• SRC Member

So I must dose the product n leave it or must also remove algae?

• SRC Member

So I must dose the product n leave it or must also remove algae?

Any product you dose in your tank will only serve to control the growth of the algae. You will still need to clean your tank walls occasionally.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Probably, get some cleaning Crew like snail (I like Astrea and Bumblebee for algae), baby abalone or Algae eating blenny.. It may help your glass algae... routine partial water change still a must...

Spiny Star Astraea Snail and BumbleBee Snail

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+526+2844&pcatid=2844

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+526+565&pcatid=565

Bicolor Blenny

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+23+66&pcatid=66

Sailfin/Algae Blenny

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+23+94&pcatid=94

Abalone

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+2057+2090&pcatid=2090

Cheers...

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Probably, get some cleaning Crew like snail (I like Astrea and Bumblebee for algae), baby abalone or Algae eating blenny.. It may help your glass algae... routine partial water change still a must...

Spiny Star Astraea Snail and BumbleBee Snail

http://www.liveaquar...844&pcatid=2844

http://www.liveaquar...+565&pcatid=565

Bicolor Blenny

http://www.liveaquar...23+66&pcatid=66

Sailfin/Algae Blenny

http://www.liveaquar...23+94&pcatid=94

Abalone

http://www.liveaquar...090&pcatid=2090

Cheers...

nice info.

Hey CF,

Suddenly so onz? :P

Good to see you posting actively.

Impart your knowledge to newbies :)

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

This algae cleaning creature I do have some but problem is when they clean n when we clean is total different. They eat n leave marks on the glass,for us we wipe totally clean. So after all we still need to clean. 

• Like 1

nice info.

Hey CF,

Suddenly so onz? :P

Good to see you posting actively.

Impart your knowledge to newbies :)

Thanks Jacky.. Happy May day to you and Family....

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

This algae cleaning creature I do have some but problem is when they clean n when we clean is total different. They eat n leave marks on the glass,for us we wipe totally clean. So after all we still need to clean. 

Ya, probably they serve as prelim sweeping function..and your wipe or magnet cleaner as finishing.... This is to prevent your glass surface easily get scratches... if too depend on wiping...

A mature tank may also required glass cleaning every 3 to 4 days.. especially those spot less contact with flow...

But bad algae on rock and sand are not acceptable..

Cheers...

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

For me i feel that algae cleaner do help in some way like those area near sand bed wan I would say I dare not clean it myself using magnet cleaner or wat coz afraid of trapping sand in it n scratch my glass(already scratch some) so this r the places where I leave to them to do the job. Anything above that,god of hand will do it. Lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

would it be ok for the carbon to to placed in the FR with the sorb4? any issues?

Its ok but not exactly advisable... carbon needs to be changed more frequently then phosphate removers if i'm not wrong.. and if you mix all of them together you would have to change all too.. if cost is not much of a factor i dun think it would be much of an issue then..

HTH!

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• SRC Member

actually i was thinking of putting the whole carbon bag into the top of the FR because the sorb4 does not go that high... any when its time to take out the carbon, just remove it with maybe alittle sorb4 remains on it...

so you will be using carbon bag instead of those powder??? if thats the case then there should be no worries..

but i'm unable to comment if it would be as effective as running carbon "powder" (as in without the bag)

• SRC Member

so you will be using carbon bag instead of those powder??? if thats the case then there should be no worries..

but i'm unable to comment if it would be as effective as running carbon "powder" (as in without the bag)

Same thoughts. Kinda defeats the purpose of running a FR as the carbon is in the bag and water is not 'forced' through the media. Might as well put it in the sump directly.

• SRC Member

Same thoughts. Kinda defeats the purpose of running a FR as the carbon is in the bag and water is not 'forced' through the media. Might as well put it in the sump directly.

yup... placing it in the same where there's decent flow would be a better choice.. easier to change as well..

also.. just came to my mind that it shouldnt be effective when you place it in the FR.. the weight of the carbon bag will press down onto the sorb4 which will cause the flow within the sorb4 to decrease... this will cause the sorb4 to be less effective...