Live rock

• SRC Member

can

Hi Bro,

I am kinda of confused here. I was told by some Bros in this forum to cycle the NSW together with the LR. But, the LFS told me to cycle my NSW for a few days then add in the LR to cycle, he said it's better this way. What's your insight?

Tks.

• SRC Member

Hi Bro,

I am kinda of confused here. I was told by some Bros in this forum to cycle the NSW together with the LR. But, the LFS told me to cycle my NSW for a few days then add in the LR to cycle, he said it's better this way. What's your insight?

Tks.

no difference...

i actually did my rockscape first..left there for 2 days b4 my NSW came and after one week, i add another few more live rocks....

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

The whole purpose of cycling the tank is to seed the live rock with bacteria. Live rocks are your bio filter media. No benefits at all to cycling an empty tank with water.

Whichever LFS gave you the advice didn't do their homework. :chair:

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

which LFS told you tt? V. interested to know.

And try not to leave your LR out of water for so long. If really need to be out of water for such a long time, Wrap newspaper around your rocks and wet the newspaper. It's just a temporary measure. Remember to wash your LR in saltwater after tt or u will have shredded newspaper flying ard in your tank.

• SRC Member

LSF cannot name lah... still need the support.

Is

DOC Skimmer 9002

(9002.000)

Recommended for aquariums from 40 to 200 litres (10.5 to 52.8 USgal.) of salt water.

Dimensions: L125 x W55 x H338 mm (L4.9 x W2.1 x H13.3 in.)

Immersion depth: approx. 180 to 220 mm (7 to 8.6 in.)

230 V / 50 Hz (115 V / 60 Hz) 8 W

Skimmer cup volume: .3 l (.079 USgal.)

Air capacity: 150 l/h (39.6 USgal./h)

good enough for 34G tank?

• SRC Member

Say until like tt I have to assume is one of our sponsors. :ph34r: Did you interpret their answer wrongly? I really can't think of any LFS that would give this instruction. Maybe what they meant was you should aerate your newly mixed saltwater for 24-48hrs?

It's an ok skimmer. Have to take not that the skimmer will only run optimally at constant waterline. So if you are not running a sump, will have to either monitor your evaporation rate closely or get an auto water top up.

Hi Bro,

I got these green, purple/red, white algae on my live rock. Do i have to do anything to it etc.scrape? Will it go away after the cycle?

Thanks.

These are desirable coraline algae. a lot of hobbyist prefer to have them in their tanks.

The hairy green algae are those that you need to brush off with a toothbrush if you see them.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Hi Bro,

Tks.

Maybe he was saying run your tank with NSW 1st..... then go back to LFS and get the LR to put it into the tank after a few days.

and NOT setup the tank, leave the rocks outside of the tank for a few days then put LR into the tank.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!