things inside a sump tank

hi guys! i'll be doing up a 3 partition sump tank soon, need help in knowing what to put in the partitions, i've read up some that puts live rocks in the 1st,

skimmer in the 2nd and lastly the return pump in the 3rd. is putting filter medias necessary? like bio rings and sponge? thanks!

hi guys! i'll be doing up a 3 partition sump tank soon, need help in knowing what to put in the partitions, i've read up some that puts live rocks in the 1st,

skimmer in the 2nd and lastly the return pump in the 3rd. is putting filter medias necessary? like bio rings and sponge? thanks!

Hi bro, typically

1st compartment

when your water from the overflow enters the sump, it should go through the mechanical filtration 1st.

Hence cotton filters (I wold recommend filter socks) should be the 1st step.

You can then put the chemical filtration stage next, which are the carbon, polyfilter here. You can also put the phosphate removers here if you do not have a FR.

Last comes the biohommes/ LR in the lowest part of your last compartment. This is your bilogical filtration.

2nd Compartment

You can place your skimmer here. (you might want to put some cotton on the water overflowing to the 3rd compartment to remove any microbubbles caused by your skimmer.

3rd compartment

Return pump

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• Senior Reefer

no need for liverocks in the sump. it is optional.

filter wool is a good option to trap any detritus. but a filter sock is better.

no need for bio rings. trap alot of dirt and will cause nitrates to rise