help with setup new!!

hi guys! i've recently hit the interest of starting a marine setup could any of u give me some advices on what i should get? just wanting to try it out first so not thinking of going into the extreme yet so i do not have that much of a budget for it. my budget would be around 200-250. i dont mind 2nd hand equips thanks!

Welcome to SRC groupwavereversed.gif ... You need not spend alot of money to have your first marine tank, the key to a sucessful marine tank is patient and research. Alot of us here including myself started up with a simple and low start up fees marine tank before our "Reef addiction" get into us more and more .. LOL

Keeping a Marine tank unlike Fresh water tank need more research and study since marine creatures is more sensitive toward water parameter i.e; PH, ca, KH, ect...

You can find good deal / hunt at our pasa malam section for your new setup or if you need to find more information , the "search" function found on the top right of the banner will enable you to search for tons of information easily here in our forum. If you do need any help, don't afraid to ask, as i am sure many of our reefer / senior reefer / mods will be more than happy to help newbie like you but it is better to do some research and provide information on your setup in order for us to advice you better.

Happy reefing and have fun ! friends.gif

• SRC Member

Hi Bro,

Welcome to SRC and this $$ draining hobby! Lol...

Your budget is a little on the low side and thus i would encourage you to start off with FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rocks) Setup and slowly progress on to a reef tank when your budget increase..

to kick start your questions, let me just cover the few basic equipments required

Basic for FOWLR

1. Tank (But of cos!!!)

2. Skimmer

3. Lights (PL or T5 good enough)

4. Pumps

Basic for Reef

1. Tank (But of cos!!!)

2. Skimmer

3. Lights (MH, T5, LED)

4. Chiller

5. Wavemakers

Good to have if $$ permits

1. Calcium reactor

2. Denitrator

3. FR

HTH!

Happy Reefing

Ray

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

thanks for the quick response!! haha well i've asked a few different LFS that deals with marine fishes one recommended a canister to prevent so much hassle but however it is FREAKING $$$$$$ (even the china one cost $90) haha. the other recommended under gravel and another one recommended hang on filter.. im soooo very confused now :S could someone advise me what would be the actual recommended one?

• SRC Member

canister would be very troublesome for you to change the filter media as you would need to prime the canister again everytime you change the filter.. IMHO its very troublesome!!

undergravel is not recommended for marine

hangon filter only suitable for pico tank (very small tank)

would suggest you to have a sump tank..

hi guys! i've recently hit the interest of starting a marine setup could any of u give me some advices on what i should get? just wanting to try it out first so not thinking of going into the extreme yet so i do not have that much of a budget for it. my budget would be around 200-250. i dont mind 2nd hand equips thanks!

Hi anothermix,

Welcome to SRC.

As they say, all roads lead to Rome ! Personally I believe that regardless of whether you have a budget of $250, $2500 or 25,000, this hobby will still be as intriguing.... but one thing for sure, you have a lot a lot of reading up to do........

especially threads that are on this subforum http://www.sgreefclu...php?showforum=6

and I particularly like this resource provided by Goondoo http://www.sgreefclu...showtopic=89355

Do also look out for threads started by kksg2000, lcf425 ... these are newbies who have just started their tanks and I believe a lot of questions that they have raised are the same questions that you have too....

In addition, we are also holding a reefing workshop for beginners like you so that you can have an opportunity to meet up with us, hear more about this hobby and have an opportunity to raise any doubts you have on your mind. Pls feel free to join us if you can make it.

http://www.sgreefclu...=0&#entry919082

Back top your question proper, with $250, you can only set up a nano tank (small tank) and some basic eqpt. With a small tank, you can only house 3 - 4 small fishes ( small as in not just size, but in terms of bioload too - "how much they Poop" ). I agree with Ray and suggest you skip corals too. keep it as a fish only tank.

Tank set option 1: you can drop Peacemaker and check with him the dimension and cost of his 1.5 ft IOS sump tank. (Peacemaker, if you see this post, maybe you can provide this into to TS) I think should be around $150 or so. Then you would just need to get a Aquazonic 1.5 ft lightset which cost about $40+. The rest of the money can go to mini fan, filter, carbon, sand, salt, hydrometer, live rocks, fishes etc.

Tank set option 2: get a plastic 1.5 ft long tank ($20), get an eheim 2042 - Liberty 200 HOB filter ($40+), aquazonic lightset 1.5 ft ($40). This only cost about $100 and The rest of the money can go to mini fan, filter, carbon, sand, salt, hydrometer, live rocks, fishes etc. I am using this setup for my girl's tank : http://www.sgreefclu...00&#entry919240

There are other options available for sure but personally I would suggest you approach Peacemaker for details his tank details (option 1).

Binosage might also have that tank details. It is more viable for the long run.

Have fun reading, researching and keep those questions coming..... but read up more 1st okay?

thats also the fun part... :)

cheers

Jacky

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

My 2 ft tank cracked when my maid drop the pump while cleaning it up. Else I would have given to you.

I have some old (but working) pumps to clear if you want. You can take them free after i sort them out.... maybe some live rocks too....

When your tank is ready, of course....

You have to pay extra care when handling nano tank. When the diatom algae strikes, likely you can't even see through. I do not recommend you have more than a pair of fish, turbo snails on the other hand would be helpful.

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

• SRC Member

My 2 ft tank cracked when my maid drop the pump while cleaning it up. Else I would have given to you.

I have some old (but working) pumps to clear if you want. You can take them free after i sort them out.... maybe some live rocks too....

When your tank is ready, of course....

You have to pay extra care when handling nano tank. When the diatom algae strikes, likely you can't even see through. I do not recommend you have more than a pair of fish, turbo snails on the other hand would be helpful.

One more thing, be extremely careful on salinity when you use fan on a nano..... I believe its the main reason my 2 ft holding tank fail. The evaporation is huge!!!!

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

hi thanks for all the help here guys! btw i just bought a n30 2x1.5x1.5 ft tank for $30 and a Aquac Remora Skimmer from sputtler. im intending on doing a sump tank, any advice on where i can get partitions? (i have a spare 2x1x1 tank) or anyone letting go a sump for cheap? thanks!

• SRC Member

hi thanks for all the help here guys! btw i just bought a n30 2x1.5x1.5 ft tank for $30 and a Aquac Remora Skimmer from sputtler. im intending on doing a sump tank, any advice on where i can get partitions? (i have a spare 2x1x1 tank) or anyone letting go a sump for cheap? thanks!

I thought I saw one in Sell off/Pasar Malam Shop recently, you might want to check it out.

Regards,

Billy Cheong

Fyi, saw this FOC from nice bro GoofFish...

FOC 2Ft DIY Sump @ Sell off/Pasar Malam Shop

Cheers and Happy Reefing....

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

About partition, you can get from C328 and PetMart Upp Serengoon... Or try acrylic material from any Hardware shop would be easier... let them know the exact dimension... they can cut for you.... :)

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

Bro if you are really on a budget, anything can be a sump tank as long as it's hidden from view. Sump tank can simply be a pail hidden under the table if you want. Just food for thought :)

Of course, a proper sump will be better coz you have partitions and other funky stuff to house all your filtration etc.

Bro if you are really on a budget, anything can be a sump tank as long as it's hidden from view. Sump tank can simply be a pail hidden under the table if you want. Just food for thought :)

Of course, a proper sump will be better coz you have partitions and other funky stuff to house all your filtration etc.

btw where did u get ur overflow box and how much does it cost? thanks!

• SRC Member

yea thats why i;ll probably do a proper sump so i wont have regrets lol..what did u have in ur sump? medias? or just live rocks and skimmer?

you can have medias, cheatoes, algae scrubber, pumps ( For return, chiller, FR, denitrator, CR, etc..), LR, DSB, etc...

its really a matter of choice... =]

check out lemon's sump.. he've planned it very well..

• SRC Member

yea thats why i;ll probably do a proper sump so i wont have regrets lol..what did u have in ur sump? medias? or just live rocks and skimmer?

btw where did u get ur overflow box and how much does it cost? thanks!

bro mine was done by Ian from I-Aquatics. Solid workmanship, price also v. solid... haha >5 blue notes for 4000+ L/hr overflow. :paiseh:

I don't like my sump to be messy, so my sump only has filter sock (yet to be installed), carbon, phosphate media and biohome.

bro mine was done by Ian from I-Aquatics. Solid workmanship, price also v. solid... haha >5 blue notes for 4000+ L/hr overflow. :paiseh:

I don't like my sump to be messy, so my sump only has filter sock (yet to be installed), carbon, phosphate media and biohome.

haha i dont like the sound of solid.. XD i went down to petmart and their overflow box cost $110. out of my budget :(

you can have medias, cheatoes, algae scrubber, pumps ( For return, chiller, FR, denitrator, CR, etc..), LR, DSB, etc...

its really a matter of choice... =]

check out lemon's sump.. he've planned it very well..

ok sure! well might be getting a canister filter after all if cost to setup the sump is out of my budget

• SRC Member

ok sure! well might be getting a canister filter after all if cost to setup the sump is out of my budget

i wun really recommend canister filter as it will be troublesome to clean... you have to change your filter wool on average 2 times a month and your media about once a month (depends on various factors)

a sump allow you to have easy access and the huge plus point is the larger water volumn...

sump tank is not expensive... the equipments are! lol..

nonetheless its your decision, its not that you cannot use canister but base on personal experience, i dont prefer a canister...

Happy Reefing!

yeap! thanks alot! im afraid of the cost for the pipings for the sump. btw what would be the ideal flow rate for a 2x1.5x1.5 tank?

Hi anothermix,

Just my opinion for starting

Tank can go without sump and canister, weekly WC around 10%( important }

Try not to have so many fishs, choose those more hardly type corals, good lighting.

I believe they will look gd along e way.

Give yrself some time if yr budget is not so tight and yr interest is still there,

u can upgrade to a more bigger tank with better equiment.

My ex nanotank without sump and canister

post-16257-12770008486135_thumb.jpg

ALONG THE WAY U WILL LEARN MORE THING.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Hi anothermix,

I tend to agree with 77tj since you "want to try it out" with $2xx budget.

Attached is my cheapo $100 office tank. It's been running for over 2 yrs.

(1) I moded the little skimmer into the hang-on filter to keep things simple.

(2) The hood is just an upside down paper tray my colleague threw away. I put in the lights.

(3) ...last by not least, the office air-con help out so I don't need to invest on a chiller.

Some food for thought, I hope?

4817148577_0be10c13f0_b.jpg